+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by youngandearly View Post
    I've always had a receding hairline my whole life (started at a NW2+) , so I assume it's slightly easier for me than for most (who started at NW1/0). Even thought I'm used to it, the comments and jokes are really wearing on me. For some reason bald/balding men are open targets in our society. MPB is simply a matter of genetics, no different than race, height, etc.. For some reason it's considered totally acceptable to mock/comment when its no more a choice than the colour of your skin. If I were to make a comment about someone's race I'd be crucified (figuratively), but when someone makes a joke about my hairline it's considered perfectly acceptable. I really do feel for anyone who's balder than I am, considering the public stigma associated with it and the effect it has on your appearance. I wish that people understood/respected that its not a choice and how sensitive of an issue it can be for people. Just my 2cents, I'd like some of your opinions though.
    More annoying than the jokes was when your Aunt or Uncle tried to sympathize with you. You didn't even know if they were really sympathizing or covertly mocking you! Damn, I really felt like breaking their necks when they used to do that to me!

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    If a person makes fun of hair loss on TV, it's totally acceptable and humorous. Yet if a person makes fun of another person's race or ethnicity, that person would probably be booted off the network.
    That's a very interesting point, I never thought about the effect of Movies/TV on this issue. I guess when people see it on the big screen they feel empowered to do it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    It might not feel like it right now but over time you will develop a thicker skin and the comments wont be quite so upsetting. It's like hearing the same thing over and over, instead of it being hurtful it becomes boring and you'll develop more of a "yeah yeah yeah" attitude. Of course don't be afraid to hit back with something. Someone used to take the mickey out of me about my hair loss until his false teeth came out of his mouth in front of me and desperately made an attempt to cover it up, he doesn't make fun anymore.
    Also don't let people see that it bothers you, if you come across as insecure you'll find that the assholes will be more inclined to make fun or you'll get the condescending sympathy vote and you don't want either. What you want is to project yourself as confident. And trust me if your buddys start losing hair later in life they'll be coming to you cap in hand asking for advice.
    I wish this were an option for me, but as of right now (being 19) it cuts right down to the core of my confidence as much as the hairloss does. How long did it take you to get to where it didn't bother you?

I wish this were an option for me, but as of right now (being 19) it cuts right down to the core of my confidence as much as the hairloss does. How long did it take you to get to where it didn't bother you?
    Honestly, it's taken me a few years. And I'm only 20; started receding at 17/18. This will differ by the individual, though.

Started losing hair at 20, probably stopped caring in my later twenties only because I let it get the best of me. Truth is, you're going to have to toughen up. I wasted my twenties being all upset and sensitive over it, looking back I wish I hadn't. It might not feel like it right now but you will eventually stop feeling quite so bad about it, I know that seems like it's a million miles away right now but it's true, time is a good healer.

Starting to lose my hair at a young age actually motivated me! I'm still at the point where I'm trying to fight it and it is not THAT noticeable. If that day comes when it is (I hope not it doens't!), by then I will have already improved myself in others ways and wont feel as bad about it as I would have if I just moped around depressed about it letting it stop me from living life.

Don't take it too personally, that is just man shit. When guys do that, they are testing you to see how you rank.

You need to hit them back just as hard. I have a friend that sometimes does that with me. He says, stuff about my hair. I put him down instantly. I make fun of his prfoession (a plumber) I call him blue collar, or say I call him next time I clogged my toilet. I have almost made him cry

What the hell is wrong with some people? Seriously? Making someone feel like shit because of traits they have no control over is just a shitty thing to do.

I know I wouldn't go out of my way to make someone feel less than human over something they had no control over (face, body type, height, MPB, disablity, etc), but I know a lot of people in this world would.

Quote Originally Posted by nativer View Post
    Don't take it too personally, that is just man shit. When guys do that, they are testing you to see how you rank.

You need to hit them back just as hard. I have a friend that sometimes does that with me. He says, stuff about my hair. I put him down instantly. I make fun of his prfoession (a plumber) I call him blue collar, or say I call him next time I clogged my toilet. I have almost made him cry
    Heard that. Quick wit and a razor tongue will handle most people.

I had a buddy who would, in jest, make fun of my above average size nose (which didn't bother me a bit). But then, in a drunken douche moment, he tried to make fun of me when we were playing card games with a bunch of girls to shift leverage. I remember instantly making fun of him for being chubby and getting horrible grades in Freshmen level courses, etc. etc.

Cut him down so hard he ended up walking home while sending me fiery, but non-concerning, texts the whole way.

The trick is to come off as unphased and to attack what is mostly likely their source of self-conscious, without skipping a beat.

Exactly, I mean they're gonna use the fact that they have hair as the 'one-up' against you. I've had the laughs, the comments, the smirks, giggles etc....

What I've learnt is, it usually happens once and then dies. Although it can depend on who your 'friends' are.

But ripping someone back harsh, hard and fast can be the way to go. For example I have a friend who has a mullet and made balding comments, I in turn explained that whilst I have no hair and you have a mullet, I am for more physically attractive then you and you are small and insignificant.

Later he admitted he too was going bald...