+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hair coming out easily when running my fingers through my hair

I've been paranoid of my hair ever since my mother pointed out that a my comb is full of hair and my fallen hair is clogging our shover drain. That was when I had fairly long hair (to my chin, now it's pretty short). I think it's worth noting that my hair is very thick and mildly wavy.

I have been running my fingers through my hair every now and then ever since just to check out how much hair is coming out. It's usually between 1-3 strands, but sometimes 4 or even 5. The thing is I can "pull" them out as long as I want. Once I got really frustrated and collected the hair that came off for some time. I could pile up a huge visible pile of hair, one that you can grab and feel. Sometimes there's also some hair on my pillow. After I wash my hair, I usually have a couple of fallen hair strands on my face and in my mouth. Note that I don't use any force when I run my fingers through my hair.

If it's true that the gene for baldness comes from mother's side, it's not very helpful since no men are alive and I don't even know what they looked like. Only some distant male relatives. I have two half-brothers who I share the same mother with. They are both over 30yo (I am 20yo btw) and they have perfect hair.

100 fallen hair strands per day is normal? Sounds a lot and that would make quite a pile. I don't see my friends having fallen hair on their desktops, caps, or bedding. I'm really anxious because my hair is all I have lookswise and I've always been proud of it. My forehead is fairly high so bald would look awful on me.

Please, tell me what you think and should I add some pictures here?

Edit: the hair that comes off has a small white dot in the end that is in my scalp. What is that and does it mean something?

I have the same problems as you lol, no one here really is helpful so I have a dermatologist appointment in a few days,

Tell me everything you learned at the appointment! I've been thinking if I should also see someone who knows more about hairloss and get me some answers, but I'm not sure if I'm only being paranoid and focusing too much on my hair. I also want to know if I'm losing hair for sure so that I can fight against it at the early stages. There's no way I'm going to be bald at this age. That's my worst nightmare.

Inactive

Shedding 100 hairs a day is totally normal. That's not to say that you're not experiencing something more than this, but shedding alone shouldn't alarm you.

One thing to take into consideration is how often you're washing your hair. If you're not washing your hair every single day, then you're going to have lots of hairs shed/accumulate over the course of 48-72 hours, in which case it will seem like it's easy for you to just "run your fingers through your hair and pull out a lot of hairs."

And as much advice as people can give you here, nothing will compare to the answers you'll get if you see a dermatologist in person. And even if you are losing your hair, it's not necessarily indicative of MPB - but this is also something only a physician can tell you. Hope that helps - and try not to stress.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWlylosinghair View Post
    I have the same problems as you lol, no one here really is helpful so I have a dermatologist appointment in a few days,
    Hey, what did the dermatologist say or have you been to the appointment yet?

100 strands are perfectly normal. That's nothing to get worried about. But, if you really
    are feeling bad about it, I think you owe it to yourself to go to a dermatologist and get it checked
    out.It's normal to have between 10 - 15% of our hair in the resting phase. This is true for men who
    aren't going bald, and females as well

You are experiencing anxiety. You see a few hairs in your hand then you start pulling other hairs and often times weaking the roots so others fall out as well. Thats a bad habit to get into.

I went to the derm today. she said I prob have an early onset of MPB, I got a prescription of ketoconazole 2% and she suggests i use rogaine once a day. I have a follow up appointment in 3 months where I can consider whether to get a prescription for finesteride. so yeah.. I dont know what to do because i've heard bad things about ketoconazole and both rogaine. maybe I should have just added finesteride instead of waiting 3 months.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by SLOWlylosinghair View Post
    I went to the derm today. she said I prob have an early onset of MPB, I got a prescription of ketoconazole 2% and she suggests i use rogaine once a day. I have a follow up appointment in 3 months where I can consider whether to get a prescription for finesteride. so yeah.. I dont know what to do because i've heard bad things about ketoconazole and both rogaine. maybe I should have just added finesteride instead of waiting 3 months.
    While I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, just being equipped with answers and some sort of explanation is one of the biggest parts of the battle. Now that you know what you're dealing with, you can start to let the reality of that sink in and then take action on how to handle it moving forward. The medications and a 3 month followup are an excellent step in the right direction.

You're in good company on this forum in terms of guys who have experienced this, and I know how stressful all of this can be. When I first started noticing that I was losing my hair, my anxiety skyrocketed and it became an obsession. A lot of that anxiety stems from this feeling of not having control, so the more you take action and research what options you have at your disposal, a lot of that anxiety will naturally start to dissipate.

Hopefully you respond well to the treatment and you find that this is all very manageable.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by lexer View Post
    You are experiencing anxiety. You see a few hairs in your hand then you start pulling other hairs and often times weaking the roots so others fall out as well. Thats a bad habit to get into.
    I'm not really pulling them, just running my fingers through my hair without using any force. I just counted that I can easily "pull" off 50 strands in a couple of minutes. And I stopped at 50. But yeah, my anxiety is skyrocketing at the moment.