Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by chillout101 View Post
    Greets!

I'm 36 years old with really a good head of hair except for some very slight thinning in a small part of the crown -- nothing wrong at the temples - so I consider myself very lucky to be approaching 40 with 20 something-hair. I have maybe a handful of grays here and there but I like them. I'd love to rock the salt-n-pepper at some point.

However, like so many of you out there I wanted to be proactive about thinning hair so I've started reading about it because I was considering an approach of: Rogaine, Propecia, and Nizoral shampoo (OTC).

Now the Rogaine foam (I think it's 5% minoxodil?) and Nizoral I started about a month ago and that's been really really easy. The Nizoral I use 3x a week tops because it can irritate a little but the Rogaine I use every day and on occassion I'll skip a day. Because I have minor thinning I'm not really checking for progress, I'll just do it and check it every few months or so.

Now -- I was ready to finally add Propecia to the regimen which means a doctor's visit. I really didn't want to see a doc so I looked online to see if I could get the pills without a prescription so I did a Google on it and yes, it looks like you can get it without a prescription from some sleazy looking companies.

So then one of the results was "propecia side effects" so I checked it out and was thinking, ehh maybe headaches or something stupid... Then I started reading about significant concerns with ED, but I thought it's probably a really small percentage and with my crazy libido, it's not gonna happen to me.

But then I even came across a website dedicated to potential and possibly "proven" long-term ED from propecia. I swear this is not SPAM - I wouldn't waste my time on a Friday night spamming for some website.

Anyway, after a real Swiss study they had to update the Propecia leaflet document (in Switzerland) to include the following in the Possible Side Effects section:

Frequency unknown:
    * difficulty having an erection after discontinuation of treatment
    * infertility has been reported in men who took finasteride for long time and had other risk factors that may affect fertility

Is the above a real concern for anyone?? I

http://www.propeciasideeffects.com/index.htm

And here's just one post:

http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2279

Is this happening to anyone here??
    Yes to take or not to take is the debate, if you look at www.mesomorphisis.com this is a site for Mens Health focusing on endocrine system, put in Finesteride or propecia and search, most say its poison on that site, hard to know, some say it keeps away prostrate cancer. The bit that worries me is in the manufacturers leaflet with the tablets its says that side effects such as ED etc USUALLY go away after stopping the meds, its does NOT say the side effects WILL go away after stopping meds. There is quite a few guys on that site saying the sides are there permanently after stopping taking it. Im still on the fence but not taking any yet