+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice needed for 21 year old... laser therapy?

Hi guys

I've lurked this forum for a while and am currently in need of some advice.

I'm 21 and have been experiencing gradual hair thinning since roughly 19. My hairline is still present but both sides have thinned significantly... The top of my head has also thinned but not as visible.

I recently had a consultation with a local (UK) clinic. With little knowledge of hair loss and its stages, I assumed what had already thinned or shed was permanent and I assumed a transplant was my best option.
    I was shown a close up (forgive my terminology) of my thinning hair and the consultant explained the build up of DHT etc.
    He then said I'd be better suited to LLLT... He emphasised that my hair follicles are still present but the growth is being blocked by the DHT and that, with this therapy, I may be able to regrow what I've lost.

My main question: if there truly is a 'stage' of the DHT build up where it can still be manipulated by a laser? Does the DHT gradually kill of the hair follicle for good, and have I just caught it at a good time?

Or am I being told what I want to hear just so I pay up?

I'm trying my best to research into this procedure and its efficiency but I wonder if laser therapy works better on individuals where the DHT build up is still in its infancy? - and, assuming the consultants diagnosis is accurate, wouldn't work as well on an individual with a more extreme situation.

I'll be incredibly grateful for any advice. Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by godoflight View Post
    Hi guys

I've lurked this forum for a while and am currently in need of some advice.

I'm 21 and have been experiencing gradual hair thinning since roughly 19. My hairline is still present but both sides have thinned significantly... The top of my head has also thinned but not as visible.

I recently had a consultation with a local (UK) clinic. With little knowledge of hair loss and its stages, I assumed what had already thinned or shed was permanent and I assumed a transplant was my best option.
    I was shown a close up (forgive my terminology) of my thinning hair and the consultant explained the build up of DHT etc.
    He then said I'd be better suited to LLLT... He emphasised that my hair follicles are still present but the growth is being blocked by the DHT and that, with this therapy, I may be able to regrow what I've lost.

My main question: if there truly is a 'stage' of the DHT build up where it can still be manipulated by a laser? Does the DHT gradually kill of the hair follicle for good, and have I just caught it at a good time?

Or am I being told what I want to hear just so I pay up?

I'm trying my best to research into this procedure and its efficiency but I wonder if laser therapy works better on individuals where the DHT build up is still in its infancy? - and, assuming the consultants diagnosis is accurate, wouldn't work as well on an individual with a more extreme situation.

I'll be incredibly grateful for any advice. Thanks for reading
    Sounds like finasteride 1mg once a day and minoxidil 5% applied twice a day to full scalp is your first step.

Review in 1 year.