+ Reply to Thread

Default What is with my Right Temple?

Hi all,

I'm a 17 year old asian male and i have a weird "bald spot" on my right temple. I'm not sure whether i've had this since birth, but i am certain that i have had this since i was 13. I don't think it has progressed any further than when i first noticed it. If i look very closely, where my face is less than a inch away from the mirror, i can see very small vellus hairs on the spot. What condition is this? My Left temple is barely receded like a norwood 1-1.5-ish which i don't find a problem. My hair is in my opinion, thick and i do not shed excessively. I don't style my hair in very tight styles or if at all, i generally just let it down somewhat in like a korean style. I have a relatively high hairline (i think, the width of 4 fingers) and I also have a widows peak that i have had throughout my life.

Pictures of my right temple when wet : https://imgur.com/a/daU0Fj4

Pictures of my right temple when dry (under bright lighting) : https://imgur.com/a/48Ah3E5

My hair pulled to the side : https://imgur.com/a/mqekUye

My Father is balding or bald with a thin norwood 3 at 55, i'm not sure when he started balding but i remember my mom saying when i was a lot younger that he was bald. My maternal grandfather still has a decent amount of hair even though it is quite thin in his late 70s and my paternal grandfather still has a rather thick amount of hair in roughly the same age. My brother has a straight hairline but his hairline is higher than mine and is currently 21.

Please let me know what you think, and if any more information is needed.

It does look as if you have an early receding hairline, however as you say it has been like that since age 13 and hasn't got any worse... then it's hard to know what to think. I would just keep an a close eye on it and maybe take photos every few months to see if it is receding any further. All the best.

Inactive

Do you have a picture straight on showing both temples?

If it hasn't receded further since you were 13, it could just be that your hairline isn't symmetrical. So while it may be a cosmetic nuisance, it may not necessarily be related to MPB or anything progressive at this point.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.