+ Reply to Thread

Default 2 1/2 years off Propecia

Hi All,

I can't believe how much time has passed already. I was on fin for 3 yrs (1mg/day) and had great results.

Today, 2 1/2 years later and things r much different. I'm still not 'bald' but most of my head basically has miniaturized hair. It's for me the dramatic decrease in overall hair quality which is brutal. I've lost a tremendous amount of hair but worse the hair I still have is flimsy & brittle. I look older too. While on fin people were always telling me how I looked younger than my age. Those days r gone and I feel overall less attractive.

Health wise I feel the best I ever felt. My girlfriend & I have a fun, active & healthy sex life.

I still struggle with acceptance after 2 1/2 years off. I'm a diffuse thinner and I'm on track to be diffuse 'bald' (I.e. See through hair across my head) within the next 5+ years. There r still days I want back on fin but I don't take any medication other than a multi-vitamin so feel good about that.

If u r thinking about coming off fin be mindful that the hairloss would not happen overnight. Also try to enjoy your hair while on it. I use to have a full thick head of hair and even if I went back on fin now I could never get it back considering all the hair I've lost.

Best of luck to all.

Why did you stop?

Didn't feel good ingesting something that reduced my DHT & I it went again a few personal values (i.e. Learning to accept myself). It's taken a lot of courage but making slow progress.

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    Didn't feel good ingesting something that reduced my DHT & I it went again a few personal values (i.e. Learning to accept myself). It's taken a lot of courage but making slow progress.
    Do you regret coming off fin ?

Forgot to add that I never felt any sides. However, after about 3 weeks off fin I could feel a significant difference. My libido went up and I felt 'stronger'...I did not notice the subtle drop in libido till I got off it.

I feel proud being off fin. It just felt like the right thing for me. However, it hasn't been easy. I loved feeling more attractive than I do now. I personally have nothing against fin but my 15 yr old nephew has really bad hair and he'll most likely be q-tip bald at a young age and I want to model courage for him & myself.

Good for you for giving up finasteride. At this point that decision isn't for me. I don't want to go bald so I will do what I need to, within reason, to keep what I have. But I really do give you credit for being able to move forward drug free.

Inactive

Good to see you making the decision that's right for you. That's the scary part of going off a drug like this: you don't know how much it's actually been helping you until you go off of it. Glad you're happy with the decision though and that your life otherwise is thriving. Proof positive that you don't have to have a full head of hair to have a happy, healthy love life, sex life, and social life. Good for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Good for you for giving up finasteride. At this point that decision isn't for me. I don't want to go bald so I will do what I need to, within reason, to keep what I have. But I really do give you credit for being able to move forward drug free.
    This.

My aim is to stay on fin for another couple of years until a new maintenance product without hormonal issues comes out. Is that naive ?