+ Reply to Thread
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Scott Alexander, MD's Avatar

Default Dr. Scott Alexander patient

This patient is one year post-op from a 2831 graft transplant. We have included a photo from one week post-op. This patient had 748 1 hair grafts, 1812 2 hair grafts and 271 3+ hair grafts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a sm preop.jpg

Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	158   Click image for larger version

Name:	b sm immediately post op.jpg

Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	159   Click image for larger version

Name:	c sm 1wk post op.jpg

Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	160   Click image for larger version

Name:	d sm 1yr post op.jpg

Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	161   Click image for larger version

Name:	e sm 1yr post op.jpg

Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	162   Click image for larger version

Name:	f sm 1yr post op.jpg

Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	163  
    Scott Alexander, MD www.drscottalexander.com
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Just beautiful Doc - He must be itching to get back in the chair for more if thats what 2800 can do for him - any plans for a hair greed sitting?

Great use of the gents hair characteristic.
    Last edited by Spex; 12-10-2008 at 10:03 AM.

What a nice transformation. If it's possible to have such good coverage with less than 3000 grafts on a person who is quite bald like this one, why then do we see so many 4000 plus photos circulating around? Wouldn't it be best to use as little donor hair as possible to achieve a good look? This way if you continue to bald you will have reserve. Am I correct about this?

I have more hair than this person and was told that I could have 4000 grafts placed in one sitting. I don't think I need that many judging from these photos.

All depends on the individuals goal of what the want to and what can be achieved for them by a competent Doc. Hair characteristics play a vital role in the number of grafts required to create the illusion of coverage. Combine that with the patients goal, donor supply, age, loss pattern, previous surgery etc - Many variables contribute to size session required - We are all very different.

Hair characteristics play a vital role in the overall illusion and success of a HT. Some patients have more favourable hair characteristics and therefore need less grafts to gain their personal goal. Someone with fine, straight, thin hair is going to require more grafts to achieve a similar result than for example someone with coarse, wavy, thick hair.

Remember Hair transplantation is the "art of illusion". With the appropriate placement and use of your hairs characteristic the illusion can be achieved very well - the more favourable your hair characteristic is ie; wavy, thick hair means the illusion can occur with fewer grafts if positioned correctly.

Our hairs characteristics all vary but be aware of your own when embarking into HT's and how it can aid or not aid the illusion. In brief - Patients with very similar loss patterns may not have the same hair characteristic. Therefore they will require a different amount of grafts to achieve a similar result in terms of illusion, coverage, density.

Hair transplants are all about the art of illusion ;-)
    Last edited by Spex; 12-10-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    All depends on the individuals goal of what the want to and what can be achieved for them by a competent Doc. Hair characteristics play a vital role in the number of grafts required to create the illusion of coverage. Combine that with the patients goal, donor supply, age, loss pattern, previous surgery etc - Many variables contribute to size session required - We are all very different.

Hair characteristics play a vital role in the overall illusion and success of a HT. Some patients have more favourable hair characteristics and therefore need less grafts to gain their personal goal. Someone with fine, straight, thin hair is going to require more grafts to achieve a similar result than for example someone with coarse, wavy, thick hair.

Remember Hair transplantation is the "art of illusion". With the appropriate placement and use of your hairs characteristic the illusion can be achieved very well - the more favourable your hair characteristic is ie; wavy, thick hair means the illusion can occur with fewer grafts if positioned correctly.

Our hairs characteristics all vary but be aware of your own when embarking into HT's and how it can aid or not aid the illusion. In brief - Patients with very similar loss patterns may not have the same hair characteristic. Therefore they will require a different amount of grafts to achieve a similar result in terms of illusion, coverage, density.

Hair transplants are all about the art of illusion ;-)
    Thanks Spex. Much appreciated!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Scott Alexander, MD's Avatar

Amedeus,

There are different variables to consider, the quality of hair being transplanted and density of donor area are all important factors to determining how dense to transplant in the front. If you have good quality of hair that will give good coverage, then 2500-3000 grafts are all you would need to achieve a great look for the front. You also need to notice that I don't give Patients 20 year old hairlines, but give them resessions in the temporal regions to guarantee plenty of donor hair for the future. I think it is very wise for you to be thinking of the future because you may never know what balding you may have down the road. Thank you for all your support!

Dr. Scott Alexander
    Scott Alexander, MD www.drscottalexander.com
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Alexander, MD View Post
    Amedeus,

There are different variables to consider, the quality of hair being transplanted and density of donor area are all important factors to determining how dense to transplant in the front. If you have good quality of hair that will give good coverage, then 2500-3000 grafts are all you would need to achieve a great look for the front. You also need to notice that I don't give Patients 20 year old hairlines, but give them resessions in the temporal regions to guarantee plenty of donor hair for the future. I think it is very wise for you to be thinking of the future because you may never know what balding you may have down the road. Thank you for all your support!

Dr. Scott Alexander
    Thank you very much for your response Dr. Alexander. It seems like doctors are displaying bigger and bigger numbers just to get our attention. I much prefer taking it a little slow and seeing how it goes then having 5000 grafts taken when I might not even need that many. Who knows if I would have been happy with 2800? I'd be out much more money and could have been just as happy with less.