+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE decided but 2,500 hairs?

Hello people,
    I've had a recent consultation with a UK surgeon for FUE and he's quoted me for 2500 hairs (£5500).
    Since the consultation I've studied some old photographs and it seems the surgeon wants to give me a hairline far further forward than what I was born with, I realise now I should have first investigated my hair loss before the consultation so I could better explain what I want but I didn't have access to my old photo's until today.

I'm 33 and my hair loss has been very slow the past 10 years almost to the point it's stopped the past 5 years so possibly lifestyle related. My father is 65 and he's a Norwood 3, placing myself as a Norwood 2 in terms of hair line position and not loss. My hair is very fine and straight and I wear it short back and sides. I've never taken any medication to control my hair loss and I straight refuse to take any such drugs.

My friend and I have have worked out the surface area I need in relation to the line in the photo with a hair scope to find the line of normal density and we're sure the surface area that needs work is no more than 12 square centimetres per side, I need 24 square centimetres in total, very possibly less as our estimate was very liberal. The line in the photo is 6 cm and the 12 cm2 per side calculation came from a 6cm(length) x 4cm(height) triangle.

Maybe it seems I'm trying to save on the cost but that isn't the case, I only wish to save my harvest area for possible future procedures and to get the hair line with the exact curve in the photos which is the hairline I was born with.

Any advice or opinions with regards to my post and situation I'd be very grateful but I'd also like to know if there's any surgeons in the UK that would be recommended for my case and does my previous quote for 2500 hairs seem excessive? I was thinking about a second consultation with Harley Street, not sure if that's a good idea, anyway thanks for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1888.jpg

Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	12597  

Quote Originally Posted by Mark78 View Post
    I've never taken any medication to control my hair loss and I straight refuse to take any such drugs.

Any advice or opinions with regards to my post and situation...
    Take your time, don't rush into it, get more than one opinion and try to find a doctor who is an IAHRS member. Also make sure you understand the possible consequences of having surgery without making an effort to slow down, arrest or reverse your hair loss.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

Take some time to listen to the "The Bald Truth" broadcast. It has a lot of guy talk going on but there is some good information being shared. Here is one from 11-12-2011.

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-los...-truth-112711/

First of all you really need to do more research. there are some great FUE surgeons in the IAHRS. You should be willing to travel to get the best. There is Dr. Patrick Mwamba, in Belgium, who invented FIT/FUE with Dr. Cole and there is Dr. Feriduni, who is also an FUE expert in belgium . Go to www.iahrs.org to find a list of top docs, before you consider having FUE surgery. The hairline that you show drawn is WAY too low, so no reputable doctor would ever attemt to bring your hairline to such an unnatrual position.

And Tracy is right listen to The Bald Truth, best show and every educational.

Quote Originally Posted by J_B_Davis View Post
    First of all you really need to do more research. there are some great FUE surgeons in the IAHRS. You should be willing to travel to get the best. There is Dr. Patrick Mwamba, in Belgium, who invented FIT/FUE with Dr. Cole and there is Dr. Feriduni, who is also an FUE expert in belgium . Go to www.iahrs.org to find a list of top docs, before you consider having FUE surgery. The hairline that you show drawn is WAY too low, so no reputable doctor would ever attemt to bring your hairline to such an unnatrual position.

And Tracy is right listen to The Bald Truth, best show and every educational.
    My previous research gave me the impression that a procedure in the UK wasn't the way to go and that Belgium and America were the wiser choices.
    I've also researched enough to know I'm a suitable candidate for FUE and that FUT isn't the better option. I didn't do much research on the possible side effects for not using Propecia or such like but I'll be sure to do that next.

The hairline I've drawn is based on a closeup photo taken 15 years ago when my hair was very short and hairline was pronounced giving me an accurate impression of what it once was, I'm surprised anybody would think it's 'low' because my hairline has always been considered as high, I was even able to see my old hair follicles down to this line with the hair scope which is what I also used to help draw the line. I think the fact my head is bowed, the shape of my head and quality of the photo makes my drawn hairline possibly seem lower than it really is, I hope the better quality picture I've attached from a different angle gives a better idea. My consulting surgeon told me to reverse frown (raise eyebrows) and that where my facial muscles finished would be where my new hairline would finish making his proposed hairline much lower than the one I've drawn, he even wants work on the very side temples of my head where my hair is shaved short which is certainly not what I want.

Thanks so far people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1880.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	12608