Shedding while on Propecia, help! - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shedding while on Propecia, help!

Hey, Im 22 years old and have been taking propecia for 2 months and 1 week. Prior to taking the medication, I had a full set of hair, but wanted to be on the "safe" side. Now however, my hair has become very thin. I shed a great deal everyday for about the past 2 months, and now it is becoming unbearable. I have read where shedding could be normal for the first 3 months, but I see no signs of it stopping anytime soon. Is there anyone out there with a similar experience and/or the problem had been rectified after the 3 months. Thank you for your input!!

Hey dude,

welcome to the forum!

I'm in the same boat as you. I started propecia 2months and 3 weeks ago and my hair is definitely thinner than before I started. At the moment there just seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel and I cant envisage my hair ever getting better.

But I know it will. Everyone has just said that you gotta hang in there. Apparently shedding is a good thing so I'm hoping thus is right.

I am using a little Nanogen just to cover up any patches I think look particularly thin, but that's only a temporary solution til shedding eases off.

Same happened to me exactly the same time into my treatment regime. Commonly accepted knowledge is that shedding is a sign that Propecia/finasteride is actually working, it's kicking out 'weak' hairs, or so I understand it. jpm's right, hang in there.

thanks for your replys
    1)Kirby- so you are currently going through a similar experience or you went through one and eventually saw results

also to both, was your thinning all over? mine seems to be from the top, sides, and back! thanks

mine is all over the top, crown, mid scalp, behind hairline.

I took a photo of my crown today and was shocked by how thin it was!! hopefully this will thicken up with fin!

its not a very fun feeling, jpm, have you heard of many people in our situation who eventually found results

Quote Originally Posted by mcw View Post
    its not a very fun feeling, jpm, have you heard of many people in our situation who eventually found results
    yeah just reading across the various forums loads of people talk about the dark days of shedding/no results and think it won't work for them, then 8+months on they start noticing a difference.

I've had no sides and my hair has only got thinner so I did think it wasn't working...though I'm sure it is.

propecia is effective in 9 out of 10 people and my understanding is that the younger you are the more effective it is, so at 22 we are both pretty young!

Quote Originally Posted by mcw View Post
    thanks for your replys
    1)Kirby- so you are currently going through a similar experience or you went through one and eventually saw results

also to both, was your thinning all over? mine seems to be from the top, sides, and back! thanks
    Yes, went through the shed just before two months on fin. Wasn't nice. Looked worse than ever, thinner, awful. Even my girlfriend, who before then denied I had MPB, acknowledged something miss.

Also have thinning all over, well by all over I mean the parts of the head that are affected by MPB in men.

kirby, that sounds about exactly what is going on with me. but i am confused, you say "went" as in your not shedding/experiencing this anymore?

Shedding is a normal part of treating hair loss with medication. I have experienced at least two shedding phases while using finasteride (which I've been on since late 2010) and ketoconazole shampoo (which I've been on for a bit longer). But the net results have been a very noticeable improvement in my hair.
    If it seems to be more than just finasteride-related, you should consider seeing a doctor. There are quite a few things that can cause hair loss. However, if you're only losing hairs in the "DHT-sensitive" areas, that's a sign that your regimen is working.