+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Propecia and the gym

Hi,
    I've been on propecia for just over 2 months and I've decided to hit the gym. I'd like to put on a bit of weight because I'm quite skinny! Nothing drastic, not looking to body build, just maybe some more strength and muscle definition. I will be going 3 times a week.

Just wondered if going to the gym will affect my propecia, or vice versa. I'm not going to take any supplements like creatine because I have read it can raise dht levels!

Your thoughts would be greatly received

Great question. Im about to go to the gym myself and was wondering the same thing. Would love to hear from a doctor or doctors rep or someone who has been told advice from a doctor.

Supplements do not boost DHT levels, they boost testosterone levels which in turn means there is more free T floating around to be converted to DHT.

So it is inevitable that if you take a workout program seriously you will be boosting your T levels to begin with which will in turn boost the amount of DHT. To what degree? Thats person dependent and unanswerable.

You will read a lot on body building forums about guys taking aromatase inhibiters and DHT blockers for a reason. Guys with high T and high DHT and the evil hair will lose it at an accelerated rate. Thus they take a DHT blocker. Unfortunately this then means DHT is not there to antagonize and prevent the conversion of T to E (estradiol) - with an unnatural balance at play like that you will inevitably get side effects, which ones and to what degree is a genetic unknown until the road has been traveled (this is something that should be studied, but honestly who wants to risk it?!). Therefore AI's are also taken to keep the E levels in check.

Let me clarify:

Unless you plan to unnaturally boost your T - don't worry so much about that last paragraph I wrote. I just wanted to try to make it a bit more clear if you search for "propecia weight lifting" and read some forum on a bodybuilding website.

Yes, if you lift you may see a shed occur since your DHT is going to go up.

But look on the bright side - the best looking bald(ing) guys also have muscular definition and good physiques

Thanks for the reply.

I read on Wikipedia (i know its not the most reliable of places) that creatine boosts dht production.

would the increase of T adversely affect propecia's function? Would it make it less effective if there is more T in the body? or will this be inhibited?

Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I read on Wikipedia (i know its not the most reliable of places) that creatine boosts dht production.

would the increase of T adversely affect propecia's function? Would it make it less effective if there is more T in the body? or will this be inhibited?
    DHT is not a hormone that is produced, it is converted from testosterone by the enzyme 5 Alpha Reductase. Finasteride binds to the 5AR receptor thereby preventing/lessening any conversion that relies on 5AR.

Effectiveness is rather relative quite honestly. Your hair may be more sensitive to DHT then another, and while Propecia works for you now with your DHT levels where they are, having those levels altered because testosterone was raised may decrease its relative effectiveness but again, it is an unknown per person until the road is traveled.

Thumbs up

This is a good thread -

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=488

As long as you eat a healthy diet and balance any resistance training with cardio, then you should be fine. I would avoid Creatine and even be wary of other supplements. Whilst Testosterone levels will be raised during exercise, this is temporary and providing that you are not looking to adopt a heavy body building regime, then you should be ok.

On a personal level, I have found the above to be true. A common sense approach should prevail to avoid any problems.

Here is another from Dr Charles -

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3904

thanks for all your responses.

I'll only be doing the gym 2 or 3 times a week and nowhere near the level of intensity of a body builder. if you saw me and then thought body builder you would die of laughter.

I'm hoping my gym sessions won't cancel out fin! but just one more question about protein shakes. I have read that they do increase T and therefore DHT, I've read they dont, I've read some shakes do and some don't etc etc.

can anyone one clarify?

thanks

Thumbs up

Personally I avoid the lot. If you eat a balanced diet, it's surplus to requirement anyway. Good luck!