+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 61 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by barfacan View Post
    I really would like to see just how much of an effect lobbying has on the progression of hair loss treatments..
    I m sure Lobbying has a huge effect in this whole thing. Maybe they already have a cure, but its better for them to sell all crapy products.....makes more money

Quote Originally Posted by Occulus View Post
    A protocol that resulted in 30% regrowth would be the biggest development since finasteride. It would be the biggest development of this generation. I would be ecstatic for something that resulted in a reliable 15% or even 10% regrowth, as there is nothing on the market that can produce that outcome. 10% regrowth would mean about 10,000 new hairs - something even a mega transplant session can't do.
    What's minoxidil's regrowth percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by Occulus View Post
    A protocol that resulted in 30% regrowth would be the biggest development since finasteride. It would be the biggest development of this generation. I would be ecstatic for something that resulted in a reliable 15% or even 10% regrowth, as there is nothing on the market that can produce that outcome. 10% regrowth would mean about 10,000 new hairs - something even a mega transplant session can't do.
    Don't those percentage of regrowth statements mean the percentage of what's left up there, rather than the percentage of hairs a person can possibly have on their head?

Quote Originally Posted by allTheGoodNamesAreTaken View Post
    Don't those percentage of regrowth statements mean the percentage of what's left up there, rather than the percentage of hairs a person can possibly have on their head?
    I assumed it meant 10% of a healthy head of hair. Otherwise, if you're a NW7, 10% of zero would be zero regrowth.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    I m sure Lobbying has a huge effect in this whole thing. Maybe they already have a cure, but its better for them to sell all crapy products.....makes more money
    I posted a comment similar to this on another thread that ended up getting buried but this conspiracy theory makes NO sense to me. I looked up how many men and women suffer from hair loss in the U.S and it exceeds 55 million total. Only a small fraction of this number (something like 1 million) actually seek treatment options for hairloss because they are so outdated and ineffective.

Just assume you have a government-funded or even independent research facility that came up with a "cure" AKA could bring a NW 7 to a NW 1. It's extremely hard to predict the cost of something so revolutionary, but just say for the hell of it, a one time treatment would cost $ 10 thousand. Then assume maybe there's a tier 2 option for working class people who could not afford that and it isn't quite as effective, but it also costs half as much. How many people would spring for this cure? I think a very conservative 70 percent of all employed people. Again, these numbers are all rough averages and guesstimations but it does give you an idea of how filthy f*cking rich you could become with a hairloss cure. .7(55,000,000) X $7,500 = over $280 BILLION dollars. lol....I haven't seen their financial statements but I don't think Fin is doing quite that well..

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    I posted a comment similar to this on another thread that ended up getting buried but this conspiracy theory makes NO sense to me. I looked up how many men and women suffer from hair loss in the U.S and it exceeds 55 million total. Only a small fraction of this number (something like 1 million) actually seek treatment options for hairloss because they are so outdated and ineffective.

Just assume you have a government-funded or even independent research facility that came up with a "cure" AKA could bring a NW 7 to a NW 1. It's extremely hard to predict the cost of something so revolutionary, but just say for the hell of it, a one time treatment would cost $ 10 thousand. Then assume maybe there's a tier 2 option for working class people who could not afford that and it isn't quite as effective, but it also costs half as much. How many people would spring for this cure? I think a very conservative 70 percent of all employed people. Again, these numbers are all rough averages and guesstimations but it does give you an idea of how filthy f*cking rich you could become with a hairloss cure. .7(55,000,000) X $7,500 = over $280 BILLION dollars. lol....I haven't seen their financial statements but I don't think Fin is doing quite that well..

Quote Originally Posted by BiqqieSmalls View Post
    What's minoxidil's regrowth percentage?
    I don't know, but anecdotal evidence suggests zero, and only a marginal maintenance effect.

Hair transplants are *BIG* Business; Many people get 2,3 or more procedures throughout their lifetimes which means big $$$ for these transplant surgeons upper class opulent lifestyles. You don't think if somebody came out with an effective treatment that they'd do everything in their power to squash it? This is resistance to innovation 101 -- rich powerful groups stand to lose alot should something better than their product/service come along.

If such treatments become available to the mainstream, then thousands of these surgeons will be put out of business. Remember, this is a smart segment of the population, they'll be able to organize and do everything they can to delay the inevitable...Doesn't mean that they'll succeed (I personally don't think they will be successful, thanks to the information age, but i do think that lobbying/buying out the competition has played a part in the delays of finding more effective treatments to date).

It's just the way things work.

I dont really agree that hair transplant doctors for example could stop some new treatment or cure from coming out. The amount of money a new treatment will bring in dwarfs any amount say hair transplant docs could put together while still maintaining their business. There are real world examples of near cures or preventative treatments that have been released without being shut down by whoever stands to profit off that. The reason there is no cure though is just its too complicated with too many unknown pieces and relationships which medicine is horrible at figuring out.

Quote Originally Posted by barfacan View Post
    Hair transplants are *BIG* Business; Many people get 2,3 or more procedures throughout their lifetimes which means big $$$ for these transplant surgeons upper class opulent lifestyles. You don't think if somebody came out with an effective treatment that they'd do everything in their power to squash it? This is resistance to innovation 101 -- rich powerful groups stand to lose alot should something better than their product/service come along.

If such treatments become available to the mainstream, then thousands of these surgeons will be put out of business. Remember, this is a smart segment of the population, they'll be able to organize and do everything they can to delay the inevitable...Doesn't mean that they'll succeed (I personally don't think they will be successful, thanks to the information age, but i do think that lobbying/buying out the competition has played a part in the delays of finding more effective treatments to date).

It's just the way things work.
    I can't imagine how they could do anything to get in the way of the cell-based treatments and the drugs in trials now won't be some magical 100% reversal anyway. If something was very effective at stopping further progression I'd be much more open to the idea of a hair transplant. Continued hairloss and the prospect of an unknown number of operations is probably one of the top reasons people are hesitant to get one. I reckon knocking out that problem would probably get HT doctors more customers if anything.