FUE 3200 grafts with Dr. Gabel May 18,19 2018 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE 3200 grafts with Dr. Gabel May 18,19 2018

I will try to keep it short. So after years of thinking I finally decided to go through FUE surgery (3000 folicles) I think I am NW4 - 5. After searching for a while I decided to go with Dr. Gabel. Looked at his work and after talking to bunch of other doctors, Gabel made everything clear from start. He even called me on a weekend when I wanted to know some things from him. Overall a straight shooter, after I saw his work and other reviews I became little more confident and believed in him. So far looks like I'm right.

Like all others, I had FUE vs FUT decision to make and I wanted to have an option to bring down my hair very low if needed in the future and do not want to have the big scar across. (And I did not like the complication of stitches) 

Dr. Gabel recommended FUE over 2 days, I asked him if this can be done in a day since I do not want to be in surgery for two days, he explained me doing it in one day would be hectic and may not yield in good result. He said second day is going to be little difficult but will be much quicker than first day.

Day 1: I booked a hotel near the hospital for 4 days and drove to the hotel the day before the surgery had a good night sleep and was asked to meet in hospital by 6:30 early morning (little early for me but its okay).

For next couple of hours we went through constructing hair line, I wanted the hairline to be little aggressive and Dr. Gabel discussed about density and after back and forth we decided on the hairline I liked - he was really straight forward which I liked very much, and he explained me how the day will be progressed and had to sign bunch of forms. Took Diazepam and ibuprofen, shaved my head and changed to surgery clothing and proceeded to the surgery room, I was meet by 5 technicians who are ready to go by the word of the doctor. Immediately Dr. Gabel came in and started with anesthesia injections which I am not going to lie are little painful (but I was warned before the injections so I prepared for it) after that Dr. Gabel started with extractions, he said we would probably do 1600-1700 on the first day and remaining on day two. Dr. Gabel did all the extraction with the technician helping to remove the extracts. This went for next two hours and technicians are counting the extracted hair giving the numbers to the doctor. Then Dr. Gabel started with slots for placing the follicles, some times the anesthesia wore off and I started getting some pain in that area, but upon mentioning this to Dr. Gabel more anesthesia injections helped to get rid of the pain. After this, lunch was provided which tasted pretty good. And after quick lunch, Dr. Gabel and technicians started placing the grafts in the slots that were placed before lunch. Both doctor and technicians made sure I am comfortable all the time and made it as simple as possible, with valium I dozed of couple of times as well. After another 3 hours of placement and we are done for the day. they informed my friend to pick me up and then gave me ATP liquid to spay on grafts and head cap while I head home for the night. Overall, very good experience for the first day.

Sleeping at night for Day 1 is challenging even though Dr. Gabel mentioned I can sleep on my donor area but be careful not to touch the recipient area, I was extra cautious and slept on a sitting chair which made it little challenging. No pain what so ever, I was in pretty good shape (did not even have to take pain medication)

Day 2: I was asked to meet at the hospital again at 6:30 AM for day 2. After reaching the hospital, things are pretty much similar to day 1 but much faster since they know what they have been working on, by 4 PM on day 2 we are done. Same thing they called my friend to pick me up and reached the hotel.
    Dr. Gabel also did 200 more than we discussed (in total 3200) which I appreciate.

Sleeping on day 2 is also challenging, i had to struggle a bit to get a good angle but it was better than day 1. I also visited the hospital for quick washes on day 3, day 4 (What surprised me here is day 3 is Sunday and even then Dr. Gabel and his fellow assistants were there just for me, washed my hair and answered all the silly question I had for them) I should say I was really comfortable with the way they treated me and appreciate their patience. For HT, patience is key.

Day 5- 7 : I was being careful not to rub my recipient area and was covering my head with a special cloth I was given by the doctor. Have some itching but I am resisting myself against them. No pain for me, it was really itching on day 6 that bothered me but after that it was okay.

Here is breakdown :

Day 1 :
    1-Hair: 128 (7.8%)
    2-Hair: 953 (57.9%)
    3-Hair: 523 (31.8%)
    4-Hair: 41 (2.5%)
    Total : 1,645

Day 2 :
    1-Hair: 74 (4.7%)
    2-Hair: 643 (41.2%)
    3-Hair: 719 (46.1%)
    4-Hair: 123 (7.9%)
    Total: 1,559

Total :3,204 (204 more than we discussed, thanks to Dr. Gabel)

Overall, very satisfied with the HT, Dr. Gabel took really good care and very available for any questions, I am glad my decision is right so far. I am going to periodically update this thread with the progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	After Day 1 (2).jpg

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	57725   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Day 1.jpg

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	57726   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Day1 (3).jpg

Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	57727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before HT.jpg

Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	57728  

Default Day 5

Day 5 : Pics attached

Name:	Day 5 (1).jpg

Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	57729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 5.jpg

Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	57730  

Default Day 12-13

Day 12-13: Donor area is completely recovered (no visible scars). looks clean

Name:	Day 12.jpg

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	57731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 13 (1).jpg

Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	57732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 13.jpg

Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	57733  

Default One month update

Almost all the transplanted hair is shredded now. Hoping for good results in next few months

Donor area looks good

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	57814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	57815  

Optimus, how is your HT progress going ? It would be great to see an updated photo.

4 month update : Adding pics

Have some progress but still waiting for more density

Name:	IMG_3590.jpg

Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	59038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3591.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	59039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603.jpg

Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	59040  

Hows you getting on now mate?

Hey Optimus, I am from Seattle and recently got HT with Dr. Gabel. Both anxious and excited at the same time. Could you share your final results? The one worry that I am having is that the density feels less for 2000 grafts (I had 2000 grafts transplanted).