Skin ageing with Minoxidil - Can it be reversed and how to help reversal? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Skin ageing with Minoxidil - Can it be reversed and how to help reversal?

Hi all,

(I have been through and read many of the previous threads posted on this and other forums. I'm aware of the debate surrounding the issue and will state my case as facts as they pertain to me)

A bit of my background:
    2014 Started Regaine foam 5%, applied intermittently

2015 Stopped Regaine. First noticed my skin worsened but did not pay it any further attention nor link it to Regaine

2016 Started Minoxidil 5% with azelaic acid AND finasteride 1mg. Again thought my skin was getting worse but again gave no further attention to it

2017 Randomly came across some web posts where somebody mentioned Minoxidil can cause skin ageing - Paid it no further attention. Skin worse than before but not bad.

2018 Skin has worsened considerably - large pores on centre forehead and to the sides of nose, no glow, more aged skin & forehead wrinkles that become set for days when I raise eyebrows. Black bags under eyes. Wondered if Minoxidil could be the cause and began to research on the internet.

Traditionally I have had excellent skin, people always guessed my age about 5-10 years less than what it actually is (33). Now I look my age I think. My skin was one of my best features and I want it back. As for the black eye bags, I've NEVER had these prior in my life - in fact I remember a conversation I had with family in 2015 where we were discussing how lucky I was that I never had them. Now I constantly have them even though my sleep is probably the best & most consistent it's ever been.

I have stopped Minoxidil completely and ordered a serum that contains Retinol 2.5%, Vitamin C, Vegan Hyaluronic Acid, Green Tea, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil. I will begin to apply this when it arrives.

Is there anything else I can do to help reverse these affects?

Could affects on me have been made worse due to my habits? I have been bad with changing my bed sheets over the last few years and not changing them regularly at all. I always applied the Minoxidil liquid with a syringe just before sleep making sure I came right to the top of forehead as the hair recession was what I disliked the most, and the way I sleep (on my side & tummy) means that my face is buried into my pillow case all night.

Quote Originally Posted by whotookmyhair View Post
    Hi all,

(I have been through and read many of the previous threads posted on this and other forums. I'm aware of the debate surrounding the issue and will state my case as facts as they pertain to me)

A bit of my background:
    2014 Started Regaine foam 5%, applied intermittently

2015 Stopped Regaine. First noticed my skin worsened but did not pay it any further attention nor link it to Regaine

2016 Started Minoxidil 5% with azelaic acid AND finasteride 1mg. Again thought my skin was getting worse but again gave no further attention to it

2017 Randomly came across some web posts where somebody mentioned Minoxidil can cause skin ageing - Paid it no further attention. Skin worse than before but not bad.

2018 Skin has worsened considerably - large pores on centre forehead and to the sides of nose, no glow, more aged skin & forehead wrinkles that become set for days when I raise eyebrows. Black bags under eyes. Wondered if Minoxidil could be the cause and began to research on the internet.

Traditionally I have had excellent skin, people always guessed my age about 5-10 years less than what it actually is (33). Now I look my age I think. My skin was one of my best features and I want it back. As for the black eye bags, I've NEVER had these prior in my life - in fact I remember a conversation I had with family in 2015 where we were discussing how lucky I was that I never had them. Now I constantly have them even though my sleep is probably the best & most consistent it's ever been.

I have stopped Minoxidil completely and ordered a serum that contains Retinol 2.5%, Vitamin C, Vegan Hyaluronic Acid, Green Tea, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil. I will begin to apply this when it arrives.

Is there anything else I can do to help reverse these affects?

Could affects on me have been made worse due to my habits? I have been bad with changing my bed sheets over the last few years and not changing them regularly at all. I always applied the Minoxidil liquid with a syringe just before sleep making sure I came right to the top of forehead as the hair recession was what I disliked the most, and the way I sleep (on my side & tummy) means that my face is buried into my pillow case all night.
    Been using Rogaine or a minoxidil solution since 1985, and when people guess my age, it's usually five years younger than my real age. Your skin will age with time, so it's more likely any aging you see is a result of growing older.

Also with or without Minoxidil, if you sleep on your back you will look younger when you awake and also develop fewer wrinkles. When you sleep on your face, fluid can accumulate in your face making it swell. The swelling should go down in any from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on how old you are. Also just as your shirt develops wrinkles if you sleep in it, over time your face will develop lines if you sleep on it, and those lines will not go away.

Thanks for your response. I have already looked into sleeping on my back for posture concerns and will explore this further.

I have recently had hairs transplanted, and the Dr has recommended that I not use Minoxidil for 6 months (seems to be the only Dr that suggests this). So I will follow his instructions and also monitor my skin during this minox free period

Thanks for sharing!