+ Reply to Thread

Default Stopping hair loss with science and perseverance

Hey guys, Ive lurked around these posts for a long time but never posted anything. Today I felt a call to tell ofthers about my hair loss experience in hopes to save others from the pain I felt. If you're young like I am and haven't lost too much hair yet, this post is for you. I've stopped my hair loss and I want to share this with everyone. Warning; this is going to be a very long post but it is worth the read and hopefully this helps at least one person.

When I was a kid I had pretty decent hair. I rocked this bowl cut that was like a brown mop atop my head. Then at 14 years old (yes 14) I noticed that I was pulling a lot of hair from the crown of my head, way more than ever should come out. Frightened, I asked my father (who was completely bald) if this means I'm doomed. He said he wouldn't be surprised. This shook me. But I tried to ignore it for a little while until one day it got to a point where the mop on my head was getting full and rather thin. I went to my hair cutter and told her to cut it pretty short. (I thought that was my only option) I rocked short hair for about a year and a half and everyday I would look at my head to see if anymore damage had been done. It seemed like everyday it got thinner and thinner. This put me into a severe depression. My father also passed away during this time which brought my state of mind significantly lower. I was beyond depressed with all of this at once. It seemed like there was no hope and no way out. That's when I turned to the internet for help. I spent basically an entire summer studying why hairloss occurred and the mechanics behind it. I heard a lot of nonsense which I'm sure you all have too. "Baldness is only from the mothers side" etc.. I put countless hours into study that summer. I looked at my family tree to see where I was headed. My father (comepletly bald) my mother (very nice hair) my sister (not as good as my moms) My dads father(completely bald) My dads mother(very thin hair) My moms father(thick hair with receded corners) My moms mother(thick black hair). I thought I was doomed because I was bound to look like my father guarenteed. This is when I decided to do something about it. I had learned about minoxidil and learned that may slow hair loss and maybe even regrow some hair on the crown.(which was where mine was the worst) I went to my local store and bought a $20 minoxidil. This gave me bad shedding for about 2 Weeks but leveled off soon after. While this was all well and good I still needed to address the DHT issue... when seeing what I could do about that I considered finasteride, propecia..The works. I didn't want to have to get a prescription so I looked for alternatives. Eventually I ran into the thing you know as Saw Palmetto. This seemed like my redeemer. I jumped in my car and bought the best bottle I could find. I took what the directions told me faithfully for a 4 months. In those 4 months a lot happened. The first month I had another pretty bad shed. But then it seemed to stable again and my hair loss went from 90+ a day to 5-10. I was overjoyed! ...momentarily... I realized that Saw Palmetto put me in a rather depressed mood. I knew it was this because I decided to stop taking It for a week and my mood got a lot better. But that also meant my hair loss started to resume again. You can see my deilema here; either be happy mentally and lose my hair. Or be a robot inside and keep my hair. The choice was made. I threw away my bottle of Saw Palmetto and vowed never to take those things again. My hair loss was still a problem though. I looked for ways to block DHT without taking SP. I came up with an idea. I bought another bottle of SP but instead of ingesting it this time I created a homemade topical solution With it. I melted down the pills and used a small drop of shampoo and an emulsifier in water. I made a SP concoction that I could block DHT with, without the nasty side effects. For a long time this Topical SP and Minoxidil worked for me! Until I started college. I knew I wouldn't be able to carefully apply these topicals with my roommate at college the way I wanted to. I would often put in the topical but not geto to wash them out in the morning because of the way our class schedules worked I didn't always have access to a shower. This means I wouldn't get to was the solution out until much later that intended. This was a mistake..a big one.. The SP solution when not washed out in time would dry to my hair in dandruff like flakes that when pulled out would take over 6 hairs with it! This did some damage so I quit the topical SP. Exhausting all my options I was t sure what to do..my fears and anxieties got the best of my and I started taking SP internally again. This time however was a little bit different. I no longer experienced the mood drops like I had beforehand. (Just a little stomah ache every now and then) as expected this cut my hair loss down significantly. But I still wanted to make sure SP and Minox would to the trick since SP isn't super powerful really. I started really researching even more in depth why men only go bald on the top and not the back or sides. I've seen that its because these follicles are genetically structured to be sensitive to DHT more than the others. With that in mind I wanted to make sure my treatments were reaching their intended target. Ever notice how when you talk or chew gum the sides of your head have constant muscle action? This is because we get a constant source of blood flow to those areas but Not The top of our heads. This further hurts the sensetive follicles up top as they have to blood flow to keep them active. (I think this is why the skin on bald men's head is more taught). With this also in mind I decided to bring better blood flow to the top of my head. I hang my head for 20 Minutes in the morning and at night to maximize blood flow to the ones that need it. I quickly noticed more blood in the top. Have you ever listened to music and got goosebumps on your head? Previously mine were only felt of the sides of my head but now when I hear music I feel it in my full scalp. It's a nice feeling really. With my daily routine taking SP twice a day, minox in the day and night, and hanging my head to increase blood flow, this stopped my hair loss dead in its tracks. I kid you not before I was doing this I lost 15-20 hairs that would end up In My brush everyday. Now, it's a rarity to find more than 2! But with that said everyone's hair (and hair loss) is different. And what works for me may not work for everyone. Studying my family's hair loss I noticed something very interesting. My dads father was completely bald at a young age, his wife (my dads mother) also did not have a lot of hair for a woman and this already looks like the recipie for thin haired children. My dad ( the oldest) lost all his hair early. One of his brothers ( middle child) still has a decent head of hear weirdly Enough,small bald spot forming but he's getting older anyway. The youngest brother went completely bald as well. ( even younger than my dad)
    Why was this? One of the children was able to keep their hair even into their 45+ even with little hair genetics from the parents? I then looked at my parents my bald dad and my mom who had a good set of follicles may give me somewhat of a chance. Looking at old pics of my dad who had a lot less hair than I did when he was my age was kind of encouraging. Maybe I'll get off like my uncle and hold on to a decent head of hair even in my older years. This was going to be my path, I am determined to not follow the same path as my father. I still continue my routine as listed above. I am 19 now and have better hair than I did when I was 14. I've grown it out now and I've got an Anakin Skywalker Episode ||| flow going on lol. I get compliments about it all the time and I no longer see a lot of hair on my pillow or brush. I plan to continue the science behind this and further my effectiveness in treatments. But this routine isn't magic. It won't magically grow all your hair back if your bald. This is better for keeping what you have and improving the quality of that hair. I still have a (kinda thin) spot on top but is not even noticeable expert to me. It's more a cowlick than anything now. I would reccomend this to people out there who want to keep what They have without doing anything too crazy. It sucks genetics is like this but it doesn't Always get the final word. This may be the last you hear from me. I just wanted to have this available as this was the exact thing I was looking for when searching for answers. Unless I discover a new breakthrough I will inform you all on it. Unit then it's been a wonderful hello and goodbye. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope this helps anyone going to through this terrible thing. Just know you're not alone and you have hope anyway, it's been a pleasure, good luck to all the brothers in this battle right now.