+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE with Dr Edward Ball, Maitland Clinic Portsmouth

I'm looking forward a FUE procedure next week at Dr Edward Ball's Maitland Clinic in Portsmouth next week.
    Before choosing Dr Ball I found it challenging to sift through the various options and clinics, so I thought I would try and document the journey for anyone thinking about a transplant.

About me:
    33 years old, used to have lovely thick long hair, but aggressive thinning on the front for the last 5-10 years or so. Little thinning on the crown. I like to have my hair relatively long rather than a buzz cut. See image 1, taken last summer.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg

Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	68590

How I chose the Maitland Clinic:
    There seemed to be a lot of information and misinformation available about clinics around the world. After talking to doctor friends about what might go wrong overseas, I chose to have the procedure done at home in the UK. The Maitland Clinic stood out by not overpromising results.

Why FUE:
    I've been lucky enough not to need an operation so far in my life, so perhaps am slightly squeamish about FUT. FUE seemed more modern somehow, although with potentially less yield.

So far:
    I opted to pay to visit David Anderson and Dr Ball for a consultation at the clinic in Portsmouth in March 2020. Both were very friendly and professional. I mentioned my preference for FUE, and they did not mention FUT after. I appreciated this lack of pressure to one method or another.
    Dr Ball used a handheld microscope to show me my hair follicles at the back and top of my head, and judged me a good candidate for surgery.
    Dr Ball drew a rough new hairline, see images 2 and 3. He was careful to explain that this is not a teenager's hairline, but rather one that should last as I get older. Although I would love to be a teenager with accompanying hairline again, I appreciated this pragmatism. He recommended 2000 grafts.
    They were careful to note that the surgery will not be a cure-all, that my existing hair will continue to recede, and that another operation may be needed later even if I continue on minoxidil and finasteride.

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	68591 Click image for larger version

Name:	3 (2).jpg

Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	68592
    I booked the surgery, made the deposit, and made the final payment according to the price lists on their website.
    I received a comprehensive package of documents. This package includes what to stop doing before surgery, what to expect in the days after surgery, what medication to take, how to sleep, likely speed of scab dispersal. The pack answered almost every single one of my questions, but it was followed up by a relaxed phone call by the Clinic Manager to answer any further questions I might have.
    Overall I have been impressed by the professionalism and care taken so far.

Next:
    I have the surgery booked for next week, which I am looking forward to.
    I have booked 1.5 weeks off work to recover, although I am aware that it may take months for my normal hair to grow back to its normal length, let alone the new grafts.
    I will attempt to make an update with info and photos at intervals to help those thinking about having a transplant make a decision that is right for them.

If you have any questions please write them below and I will endeavour to answer them.

I continue my description of my procedure.
    I arrived at the clinic at 5pm on Monday night. Dr Ball personally took me through consent forms, covid forms, and what would happen.
    He drew a planned new hairline on my head which he was pleased with. He invited my opinion, but I did not have strong opinions and preferred to defer to his superior experience.
    He then shaved my head. This was the first time I've ever seen myself with a shaved head, and I think it didn't look bad at all.
    Dr Ball took great pains to be friendly, welcoming, and confidence-inspiring throughout.
    Here is the last photo of me with hair, and then shaved showing the new area to be transplanted. I walked back to the hotel five minutes away and had dinner and an early night.

Name:	foto_no_exif.jpg

Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	68691Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8545.jpg

Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	68692Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8551.jpg

Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	68693
    The next morning I arrived at 8am, did covid screening, and was welcomed by the team.
    After getting into a gown, I was offered co-codamol and diazepam. Dr Ball gave me anaesthetic injections. These stung slightly, and were the only unpleasant part of the whole day.
    He did some trial extractions of follicles to size the incisions. He then spent until lunch making just under 2000 incisions into the front of my head.

We stopped for an early lunch.
    After lunch, I was offered further co-codamol and diazepam. I was asked to lay face down on the table, and Dr Ball and colleague extracted the remainder of the follicles from my donor area. At the side of the room there were three binocular microscopes manned by colleagues to sort the follicles into singles, doubles, and triples/quads. Within each of these groupings, they also sorted into fine and thick. See photo of some of my follicles, sorted in a petri dish.
    The process was quite relaxing, with the only noise of the extractor, which sounded a little like a sporadic electric train set or short gentle activations of a sewing machine. I felt nothing, and spent quite a lot of the time asleep.

Name:	IMG_8580.jpg

Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	68694

I was then turned over, and insertions began. I had a team of three of four inserting my hairs into the new incisions at the front of my head. They were very friendly and we chatted. Dr Ball came in periodically to check on progress. I was peripherally aware that they were being very careful to insert particular groupings and fine/coarse hairs into particular areas of my head, to give the best impression and replication of a natural hairline for someone my age and that would last.
    As we neared a conclusion, Dr Ball came and did some final work. I was given a thorough understanding of the aftercare required, and all the consumables. This was verbally, on video, and on paper. Good to cover all bases.
    My gown was removed, a dressing placed around my donor area, cling film over the new area, and I was free to go.
    I left around 8pm for the five minute walk back to the hotel. Among many pieces of advice, I was instructed to spray ATP on the graft area every two hours during the night, and lay on a special pillow to prevent turning in the night.
    This morning I woke feeling pretty good. The clinic called to check how I was. I took some photos of the areas, which look nicely melded into my original hair areas:

Name:	IMG_8606.jpg

Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	68695Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8609.jpg

Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	68696Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8610.jpg

Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	68697
    Today I feel slightly nauseous, to be expected by a very long day out the ordinary.
    The clinic sent through all the before and after surgery photos for me to admire.

Overall I am very pleased with the level of professionalism, teamwork, and friendliness of the Dr Ball and the team. I was always kept informed of the work, and was never worried about what was going on or rushed to make any decision. I was kept adequately fed and watered, kept warm, and I was able to go for a toilet stop whenever I felt the need.

I will not be able to comment on the 'final' result for months yet, but so far I have been very pleased with the treatment I received, and would not hesitate to recommend the clinic.
    I will aim to upload more photos as time passes.

I write as someone with no affiliation, sponsorship or anything of the kind with the clinic. My only aim is to try and be informative for someone else considering having a procedure. I may have missed out some steps or rearranged the order slightly, for which I can only apologise.

Hi,

Newbie here looking at hair transplant options. How are things looking 2-3 months on?