+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diffuse thinner

Default Diffuse thinner

From the google search i have learned that diffuse thinners are not good candidate of HT because their donor hairs can be affected .Is that true ?

My age is 28 and Im a diffuse thinner with crown and mid scalp is easily seen even when my hairs are dry Sides and back seems to be good

Can i be a candidate of HT ?

Yes it is true that the donor hair can be affected by MPB with diffuse thinners.

Are you a HT candidate? Impossible to say without pics.

However, I have seen a few good results from diffuse thinners. The surgeons have been Dr. Hasson, Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Rahal.

If I were you I would send my pics to these three Docs and see what they say. If all three turn you down then you will definitely not be a HT candidate.

Good Luck.

Forgot to say that the meds can work wonders on diffuse thinners.

Buzz it all down and start 1mg Finasteride a day and Rogaine Foam all over the top twice daily.

You could possibly grow A LOT of hair back.

worried,

Not all diffused thinners have miniturization in the donor zone. Some do and and some do not. Those that have it, do not make good candidates for HT surgery IMHO.

Without a doubt you need your entire scalp evaluated under a digital scope. The scope will magnify your hairshafts for comparison purposes. The doctor then compares hair samples looking for loss of hair shaft diameter when compared to hair shafts of "terminal" hair. Miniturization is in fact loss to hair shaft diameter. It cannot be readily confirmed from pics, especially in the early stages. It has to be evaluated under a scope unless the loss of caliber is so advanced that it can be readily seen by the naked eye.

If loss of caliber is evident, the implication then is that DHT is affecting those hairs in that particular region of scalp. Transplanting hair that is DHT receptive will not last and can be lost in the future, just as much as other hair affected by DHT. It is not considered terminal hair.

Another indication would be older men in your family history that show evidence of donor zone thinning.

I use the scope myself and it can be very helpful for younger men to know if Propecia is working by again comparing hair samples over periods of time, usually every six months.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I think i got my mpb from my mother side and my grand parent (NW 6-7) are not diffuse thinner. Father side side is also affected but they are NW 4-5 pattern
    Im forming a NW6 pattern.

My mpb started at the age of 19 or 20 im 28. If my donor site is good for now is it possible that these donors can be affected in future ?

I had a very straight hairs before mpb now my crown and mid scalp hair are really fuzzy and side hair are dense but they have a wavy shaft now and my back hairs are dense and are straight. does this suggest that my donor is ok

Is there any possibility that a good quality pictures of hairs gives you the idea about my donor hairs.

worried,

Yes the reason those hairs in the back donor zone are straight is probably because it is terminal hair with good caliber. The other hair is getting finer and wavy, more fuzzy becaue it is DHT receptive and losing hair caliber.

The only way to know for sure is through the use of microscopic examination comparing hair shafts from the terminal hair in the donor zone to the hair in the thinning areas.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

One more question Gillenetor

If i get the green signal for transplantation does this mean that my donor hair would not ever become dht receptive in future ?

Thanks

worried,

The thing about donor zone thinning is that it usually does not show up until we reach post 40 and especially 50 years old. Most men have there procedures done well before it is visibly seen by "the naked eye".

This is why an evaluation using a scope will only be able to compare differences in hair shaft diameter throughout the scalp. Most docs do not look for that nor scope the donor zones.

The best way to get a gage on this is by looking closely at the scalps and donor areas of older people on both maternal and paternal sides within your family.

Sometimes the strips are taken too high in the donor zone where the hair is DHT receptive and why men may lose that hair later in life.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net