+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AFye View Post
    Those aren't the stereotypes I see in my head. I see these things in real life.
    You may "see these things" but you are misinterpreting what you see and thereby creating a model of reality that doesn't actually exist.

You no doubt see "many girls" going "crazy" over tall guys with lots of hair.

If Bruce Willis showed up, wouldn't they do the same? Yes. So is it the hair?

Women are attracted first and foremost to status, whether perceived or real. This is why confidence - bearing, how you talk, how you regard them - is so crucially important.

Actually, its the deciding factor: all-too-often, that being "crazy" over that hairy (LOL!) tall guy evaporates if and when they/she actually talks with him.

And yet, on the other hand, I know lots of guys with tons of confidence and little in the way of hair and/or height - and they nearly always get girls, very hot ones too.

Finally, women are almost always competing with each other for the attention of a man with perceived status: they are not "crazy" for him in any meaningful sense. They could care less about him in fact. Rather, he is more an occasion for their rivalry and competition. You're watching that rivalry - which is mostly about their own mutual status among themselves - and imagining that they really are "crazy" about that guy.

Be very careful about taking ANYTHING women do or say at face value. Especially in groups.

Take that bolded statement, print it out, and plaster it all over the place to remind yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiffle View Post
    You may "see these things" but you are misinterpreting what you see and thereby creating a model of reality that doesn't actually exist.
    There is no false reality here. Women want status and looks. at my age no one has REAL status so looks is all women go by. you should not have any pride in yourself for dating unattractive women. Its like a house in the ghetto that no one wants to buy and you live there because you can't get anything better.

Its a cruel example but who wants to settle for less?

just dont read anything posted by highlander. he makes baldness seem like some extraterrestrial disease. his views are quite scary.

There is no false reality here. Women want status and looks. at my age no one has REAL status so looks is all women go by.
    You need to learn more about status. Status starts in nursery school.

The fact that you are not aware of this is certainly the primary reason you are having problems with women. And not your hair.

Well, that and this whole thing about "dating below" yourself...lol.

If you think being bald at 17 is not stopping me from getting girls you need to get help. Status and popularity in high school is determined by how you look and not being socially retarded. Mostly by how you look. I've already told you how much I've lowered my standards.

If you think being bald at 17 is not stopping me from getting girls you need to get help. Status and popularity in high school is determined by how you look and not being socially retarded. Mostly by how you look. I've already told you how much I've lowered my standards.
    You're simply wrong. It's precisely your perceptions and habits of thought that are holding you back.

However, if you want to keep believing all that - if it helps you somehow to cope, carry on sir.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiffle View Post
    You're simply wrong. It's precisely your perceptions and habits of thought that are holding you back.

However, if you want to keep believing all that - if it helps you somehow to cope, carry on sir.

Good luck!

I see now that you are one of those delusional people. You would tell someone with a disfigured face from a car accident the reason they can't find someone to date is because they have a bad personality and they aren't nice enough to people.

This is a very important thread, especially for the young guys and I hope people will start more like this. We all suffer from the same problem, but we also have other issues independent of hair loss that effect how we deal with our hair loss.

I wish I was better looking and had more hair, but I really don't let it interfere with my life so much and always enjoyed a great social life and have dated great looking women. I like this forum and the show because for the most part, they help to put things into perspective. there are the nut jobs like highlander (ultra extreme case) and then people like Chtis M, Wiffle, TracyC, Spex and many others who give very good advice and perspective.

You young guys should listen to the more mature people here and never let the Highalnders of the world get into your heads. He's a very disturbed, irrational kid who is in need of serious help.

In my experience, hair is less important at 24 than it was at age 17-18 (highschool). Highschoolers are superficial and, as AFye said, no one has had an opportunity to establish a status outside of athletics and aesthetics really. By 24, you can be wrapping up graduate school and pursuing a career, or progressing in med school, or establishing a "status"/identify/career in some other way.

I don't care how superficial or sleazy it sounds, but money and status matter to women, and ultimately me because of that. If you want to be picky about women, you will definitely benefit from having established one or both of those (at least in your mid 20's). That's why I would suggest a balding teenager to get fit and on getting ahead academically and professionally. You only live once, may as well make the best of it.

I'm 18 and balding, around a NW3. Started when I was 16. Hasn't stopped girls from talking to me, and I'm not that great looking either (though I am 6'1") Quit being a baby, buzz your head, and get on with your life.