+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    Shit dude, just do whatever makes you happy...

In the end, you live with yourself 24 hours of each day, every day.

I wish I had the nuts to shave my head. I'm still at a NW2ish and grew my hair out to about 2-3 inches in the front to kind of push it forward and I constantly feel like my hair looks dumb and am afraid it's going to blow in the wind and reveal my recession and thinning.

My excuse is that I have a big forehead and the cowlick will look like a bald spot if I buzz it down too short. But, in the end, I fantasize about buzzing my hair.

The funny thing is that I know with optimal hair and hairline - I look better with long on the top because it offsets my forehead. But it's not for me...
    I had a naturally broad forehead (due to mild brachycephaly) and recession's caused my forehead to look humongous. Also similar to you, I was at least blessed with thick to begin with, so I have plenty of time to treat and still give an illusion of thick hair.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I had a naturally broad forehead (due to mild brachycephaly) and recession's caused my forehead to look humongous. Also similar to you, I was at least blessed with thick to begin with, so I have plenty of time to treat and still give an illusion of thick hair.
    I hate worry about how my hair looks - and if my hair was any more receded or thinner or something I would have buzzed it off already. Luckily I seem to be responding in a way that is either offsetting the shed with my hair getting better or my hair growing longer. Either way, my hair is the longest it's been in quite a while.

I have shaved and buzzed my head on and off since I was 17 and had no signs of hairloss. I have a good shaped head, big neck and wide shoulders so it suited me well and it was somewhat stylish in the 90s when I was teen and early 20s. I didn't start losing my hair until about 30 and it just started receding way back. Now Im pushing 40 and I still shave it bald, or a 0 all around, up to a 3 on top but no longer. I feel that if you are balding at all you have to keep the hair short. I would keep shaving if you like the look man. People will get used to it and if you lose more hair it wont be a dramatic difference. Shaving your head makes you look younger, especially if you hit the gym hard and muscle up.

Quote Originally Posted by yabyel View Post

My problem is with my family. They keep telling me I look ridiculous, like an escaped convict/psychopath/criminal. Wherever I go I see guys with a similar haircut to mine, so why do they think this of me? I'm not a bad looking guy, I have a normal-shaped head and reasonable facial features. Is it just because they are not used to it? Has anyone else experienced similar negative reactions?
    Yes
    Once they get used to it , then it will be a non issue

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Yes
    Once they get used to it , then it will be a non issue
    A friend of mine is a Norwood 6. He shaves his head and is a lady's man. He meets women at Starbucks, at the supermarket, you name it. Women look at things very differently than men do. It took about 20 years of marriage to get that reality through my thick skull. Related to my ladies-man friend. He, as a shaved Norwood 6 could have five or six interested women texting him wanting to have dinner, see a movie etc., after a busy day of meeting women. I don't ever remember any woman being afraid of him thinking he looked odd with a shaved head. He doesn't have the perfect shaped head either.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Thumbs up

DAVE52 is CORRECT..."Once they get used to it , then it will be a non issue"

I couldn't agree more.

I am in the same boat. I am losing my hair on the top of my head and now just have hair growing around my head. I am getting told by family and friends that I should just shave it all off and just go cold turkey on it. I am so hesitant and scared to let my hair go completely, im scared that it just wont grow back again.

#baldproblems lol

B

Yeah, it is always puzzling: to shave or not to shave. Think your family just is not used to see you bald, give them some time. The best way for them to get over your new hairstyle was to make it gradually, cutting your hair shorter and shorter till the bald. But having it cut now, just do not pay attention to their comments, they will pass with time. One more tip, find out which of bald celebrities your wife or mother likes (I am sure they do) and give them the example. Ask them to adduce arguments, why do they consider him good-looking, and you convict/psychopath/criminal. Think it will make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by yabyel View Post
    hello everyone.

I'm 26. I've been thinning at the crown/temples for the last 3 or 4 years. I hate the way my hair looks when it is longer, so for the last month or so I've been shaving my whole head down to a number 1. Whilst in an ideal world I would not go for this look, it seems a perfectly acceptable way of disguising thinning hair, and I think, with this haircut, I just look like a guy with a shaved head, rather than a balding guy. I don't mind the look.

My problem is with my family. They keep telling me I look ridiculous, like an escaped convict/psychopath/criminal. Wherever I go I see guys with a similar haircut to mine, so why do they think this of me? I'm not a bad looking guy, I have a normal-shaped head and reasonable facial features. Is it just because they are not used to it? Has anyone else experienced similar negative reactions?
    I did the exact same thing except I razor shaved. IMO it's perception. I have a huge family & a lot of friends [Who are really nice people] but following the shave they flat out told me how bad it was. A year later and they still thought I looked like a tough guy/criminal.

People I'd never met before were fine [Probably because they never knew what I looked like previously]. So their first impression of you is the bald you. The positive was that with a shaved head it's a hell of a lot easier to attract beautiful women than with thin hair. That being said IMO the unfortunate down side is that you fall into a stereotype & people have an impression of you before they've met you.

The biggest problem in that regard for me was that my personality just didn't fit the stereotype [Alpha Male/Tough Guy] & I never really felt comfortable around the majority of the new people I met.