+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hairloss on scalp, body, dry skin, dandruff, and can't gain weight

Ok, so as it appears from the title i'm dealing with these problem. My hairloss is not noticable AT ALL. I have bene using regaine for almost 2 years now, and it doesn't seem to help, but i'm not getting thinner og receeding?!

So i satrted reading about thyroid problems and A LOT of the symptoms are the ones i'm dealing with:

- Hairloss on body (leg, arms and ass)
    - can't gain weight eventhough i eat moore than everyone i know
    - problems concetrating
    - depression
    - periods with diaria
    - shaking hands
    - insomnia
    - dry ksin
    - dandruff
    - production of excessive sebum

so basically i'm thinking that my hairloss is thyroid related? I'm getting an appointment at my doc tomorrow.

And what is the purpose with this post? CHECK OUT YOUR THYROID IF YOU ARe DEALING WITH HAIRLOSS OR SOME OF THE SYMTOPMS!

PS: pls ignore the spelling, and grammar mistakes, i'm not in the mood of checking on my grammar and spelling mistakes

Thyroid hairloss is generally teleogen effluvium and is diffuse all over the head, not just the typical MPB areas.

However weight gain problems are a sign of an overactive thyroid, so definitely the doc will have a tsh test done.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking ? A common symptom many people with MPB experience is itchiness on the scalp. Have you ever experienced itchiness before the medication or after ? Also how many hairs did you notice falling out before and after the medication regimen and were they all over or mainly on the top of your head ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrblol View Post
    How old are you if you don't mind me asking ? A common symptom many people with MPB experience is itchiness on the scalp. Have you ever experienced itchiness before the medication or after ? Also how many hairs did you notice falling out before and after the medication regimen and were they all over or mainly on the top of your head ?
    Just made 22 in April. I have alot of itchiness and the hair shedding isn't that nad, only like (approx) 100 a day. It was much worse before using regaine. My hairline seems to have been the same for like 2-3 years now. But i'm also dealing with a lot of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Prior to regaine i would lose so much hai that the bathtub got full (no shit). But i have also noticed that the hairs i lose are all with a bulb at the end, which again makes me think it's thyroid related? And i also shed some hairs on the sid eof my head even around teh neck and sideburns. My hair all aorund the head looks thin actually. Even the sides and teh back. It's not only the crown area.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Thyroid hairloss is generally teleogen effluvium and is diffuse all over the head, not just the typical MPB areas.

However weight gain problems are a sign of an overactive thyroid, so definitely the doc will have a tsh test done.
    tsh test? What does that involve? Bloodsample?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    tsh test? What does that involve? Bloodsample?
    Yes, a blood draw is done and the tsh result will determine if any thyroid issues are going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    Just made 22 in April. I have alot of itchiness and the hair shedding isn't that nad, only like (approx) 100 a day. It was much worse before using regaine. My hairline seems to have been the same for like 2-3 years now. But i'm also dealing with a lot of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Prior to regaine i would lose so much hai that the bathtub got full (no shit). But i have also noticed that the hairs i lose are all with a bulb at the end, which again makes me think it's thyroid related? And i also shed some hairs on the sid eof my head even around teh neck and sideburns. My hair all aorund the head looks thin actually. Even the sides and teh back. It's not only the crown area.
    Hmm it seems like we are maybe experiencing the same thing ? I've noticed that my eyebrow hairs are falling out easier as well, is this the same case with you ? My itchiness is also not strictly contained to the top of my scalp but all over, I seem to notice it more when its on the top of my scalp however :S

the easiest way to test for thyroid problems is to MEASURE YOUR BODY TEMPERATURE.

too low = HYPOthyroidism
    too high = HYPERthyroidism

If it's normal then you don't have thyroid problems. Your thyroid is probably find and your hair loss is most likely MPB since thyroid problems are unusual in young men....

You could have a series of things. One of them being Alopecia Areata, I suspect, which I have. I lost hair on scalp in patches, my facial hair, and my legs.

The questions of most interest here, and be totally honest (with yourself, not with us), is whether your hair loss is patterned. Do you have a receding hairline and/or crown thinning? If you do, then it is not TE. Whether you have thyroid issues is a separate issue to the likely possibility that you have MPB.

I've been there, man. You want your hairloss to be anything but MPB, which is much harder (to impossible) to deal with. It's why a few people want to flock to the threads on metabolic syndrome and scalp tightness. Eventually, you gotta accept that it's just balding. In my experience, the sooner you accept that, the sooner you can be relatively okay with it.