Plug Removal - possible? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Plug Removal - possible?

Hi All
    24 years a go I had a HT done on the front of the scalp and at that time the only procedure available at least where I lived was the plug type using 3-4mm or larger tools.
    As the rest of my hair on the top/crown is thinning although I do use propecia it is becoming increasing difficult to hide the plug grafts.
    So am looking in to have a second procedure to hide the first but also wondered if any one has knowledge of having the plugs removed and the scalp repaired as best possible and then just going bald.

Any feedback, thoughts, links to sites that show the outcome, surgeons, clinics etc etc would be appreciated.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned1966 View Post
    Hi All
    24 years a go I had a HT done on the front of the scalp and at that time the only procedure available at least where I lived was the plug type using 3-4mm or larger tools.
    As the rest of my hair on the top/crown is thinning although I do use propecia it is becoming increasing difficult to hide the plug grafts.
    So am looking in to have a second procedure to hide the first but also wondered if any one has knowledge of having the plugs removed and the scalp repaired as best possible and then just going bald.

Any feedback, thoughts, links to sites that show the outcome, surgeons, clinics etc etc would be appreciated.
    Dr. Cole does a lot of this type of repair. I had this type of surgery when I was young as well. DC can do a plug redistribution or simply remove the plugs. With the redistribution, the individual hairs are removed and placed so the result appears natural. One of Dr. Cole's patients had plugs placed in a V shaped pattern when he was younger. As he progressed to a smooth Norwood 6, the plugs were visible. At the Norwood 6 level, our patient shaved the plug hairs and used makeup. His work required him to interact with people throughout the day and he decided to have Dr. Cole remove the plugs and stitch up the remaining 4mm cylindrical wounds. He now looks like a normal bald guy and his scalp no longer shows signs of a V-shaped pattern on top. In my case, Dr. Cole grafted around the large grafts that were particularly noticeable at the hairline.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Thanks for the quick and informative response 35YrsAfter

Curious about this statement.
    "....remove the plugs and stitch up the remaining 4mm cylindrical wounds. He now looks like a normal bald guy and his scalp no longer shows signs of a V-shaped pattern on top...."

Although the overall V shape was not visible how about scars from the original round plugs and scars from the removal, weren't there pigment changes giving a spotted affect so surgery of some kind could still be seen even a year after the removal?
    Don't suppose there are any pictures?