+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How long for finasteride to start working?

Hey guys,

How long does finasteride typically take to start working? I started a six-week taper onto the drug on September 20th, so I've had about three months on the medication. Have to admit that I've not seen a decrease in shedding yet.

But I started minoxidil on October 17th, so I could be seeing a minoxidil shed that's offsetting benefit from the finasteride. Anyway, if folks could chime in regarding how long it took finasteride to start working for them, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!

Takes a year to get the full affect of fin. So dont give up if you dont see anything early.

Im at about 6 months, and I believe I'm just STARTING to see the benefits of it, I was shedding on and off for the past few months, hair has improved slightly now.(nothing significant though.)

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    Hey guys,

How long does finasteride typically take to start working? I started a six-week taper onto the drug on September 20th, so I've had about three months on the medication. Have to admit that I've not seen a decrease in shedding yet.

But I started minoxidil on October 17th, so I could be seeing a minoxidil shed that's offsetting benefit from the finasteride. Anyway, if folks could chime in regarding how long it took finasteride to start working for them, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!
    It takes up to 8-12 months before you see some results. Depending on how your body takes it you might see earlier results. for shedding wise, I've stop withing 4 months but i also been on other hair products.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    Takes a year to get the full affect of fin.
    That is not accurate. Though it does typically take about 12 months to know if Finasteride is working for a man, the "full effect" as you state it can take longer. How much longer? It varies from man to man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    That is not accurate. Though it does typically take about 12 months to know if Finasteride is working for a man, the "full effect" as you state it can take longer. How much longer? It varies from man to man.
    Essentially what I meant, If it doesnt do anything after 1 year It's highly doubtful you're going to thicken up after that.

On average most guys see the most benefit after a year, havent heard/seen many cases that take longer than that.

Actually dude, I think it starts working the first time you take it. It starts blocking the production of DHT pretty quick, which is it's job. It doesn't promote hair growth in general though. So,if after a year youv'e kept you aren't loosing as much, or keeping what you have, it's been working, roughly speaking.

Thanks, guys. This seems confusing because there are multiple benefits from Propecia, and the way that Merck phrases things--a year to "see results"--is confusing. What does "results" mean? A reduction in shedding? Regrowth? Increased fullness? Etc. I'm just curious about shedding reduction, specifically. I've heard lots of different figures, with some people claiming that it usually stops shedding within the first few months, then it takes longer for hairs that had shed to exit the telogen phase a regrow.

Frank J comment is right, it starts working the first time you take it, and you notice the results after 6-12 months. few people start noticing after only 3 months, it depends how lucky you are.

Thanks, guys. This seems confusing because there are multiple benefits from Propecia, and the way that Merck phrases things--a year to "see results"--is confusing. What does "results" mean? A reduction in shedding? Regrowth? Increased fullness? Etc. I'm just curious about shedding reduction, specifically. I've heard lots of different figures, with some people claiming that it usually stops shedding within the first few months, then it takes longer for hairs that had shed to exit the telogen phase a regrow.
    For the majority, it just means a halting of loss or the loss being slowed down alot.

For a moderate few it means a slight amount of regrowth/reinforcement in the hair.

For the best responders you may essentially go up .5 of a NW or even a full NW.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/

These are some of the positive results. The shedding itself varies alot from person to person, I`ve heard people shed on and off for months at a time, others only shed for a month or so etc. it`s all over the place, I personally started shedding at month 3(moderately) and only really stopped a couple weeks ago.

Thanks, guys. This seems confusing because there are multiple benefits from Propecia, and the way that Merck phrases things--a year to "see results"--is confusing. What does "results" mean? A reduction in shedding? Regrowth? Increased fullness?
    "Results" means your hair loss has either slowed down, stopped or you are gaining some hair back. Though the medication starts blocking DHT right away, it can take up to a full year for your hair loss to stop.