+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Personal levels of tolerance and acceptance re finasteride sides

Hi guys

I started propecia (branded) just less than 2 weeks ago and all is fine so far - absolutely nothing to report re sides and or results which I expected at this stage. I am really pleased actually that I have started to do something about mpb whilst I still have my hair and hairline.

I obviously did a lot of research on the subject before starting medication. Just a quick observation I guess here.

I get the impression with people taking fin and in relation to the sides they experience, a lot of the time, it is about what that particular individual is willing to tolerate/put up with. I mean, I'm sure some people would discontinue the use of the drug if they encountered for example, testicular pain, where as others (perhaps most in this instance) would plough through.

I think this principle and mindset probably does extend to the more serious sides - like with libido issues or instances of ED - I guess it is how much you value these when compared to the prospect of losing your hair.

Personally I think I would need to get pretty serious sides - like actual gyno or something - before I would contemplate discontinuing the drug. I am determined to give it a full 12 months at least as I understand you can only evaluate fin's effectiveness on you after this time.

Is it fair to say there is this sense of personal levels of tolerance re propecia sides? From what I have read into it I guess this is the case with most prescription drugs that can bring about sides... At what point would you hypothetically discontinue the drug if you got a certain side effect, or side effects got to a certain level? Are these really worse than going bald (I know I sound really vain here but hey I guess we all are a bit on this forum and I am not that ashamed to admit it!)?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyt View Post
    Is it fair to say there is this sense of personal levels of tolerance re propecia sides?
    Personally, I think there is a whole lot more going on than that. Particularly the attitudes of some of these guys who post. Men have been using Finateride for a pretty long time. This whole scare didn't really take off until the fear mongering on the internet started. Now before one of those other guys barks at me about mentioning the psychosomatic aspect of this, I am not saying that all instances are psychosomatic - but it is very obvious that many of them are - possibly most. If a person fears the possible side effects of any medication and it is frequently on their mind, they are going to get those side effects. Yes, that fear can in fact manifest itself into actual physical problems. This phenomenon has been well known and well documented in medical science for centuries. These young guys who insist it can not possibly work that way are simply too uneducated to comprehend the reality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Personally, I think there is a whole lot more going on than that. Particularly the attitudes of some of these guys who post. Men have been using Finateride for a pretty long time. This whole scare didn't really take off until the fear mongering on the internet started. Now before one of those other guys barks at me about mentioning the psychosomatic aspect of this, I am not saying that all instances are psychosomatic - but it is very obvious that many of them are - possibly most. If a person fears the possible side effects of any medication and it is frequently on their mind, they are going to get those side effects. Yes, that fear can in fact manifest itself into actual physical problems. This phenomenon has been well known and well documented in medical science for centuries. These young guys who insist it can not possibly work that way are simply too uneducated to comprehend the reality of it.
    Good points. What strikes me, having read several studies re the use of fin, and what reassured me enough to start taking propecia, is the consistency in terms of numbers relating to those that experience sides in studies - I mean, I don't think I've read a report that states more than 5% of people in the study. The sheer volume of threads and posts on forums like these tend to suggest a much greater number - I mean I would say the majority of things you read around here in relation to fin is something negative. So either the studies are wrong, or there is simply more of a tendency for people to report negative experiences with the drug, than positive. I sincerely hope it is the latter anyway!

"most"???

I agree that we can induce sides with fear. Its so important to relax and forget about it.

But i wouldnt say most guys with sides are inducing them mentally. Especially things like gyno. Hormone levels vary greatly from person to person, to while some people see no sides, other people will.

BUT...I agree. Soooo important to stay relaxed, or even just forget about it. Ill be very aware of this when i start my regime.

If it was pyschosomatic for me, I'd love for someone to explain how I only experienced sides after 7-8 weeks? Please explain how this fits into this theory.

Further, you can't really know how it feels to be affected by this, especially if you don't even have a penis. Losing sensitivity down there is really very depressing.

I've yet to have anyone really show me a trial where the participants were of mixed ages and types of Norwood balding, and where the safety of Propecia still came out 98%.

Call me cynical, but I refuse to believe I've not only been unlucky to be in the 2%, but the FURTHER 2% who have long term side effects. This topic makes me angry. Too much speculation by people who have no clue.

In addition, no offence Tracy C but I don't really see what your opinion offers that the REVISED(!!!) safety labels don't already.

Interesting that they should revise those labels though isn't it? Kinda suggests fallibility maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    If it was pyschosomatic for me, I'd love for someone to explain how I only experienced sides after 7-8 weeks? Please explain how this fits into this theory.
    It is far more that just a theory. There is very strong evidence to support it. Not only for Finasteride itself but for many thousands of other medications. You need to see a doctor. You are not going to find the help you need on the internet. You need to get yourself to a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    ...but I don't really see what your opinion offers...
    It's not my opinion. I have no opinion on this matter. It does not apply to me. I read the available information and I share what I learn in the hopes that it can help somebody. If it only helps one person It's worth it. For those who don't like it, sorry, I'm not going to stop.

It is far more that just a theory. There is very strong evidence to support it. Not only for Finasteride itself but for many thousands of other medications. You need to see a doctor. You are not going to find the help you need on the internet. You need to get yourself to a doctor.
    I've never read any stories of men going to doctors and resolving their issues. It doesn't help that there's such skepticism to deal with. I don't know what the point is really...

Chrisis - sorry to hear that mate! That is an obvious fear that I have as a person just starting the drug.

I guess if I experience sides similar to the symptoms you describe that would be a point where I would discontinue the drug. Although I have read that even if you do experience sides they can dissipate with continued use - although I guess you would need to take a considerable leap of faith in these circumstances to continue fin, having experienced such sides already..

My logic for starting the drug verses the fear of experiencing sides was purely on the basis of the consistency of the numbers relating to those that experience sides in studies. Again I just really hope those studies are accurate/reflect the general populations experiences with fin..

It's not my opinion. I have no opinion on this matter. It does not apply to me. I read the available information and I share what I learn in the hopes that it can help somebody. If it only helps one person It's worth it. For those who don't like it, sorry, I'm not going to stop.
    So long as you revise your opinion each time Merck is forced to revise their labeling. My experience goes a little beyond a revised label.