+ Reply to Thread

Default Ksl hair glasgow - experience from hell

I would like to share my full disastrous FUE hair experience with the hair transplant company KSL which took place in Glasgow, Scotland on the 8/1/17.

I attended my first consultation with KSL on October 25, 2016 and was met by consultant Iain Russel who said that he would evaluate my hair. I informed Iain that I would like a hair transplant to improve my hairline and temples and he told me that this would be achievable as I had a great donor area and thick hair that was in good condition.

Iain showed me pictures of celebrities who he said had their procedures completed by KSL and reiterated that as my hair was still in good condition and I was only receding in the temple area, I could achieve the same great results. At this meeting Iain also mentioned that he could see my crown slightly thinning – something I never considered or had an issue with – but as a professional in his field and due to his persistence, I decided to take his advice.

When I asked Iain how many grafts were needed to see the results that I wanted, Iain stated KSL Hair didn’t charge by hair graft which is unusual as all other companies that I had researched charged this way. During the consultation I also asked about the doctor that KSL used however Iain said he couldn’t remember his name as he had not worked for the company long. He said that he would email me the doctor’s information and assured me that I should not worry as it will be the same doctor as the one who carried out procedures on Celtic players Tony Stokes and Leigh Griffiths.

Iain quoted me £8,000 for a FUE procedure and I said I would discuss this with my wife and get back to him with my decision. A few days passed and Iain called me to ask if I had made a decision stating KSL’s waiting time for a procedure was getting longer each day and that I should book the hair procedure now to avoid disappointment. I told Iain that I was planning my wedding and my wife wasn’t sure about the cost however he told me KSL has a ‘Pay as You Grow’ finance scheme which he recommended would make payment more manageable.

After consideration, I agreed to the Pay as You Grow option and Iain said that I would need to pay a £2,500 deposit, which I did, and my procedure was booked for November 12, 2016. Disappointingly, a week after paying my deposit, I read on the KSL website that no deposit was required for the Pay As You Grow option.

On the evening of Sunday, November 10, 2016 I was texted by clinic manger Andrew Dingwall to say that my transplant could no longer go ahead due to an electric fault in the clinic. He was not able to provide an alternative date for the procedure. I was angry as I felt that I should have received a courtesy phone call rather than a text. A few days passed and after I had left a few messages on the clinic’s answerphone and texted Andrew that I wasn’t happy with the lack of communication, Andrew got back in contact. He said that he could fit me in for the procedure on January 8, 2017. I agreed to this date as I had paid £2,500 and was keen to have the procedure completed as quickly as possible so that it didn’t conflict with my job.

On the day of my procedure I was met by Andrew and a doctor. It was my first time meeting Andrew and the doctor and both reiterated what Iain had said in my original consultation - I’d have amazing results as my hair was still being in great condition. The doctor then took me in to a room and introduced me to the rest of the team that would be working with me – an English technician and a man named Paul that I remembered seeing working in reception who was also introduced as a technician.

The doctor began by extracting hair from the back of my head however he would only extract for short periods of time as he would continually leave the room and let the technician carry on with the extractions until he returned to continue himself. This process continued throughout the extraction stage of the procedure until it was finished.

When I asked the technician why the doctor continuously left the room he stated that there was another patient who was also receiving a hair transplant at the same time and that the doctor was treating us simultaneously. This was alarming as I felt that the doctor was distracted and not paying full attention to my procedure, and that I had not received the treatment first sold to me in the consultation phase.

After a few hours, the extraction phase was over and the technician and gentleman from reception separated my hairs. The doctor said that his part in the procedure was over and another lady would be implanting the hairs. A lady named Leanne then entered the room, who I also recognised as being on reception, and she began the implantation stage of my procedure. I asked how many grafts she was implanting a few times however she seemed to brush the question away and change the subject every time I asked.

The implant phase was over in just under two hours and at the end of procedure Andrew took photographs of my transplant. Overall my transplant started at 12:00 and was complete by 16:30 which is quicker than I had expected. Throughout the day Andrew took pre and post op pictures.

After the procedure I was booked in for my first KSL laser treatment which I started on January 31,, 2017 and my last laser treatment was on November 1. After my fourth laser appointment consultant Iain then started to mention that I may need a second procedure and not to worry if I didn’t see the desired results. These comments shocked me as it was only a matter of weeks into my hair journey and too early to see the true results from my first procedure according to other companies.

On February 20, 2017 my wife - who works in public relations - highlighted an article by reporter John Ferguson in the Daily Record about bogus hair transplant operators conning young vulnerable men and using sales techniques and sharp practice to take their money using Pay As You Grow schemes. After reading the article we started to research the clinic and came across alarming reviews on a hair transplant forums from former clients of KSL giving them very worrying and poor reviews.

I tried to keep the negative reviews at the back of my mind to concentrate on my own personal experience and continued to attend my laser treatment sessions hoping to see an improvement in my hair. Four months after the transplant I contacted Andrew to set a meeting to review how my hair was progressing so far and he stated that he would get someone to contact me but that I should continue with the laser treatment until then. I continued with the laser treatment for a few months without hearing or seeing Andrew. During this time I did receive a phone call from someone who said they worked for KSL Hair offering me personal training sessions which I felt was inappropriate as this had nothing to do with my hair transplant.

On June 28, 2017 I met Iain in the clinic and stressed that I hadn’t had any pictures taken or had any progress review of my hair. He looked at my hair for a matter of seconds and said that he could see that my hair was growing in. When I repeated that I could not see any new hair, he started to talk about a second procedure which alarmed me yet again.

On the seventh month into my hair journey I noticed a few hairs coming through albeit very thin and growing in patches. There were areas in my hair where I could see there were no grafts inserted. I continued to attend the laser sessions even though I thought it wasn’t helping in any way then on September 15, 2017, while attending laser treatment, I asked a KSL consultant about another review and progress photographs which he said he would get before quickly changing the subject. Weeks passed with no contact from the clinic regarding my review or photographs and then I went on holiday for three weeks.

On return from my holiday I saw more negative online reviews which seemed to mirror my own experience. A significant number referred to failed hair transplants by KSL Hair and this prompted me to contact Iain again to request a meeting to discuss my hair. Still I had received no promised review of my progress which I had insisted on and I felt that the few hairs that had been implanted had grown in patchy with visible gaps and in the wrong direction.

When a meeting was arranged Iain explained he was the new manager of the clinic. I asked Iain how many hair grafts had been implanted in my hair however Iain stated he did not know and would have to contact former manager Andrew Dingwall as he had the taken customer files to Manchester where he was the manager of a KSL Hair clinic there. I took the opportunity again to request my pre and post-surgery photographs and notes taken by former manager Andrew on the day of my surgery but these too were in my files and Iain said I should expect a response the next day.

The next day Iain phoned me to say I had 1,400 grafts inserted in my hairline and in temples on the day of my surgery. I was worried as Iain never mentioned any grafts on my crown despite being the one who insisted I should have it done.

That night I went home and did more research on the clinic as something didn’t feel right about the whole experience. I searched the internet and came across a website called baldtruthtalk.com which is a hair forum for people who have had hair transplants or are interested in the procedure. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw so many subjects on how poor KSL Hair were as a clinic and how their transplants had ruined peoples lives to the point former clients were pursing legal action. Their experiences reflected my own.

After seeing the bad publicity and even though I had a meeting with Iain a few days ago I contacted Iain straight away asking for another meeting to discuss my hair. He asked if I would like to see the new doctor KSL Hair had employed which I refused as I wanted to speak to him as the manager of the clinic. Yet again I asked him to make sure my pre and post photographs and notes were supplied at the meeting.

On the day of the meeting I took a witness with me and Iain attended with CEO Simon. Simon Lindsay started the meeting by introducing himself then strangely stated that he didn’t want an argument, wasn’t a con man, and hasn’t conned anyone out of money in his life – an odd greeting. This was insulting as it insinuated that my witness and I did want an argument or were trying to tarnish his character.

During the meeting I again asked Iain about my photographs and he said he still could not source them as they were in Manchester with the old manager Andrew. Personally I would have expected the manager of Glasgow’s clinic to have access to all client’s files and copies to be available and backed up on the computer. I then asked Iain about the grafts that had been implanted and he said that I had 1,300 grafts inserted on my temples and hairline – not 1,400 as formerly mentioned. Iain also said he was unaware that I had any work on my crown.

During the meeting, I said I also wanted to understand how Iain decided how many grafts I needed at my first consultation and how that amounted to the figure of £8,000. I mentioned that while chatting with various clients of KSL Hair- who started with far less hair than me – that I had been charged considerably more money, in some cases up to £3,000 more.

Simon refused to talk about any other KSL cases. I asked Simon if he had any complaints from any other KSL Hair clients about poor results and hair growing in the wrong direction and he replied that he had not. I then showed Simon pictures of clients of KSL Hair who were extremely unsatisfied like myself and had shared their experience with me. Simon yet again stated he would not talk about any other client’s cases.

Simon admitted at the meeting that my hair transplant results at this stage were not progressing as expected at the 10 month stage – different to Iain’s comments - and even offered to book me a second transplant procedure as early as the next week. This is unusual as all the research I have read states you should wait between 12-18 months before having another procedure.

Simon stated he would refund my £2,500 deposit although I have not received anything. It transpires that this refund is dependent on me signing a document from his lawyer which is yet to be sent. I feel as though the gesture of a refund of my deposit is an empty promise from Simon and he has no intention of returning this money – which I feel is too low after paying £8,000.

KSL organised my 12 month final review on January 09, 2018 which sadly manager Iain Russel and CEO Simon Lindsay did not attend and it was another KSL consultant who I had no previous dealings with who completed my review. The so called sales consultant was familiar with my case and already knew I wouldn’t be seeking another procedure due to my concerns and dealings with the clinic. The consultant took a few pictures of my hair and said that I would hear from CEO Simon Lindsay in due course to talk about the next stage moving forward with regards to me seeking a full refund which I had discussed recently with Mr Lindsay.

A year on I am still without the pre and post FUE transplant pictures and notes regarding my procedure which I was promised by the clinic manager Iain Russel and CEO Simon Lindsay. I have further researched the team who worked on my hair and I am led to believe that Paul Heaney who was a technician on my procedure has no medical training and started off as a receptionist working in the clinic. Sadly I do not know who the other older English technician was however I feel he was very inexperienced and unprofessional and I have asked KSL UK for his name with no reply. I also found out my doctor was Dr Juan Ruiz from Madrid and he has never held a GMC license to perform hair transplants in the UK and should have nave never been involved in my hair transplant.. I would like to make a formal complaint about Dr Ruiz to the General Medical Council Scotland however I do not know if this is possible as he is based in Spain.

It is my opinion that no one working for KSL knows exactly how many hair grafts were implanted into my head and that is why the clinic will not send my procedure notes. During my FUE procedure it seems as though the team plucked as many hairs as they could in a short period of time and then implanted these hairs again in a short period of time to get me out of the clinic as soon as possible. If it is true that the clinic did implant 1300 grafts into my head, then that equates to £6.15 per graft which is more expensive than some of the best UK clinics charge.

I was offered a refund from Simon Lindsay but he stated that on the condition that I did not put my experience with the clinic on a public forum. I feel as though Simon had no intention of refunding me, instead he continued to place obstacles in the way such as terms that I had to agree to and accused me of pestering him when I emailed for further updates.

My experience with KSL from start to finish has been nothing but a disaster. I feel as though I have been duped by flashy marketing and convincing sales tactics but received poor workmanship from a company who have not delivered the product or service that I was promised, and I continue to pay a substantial amount for as I’m in contract with a finance company as part as this Pay As You Grow scheme sold to me by the clinic. The whole experience and process has been mentally draining and my insecurities about my hair loss are worse than before I had the procedure. I feel I now have hair that has grown in the wrong direction and have patchiness where no transplanted hairs were inserted during the procedure. I have also been left with an indentation on the left side of my head, just above my temple, where hairs were implanted. I cannot believe how unprofessional Simon and his team have been during my experience as a KSL client - the award winning service that they pride themselves on delivering has been non-existent. While in contact with other KSL clients it seems there is an alarming amount of unhappy clients coming forward though feel having a hair transplant is a sensitive issue and clients are embarrassed about putting their experiences out to the public domain which I feel is being leveraged by KSL which I feel is totally wrong and unacceptable for the clinic to do this.

I've attached photos 13 months on from my hair transplant with the clinic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg

Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	56044   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled 1.jpg

Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	56045   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled 3.jpg

Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	56046  

Useless without the before pictures. P.S., if after my transplant I looked like you, I'd be the happiest man alive.

That's rough dude, sorry you had such a bad experience.

Quote Originally Posted by clee984 View Post
    That's rough dude, sorry you had such a bad experience.
    The whole experience has took me to my breaking point and I’m angry at myself for not doing the proper reasesrch before rushing in.....though it’s defo been a learning point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    Useless without the before pictures. P.S., if after my transplant I looked like you, I'd be the happiest man alive.
    The who experience has been a utter disaster and I’m left with a left indention on my left temple plus the little transplant hairs they did insert growing in the wrong direction after paying £8,000. I feel anything but lucky mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpool1888 View Post
    The whole experience has took me to my breaking point and I’m angry at myself for not doing the proper reasesrch before rushing in.....though it’s defo been a learning point for me.
    What's your next move, are you just going to continue to try and get a refund and then forget about it? Or are you considering repair, or just wait and see how you feel?

Well since Dr Juan Ruiz from Madrid wasn’t GMC licenced I am seeking advice if I can pursue him and hold him accountable for my poorly results and experience.

I’ve now learned KSL have ripped off a lot of people and their is lots of clients who have had experiences that miror my own.

I hope KSL get exposed for the crooks they are.

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting this mate, I can relate almost word for word with your experience here. I also had my procedure here around the same time as you, I was sold this procedure and told that if for whatever reason the transplant never took to my head that I would have it redone free of charge. Was told KSL are the only company to offer this safety net, I was over the moon as this was my biggest concern. I was booked in to show them the parts where I needed redone again at the start of this year, got a phone call the morning I was due in to say the clinic had cancelled all appointments for the day due to severe weather (snow) and that someone would give me a call to arrange another appointment, that call never came then I find out the place has closed down. I tried calling the helpline they had provided, it’s just a answering machine asking who you are and to leave a number and someone would get back to me, still nothing after leaving my details a couple of times. I have Andrew on instagram so msgd him on there, he told me he no longer works in Glasgow and that he had joined a KSL clinic down south. Said he seen things he didn’t agree with in the Glasgow clinic and that it wasn’t the same company he joined in the first place, basically said Simon was ****ing everyone over. He has told me that the KSL in England is a completely different company to the one in Glasgow (although they use the same name, branding and even pictures of celebrities who used the Glasgow clinic) and there’s nothing they could do to help me. I asked him if he could look up my records as I’ve never seen anything since the day I had my transplant, he told me only Simon has access to the Glasgow records and that he has went off the radar and no one can get in touch with him. If furious as like you I’ve been sold a dream of the perfect hairline when in fact it’s patchy and makes me more self conscious than it did before. I am also still paying a finance company a lot of money every month for something I’m not happy with and something I know I can’t have rectified without spending thousands of pounds more for. Would love to speak more to you about it mate, and anyone else who is in the same boat as us. There must be something that can be done here, I’m up for fighting this and seeing where we can take it, Simon has basically taken thousands of pounds off of people for jobs he was getting unqualified people to do, he is probably lying in the sun somewhere spending all our cash. Hope to hear from you soon mate for a chat.

Sorry for your bad time there guy. on a positive note, I like the pics you sent. Love to see the befores..... There are many great docs in the US. I wouldnt go to another country because it does limit your ability to legally fix things should they go foul.