+ Reply to Thread

Question Are we limited by number of our grafts

I'm just wondering if we are pretty much 100% limited in what we can do with our hairlines based on the amount of grafts in the scalp - say 6,000 per average person, or a bit more or a bit less? Or is it the case that nowadays, even if somebody had used up a lot of their scalp grafts, they could still get a transplant from body hair? Or are we still 100% limited in overall terms to what our scalp can produce?

Also, will we still need a lot of grafts in our head when histogen is released, or will grafts be irrelevant at this stage, so that whether you have 7000 grafts in your scalp, or 0 grafts, it would be irrelevant? Or will graphs still count, both literally and metaphorically?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I'm just wondering if we are pretty much 100% limited in what we can do with our hairlines based on the amount of grafts in the scalp - say 6,000 per average person, or a bit more or a bit less? Or is it the case that nowadays, even if somebody had used up a lot of their scalp grafts, they could still get a transplant from body hair? Or are we still 100% limited in overall terms to what our scalp can produce?

Also, will we still need a lot of grafts in our head when histogen is released, or will grafts be irrelevant at this stage, so that whether you have 7000 grafts in your scalp, or 0 grafts, it would be irrelevant? Or will graphs still count, both literally and metaphorically?
    At this point in time, men are limited by the number of scalp hair grafts in their donor if they opt for strip surgery. With FUE, beard hair and chest hair can be harvested. Scalp hair is best though. ACell improves beard hair yield from 60% to about 90% when transplanted to the scalp and chest hair is not that reliable related to growing successfully on the scalp. If you have exhausted your scalp donor and beard hair, it's always recommended that those considering chest hair do a small test session. Chest hair grows about half the time on the scalp and when it does grow, approximately half the men who get growth are satisfied with their results. IMO it's only suitable for consideration when no other donor hair is available.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck