Has anyone tried FUE + SMP? - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi again,

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to have a 3rd party that knows the industry in and out on this forum.

What would be the best thing to do as a NW5-6 with average or below donor density? Have you seen any procedures work out well? Do you have any photos?

That's a great question. It be interesting to know the long term effects of smp on the skin. Does it create scarring on recipient zones in scalp? If there was FUE performed later would it be detrimental to the area? Seems like some folks that used smp with their transplant had good results as it seems to act like a filler.

Hi Tuna,

The best thing to do is to not do anything. The best thing to do is to accept the fact that roughly 40% of all men will experience some degree of hair loss so by losing your hair you're not a social outcast nor are you unusual. This is one of the first things I usually say to people asking what they should do and in many cases people will still have a surgery, which is fine. However, in your case I think because you stated you have (potentially) below average density you should probably just forget about surgery completely. You should visit an IAHRS member doctor to confirm this but if you're right then just don't bother investing in surgery especially since only a small # of grafts would be realistic to begin with. And by moving forward with a small FUE and then trying to add SMP to the mix you're just trying to game the system which rarely ever works out the way one intends.

If you MUST do something then consider tricopigmentation with a reputable clinic that offers it to see how you like it. If you like the look then maybe you can consider adding some FUE to key areas but it's something that you should really think through before committing. At least with trico, if you decide you don't like it, it will fade away in a couple of years and it won't be something you're stuck with.

Hi Sean,

You bring up some good questions.

It be interesting to know the long term effects of smp on the skin.
    I'm kind of torn on the subject but I do find it interesting. Tattoo ink in general is just a wild west side show in that you don't know what to believe but SMP pigments are supposed to be different. For one, and I can only speak about trico pigments, there aren't any black pigments which are considered bad. In fact, because trico pigments are made in Europe they have to pass stringent guidelines that are far more restrictive than anything the FDA does to regulate pigments and nothing that is known to have health issues is allowed. It is also supposedly hypoallergenic as well, which cannot be said of standard tattoo pigments in general. In fact, roughly 10% of people that get traditional tattoos will have some sort of short term allergic reaction to the process. From what I was told by Milena Lardi, she's never once had anyone report an allergic reaction after a trico procedure with her.

Does it create scarring on recipient zones in scalp? If there was FUE performed later would it be detrimental to the area?
    As I always say, when you cut the skin you scar. However, when we look at skin cuts or injuries similar to those caused by an SMP needle, such as those from dermal rolling, we get not so much scar tissue formation but instead we get an increase in collagen production. Traditional SMP needles may go as deep as 2mm but trico goes only .5mm which is as shallow as about the most mild dermal rollers available. Some rollers go 1.5mm deep but the point is that permanent scars do not form but new skin does so in the end there shouldn't be any hindrance or negative effects in that regard. When you also consider that the microneedles in a roller are much closer together than the pattern an SMP technician would make to achieve density I think the long term outcome is clear in that it won't hinder the growth of future graft growth should one wish to augment with FUE.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

This is a great thread, and Joe thanks for your honest answers that DO make a lot of sense.
    I hate to piggy back onto Tuna's thread, but I would like to pose a similar question...that is FUE with intention of not shaving right down + SMP.

I am a norwood 4V and currently machine cut to a #2 on top and then use dermatch to conceal scalp and the thinnest region, the crown.

I am planning for a 2000 FUE with Dr. Konior in the fall. He thought I had coarse hair during consultation.

What do you think about concentrating on a frontal zone hair transplant to rebuild the hairline/frontal zone with intention to machine cut on top to a #4, and then some SMP/trico behind this area and especially into the crown region for added illusion of effect? Would the contrast between a #4 machine cut (which is quite short) and SMP/trico behind it be too obvious? It seems like this could work to me, have you seen it in practice?

Is there a significant difference between something like SMP/trico and dermatch (what I am using now)?

Thanks for this informative thread.

Quote Originally Posted by losthair85 View Post
    This is a great thread, and Joe thanks for your honest answers that DO make a lot of sense.
    I hate to piggy back onto Tuna's thread, but I would like to pose a similar question...that is FUE with intention of not shaving right down + SMP.

I am a norwood 4V and currently machine cut to a #2 on top and then use dermatch to conceal scalp and the thinnest region, the crown.

I am planning for a 2000 FUE with Dr. Konior in the fall. He thought I had coarse hair during consultation.

What do you think about concentrating on a frontal zone hair transplant to rebuild the hairline/frontal zone with intention to machine cut on top to a #4, and then some SMP/trico behind this area and especially into the crown region for added illusion of effect? Would the contrast between a #4 machine cut (which is quite short) and SMP/trico behind it be too obvious? It seems like this could work to me, have you seen it in practice?

Is there a significant difference between something like SMP/trico and dermatch (what I am using now)?

Thanks for this informative thread.
    Hi Losthair85,

No worries. I think that what you're asking for, and the chances of it looking good, are relative and depend on a list of factors, including the contrast between your hair color and scalp color and how much loss you have in the crown. Obviously it's enough to have a need for concealers but if it has only peach fuzz that it clings to then SMP won't work well. If it's just a moderate overall thinning it can work quite well but you have to understand a key difference. Concealers are called concealers because they're concealing your scalp and when they do this they do so in a manner that basically makes your scalp disappear. SMP only provided dots that mimic the exit point of hair and reduces the amount of visible scalp but with visible scalp in between the dots, if that makes sense. So you won't have the same effect and you won't have the same degree of coverage.

There is also a sweet spot for length when you're having SMP for a thickening effect as opposed to a shaved effect. To be honest, I don't know what that sweet spot is in this regard and I'm sure it is different for everyone. I had it done on my own scalp five years ago and it worked very well but my crown hair was longer than a #4 guard. My advice is to not count on SMP to do what you want and just incorporate concealers into your plan, if you want to incorporate anything. Once you have your FUE with Dr. Konior then you can try SMP and if it doesn't give you the result you want then you've got concealers as the planned backup.

I hope that helps.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Joe, thanks for answering the concerns I had. It is good to know these things. Really helped clarify it a lot. Thanks again.

Default Hey

Hey let me know how things turn out. I'm 23 and same Norwood. I was planning to do 3000 fue grafts with smp for .5mm buzz cut so basically shaved but not quite. I like my head buzzed but I don't like being bald I guess no one does lol. But my plan to mix gives me the 3D of hair and the 2d of thickness from fue and smp, also gives the feel. Let me know how things turn out I'm only worried about the scarring if the smp will work on the scar tissue.

I fixed my FUE scars with BHT

Works like a charm.