+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default No shed on Minox

Hey guys. I have been using Minox foam for about five weeks now. Obviously I am aware that no visible results are to be expected yet, but I am curious as to why I have had no shedding whatsoever. I have only been applying the Minox to my hairline/temples which isn't actually recommended (although lots of anecdotal evidence suggests it works there) , so I wonder if this is the reason.

I have read lots of stories on here of people having horrific minox sheds, and most responses have been that shedding is a good thing- it means that the Minox is working. So does the fact that I have noticed practically no shedding whatsoever- potentially even less than pre minox use- mean that there is no point in me continuing to purchase Minox? Is the lack of shed in itself an indication that the Minox is having no effect? I am (potentially) at a very early stage of MPB and so it may well be that it is currently pointless to use Minox.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sometimes i feel its the blind leading the blind lmao. I've been using minox for about 4 weeks now. (since may 22nd) I've noticed a slight shed in the area that im applying it to. But the hair that im losing now looks strong and long, not those forsaken short and weakened thin hairs that are apparently a harbinger of a MPB like i used to. But that could be due to the finasteride i've also been using.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefalcon109 View Post
    Sometimes i feel its the blind leading the blind lmao.
    It is the blind leading the blind for the most part. Many people on here do not have enough experience treating their own hair loss to be able to provide reliable advise to those who are new to treating hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckingAngels View Post
    Hey guys. I have been using Minox foam for about five weeks now. Obviously I am aware that no visible results are to be expected yet, but I am curious as to why I have had no shedding whatsoever.
    Some people do not experience a shed. Most people do but some people do not.

There is usually nothing a male can do about temple hair loss because this is a natural and normal male trait. However, some males can regrow some of their temple hair with Minoxidil. If the area you are applying the medicine is completely void of hair, continued use of the medicine in that area is not going to do you any good. Minoxidil and Propecia are most helpful in the vertex and mid-anterior areas.

Hey guys. I have been using Minox foam for about five weeks now. Obviously I am aware that no visible results are to be expected yet, but I am curious as to why I have had no shedding whatsoever. I have only been applying the Minox to my hairline/temples which isn't actually recommended (although lots of anecdotal evidence suggests it works there) , so I wonder if this is the reason.

I have read lots of stories on here of people having horrific minox sheds, and most responses have been that shedding is a good thing- it means that the Minox is working. So does the fact that I have noticed practically no shedding whatsoever- potentially even less than pre minox use- mean that there is no point in me continuing to purchase Minox? Is the lack of shed in itself an indication that the Minox is having no effect? I am (potentially) at a very early stage of MPB and so it may well be that it is currently pointless to use Minox.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Using minoxidil only in temples is improvident. The hair loss will continue uninterruptedly on other areas. When you start with minoxidil, you must apply it on the whole area that is normally affected by hair loss.

You don't have to experience any shed on the low minoxidil concentrations. I have never experienced anything like this, even when I jumped from 2% to 5%. However, I experienced a very depressive shed in my temples, after I switched from 5% to 15%. In fact, even 10% is too much for me.

It is true that the success in temples is usually limited. I now experience a very encouraging regrowth in my slightly receding temples, on places that have been bald for 15-16 years. It is still premature to say, what a treatment is responsible for this, because I was using 10-15% minoxidil for 13 months (until mid-February 2012), and now I combine dermastamp + 6% minoxidil + Nizoral. In any case, you must combine as many treatments as possible, because the regrowth on these areas is difficult.

After 4 months, it will be clear if your regime works or not. If it doesn't, I would recommend either switching to a higher minoxidil concentration or to finasteride. Or combining minoxidil with finasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    After 4 months, it will be clear if your regime works or not. If it doesn't, I would recommend either switching to a higher minoxidil concentration...
    DuckingAngels,

It is in your best interest to ignore this recommendation. The known risks of using those shady high concentrations of Minoxidil out weight the unproven benefits. Stick to legitimate 5% concentrations. Also, four months is not long enough to know how well Minoxidil is working for you. At four months you only know IF Minoxidil is working for you. It takes 12 to 18 months to know how well Minoxidil is working for you.

Thanks for the advice Tracy. Would you recommend applying minox to areas that are currently showing no real signs of balding?

Another user of this board, I don't remember who, posted a link to this website once:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...-on-minoxidil/

Take a look at the site, lots of good info here.

More on minoxidil from the website:

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

Useful stuff there, thanks for the post.

Would you recommend applying minox to areas that are currently showing no real signs of balding?
    In males, Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is most effective in the vertex and mid-anterior areas. If you currently do not have a problem in these areas, you should not use Minoxidil.

Many males buy Minoxidil to use on there temples and hair lines. This is usually a waste of money and effort because males, especially caucasion males, are genetically programmed to loose their temple hair and develop an adult male hair line. Some males can regrow some of their temple hair with medicine but most males cannot. If your temples are completely void of hair, Minoxidil is not going to help you no matter what concentration you use. If you have at least some vellus hair in your temples, Minoxidil might be able to help you to some degree but the odds are against you.