+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbaliser View Post
    Your last sentences proves my point.
    For me hair loss is not science.
    Not that I speak for the individual you just quoted. But for most users certainly(I would hope) we are interested in what can be demonstrated to work.

So if you got some ideas that does not work, you will not be able to demonstrate that they do work through scientific studies and get them independently verified.

The reason I surely hope most of the users here go with science, is because science works. It is demonstrable, and our best tool. To toss out science is to toss out the best ideas every made by humankind and is highly irrational, it will lead to superstition, like taking snake oil salesmen on face value/Faith (Faith:A firm, stoic, and sacred conviction which is both adopted and maintained independent of physical evidence or logical proof.) . At best maybe it works somewhat(In which case it can be demonstrated) or does nothing, worst case it can damages you.

And that's why we get stuff tested first. Like vaccines and other sorts of medication. I do want to point out that I find it extraordinary to have someone admit openly that they don't think hair loss is science. Perhaps you don't know what science is? I find it so utterly remarkable that someone can be so irrational with so much information available at their fingertips.

Science is defined as:

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Or:

The use of evidence to construct testable explanations and predictions of natural phenomena, as well as the knolwedge generated through this process.

Doesn't this makes sense to you? This is how we figured out electricity, medication, biology, physics, pretty much all our knowledge that I can think of, well formulated into scientific theories:

A theory is a unifying principle that explains a body of experimental observations and the laws that are based on them.
    Theories can also be used to predict related phenomena, so theories are constantly being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenblastoise View Post
    Not that I speak for the individual you just quoted. But for most users certainly(I would hope) we are interested in what can be demonstrated to work.

So if you got some ideas that does not work, you will not be able to demonstrate that they do work through scientific studies and get them independently verified.

The reason I surely hope most of the users here go with science, is because science works. It is demonstrable, and our best tool. To toss out science is to toss out the best ideas every made by humankind and is highly irrational, it will lead to superstition, like taking snake oil salesmen on face value/Faith (Faith:A firm, stoic, and sacred conviction which is both adopted and maintained independent of physical evidence or logical proof.) . At best maybe it works somewhat(In which case it can be demonstrated) or does nothing, worst case it can damages you.

And that's why we get stuff tested first. Like vaccines and other sorts of medication. I do want to point out that I find it extraordinary to have someone admit openly that they don't think hair loss is science. Perhaps you don't know what science is? I find it so utterly remarkable that someone can be so irrational with so much information available at their fingertips.

Science is defined as:

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Or:

The use of evidence to construct testable explanations and predictions of natural phenomena, as well as the knolwedge generated through this process.

Doesn't this makes sense to you? This is how we figured out electricity, medication, biology, physics, pretty much all our knowledge that I can think of, well formulated into scientific theories:

A theory is a unifying principle that explains a body of experimental observations and the laws that are based on them.
    Theories can also be used to predict related phenomena, so theories are constantly being tested.
    Probably you didn't read my other posts.
    For me, no hair loss is not science because hair loss suddenly became science for beneficial reasons (do you get my point?)
    Thank you for clearing the definition of science, now i´m as patronizing as you are and at the same level.

Science is observable, repeatable, and/or testable, falsifiable, and explains our world in a natural (instead of supernatural) way. Science can be applied to anything that exhibits these characteristics; it's not a choice of the subject whether or not it can be considered science. You are a certified nut if you somehow consider our knowledge of hair loss not science. Regardless, I do believe most people are sane enough to put their trust in what can be shown to work. Good luck getting anybody to believe you without scientific backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    Science is observable, repeatable, and/or testable, falsifiable, and explains our world in a natural (instead of supernatural) way. Science can be applied to anything that exhibits these characteristics; it's not a choice of the subject whether or not it can be considered science. You are a certified nut if you somehow consider our knowledge of hair loss not science. Regardless, I do believe most people are sane enough to put their trust in what can be shown to work. Good luck getting anybody to believe you without scientific backing.
    The thing is i´m not trying to convince anybody like you are.
    And now you begin with sarcasm also, well that tells a lot and it would be horrifying for you if a natural treatment works.

Complete Newbie here, but I have to say that I agree and disagree. A lot of scientific discoveries have come from or mirror observations of nature, like aspirin for example. To quote wikipedia:

"Plant extracts, including willow bark and spiraea, of which salicylic acid was the active ingredient, had been known to help alleviate headaches, pains, and fevers since antiquity. The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates (circa 460 – 377 BC), left historical records describing the use of powder made from the bark and leaves of the willow tree to help these symptoms"

So everything natural isn't bad. But just saying "Hey, this works, try it!" is also wrong. You know you have something, so why not try to start measuring and recording results? I'm trying to do the same thing with S-equol in my thread (could really use some support though):

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showth...finitive-proof

Quote Originally Posted by Guinny Pig View Post
    Complete Newbie here, but I have to say that I agree and disagree. A lot of scientific discoveries have come from or mirror observations of nature, like aspirin for example. To quote wikipedia:

"Plant extracts, including willow bark and spiraea, of which salicylic acid was the active ingredient, had been known to help alleviate headaches, pains, and fevers since antiquity. The father of modern medicine, Hippocrates (circa 460 – 377 BC), left historical records describing the use of powder made from the bark and leaves of the willow tree to help these symptoms"

So everything natural isn't bad. But just saying "Hey, this works, try it!" is also wrong. You know you have something, so why not try to start measuring and recording results? I'm trying to do the same thing with S-equol in my thread (could really use some support though):

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showth...finitive-proof
    Thank you for sharing yours.
    I have posted many times that i´m going put pictures as this was mostly accidental (experimental), because of my diet change.
    Started a new thread regarding this (start your own topic) make your own conclusion.

And by the way i said this works for me.

Natural treatments are shit unless one has deficiency in something.

Not necessarily. "Natural" should just mean that it's found in nature and that you can get it without having to synthesize it, like vitamins. Not saying it should be as potent as if it was synthesized or boosted in a lab, just that it's naturally occurring.

Maybe my definition is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Pboy101 View Post
    You are a certified nut if you somehow consider our knowledge of hair loss not science. Regardless, I do believe most people are sane enough to put their trust in what can be shown to work. Good luck getting anybody to believe you without scientific backing.
    This statement shows that you are indeed very naive because from a scientific prospective, not much is actually known about human hair loss. I don't need to get into a argument with you or anyone else about this, but to accuse him or to suggest that he is a "certified nut" is totally out of order!

If science is so good and has all the answers, let's see pictures of your hair which you have regrown due to "science". Yep, I guessed correctly, you are either too embarrassed or too scared to post pictures of your own hair loss (or hair regrowth, which I doubt you have anyway....)