Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post HT with Dr. Bauman (please read)

I am updating this thread to reflect my current thoughts and get feedback. I spoke to Dr. Bauman today and he offered to do another FUE Neograft procedure for free to fill in the scars. He assured me that 900-1200 grafts could easily be obtained from my donor area. I am hesitant to do another procedure with him at this time since I do not know the results of my 4th HT. I will continue to document my growth with the last procedure.

What I do know is the last 3 HTs I have had with Dr. Bauman. I will document the facts as I know them. Also Dr. Bauman gave me a more accurate account of grafts taken so I want to pass that along in fairness to him. I wanted to pass along photos he took of me throughout the years, I emailed him on 1-19-2010 about my photos and my concerns and he didn’t respond so I posted the pics I have. After speaking with him today 2-3-2010 he apologized and said he was out of town but he would get me the pics I requested.

Here are the facts as I know them. The 1st procedure was on 11-1-2005, I had 1800 grafts according to Dr. Bauman, and he said that I had from 500-800 grafts put in my crown. The cost was $10,300 according to my invoice. The first procedure he did not use a tricophidic closure.

My 2nd HT I received 2000 grafts according to Dr. Bauman on 05-8-2007. The cost $9,900 according to my invoice. I did 2 hyperbaric chambers costing a total $400.

My 3rd HT I received 1600 grafts according to Dr. Bauman on 12-15-2008. The cost was $8700 according to my invoice. I did 4 hyperbaric chambers which cost $900, I purchased an X5 Hair Laser for $299, and one shampoo $16, one conditioner $16, 60 tablets of Viviscal $75 and 84 tablets of Appearex Biotin $32. The total for that invoice was $10,112 according to my invoice.

My 4th HT I received 1500 grafts for $20,000 and 751 single grafts for $7,510 on 11-18-2009 according to my invoice, I did 4 hyperbaric chambers and the total cost of my invoice was $28,530.62. As stated previously I do not know the full results of my 4th HT because I am 11 weeks into it. In total I have had 4 Hair Transplant surgeries by Dr. Alan Bauman, according to the graft numbers he gave me today I have had 7651 grafts and have spent $58,842.62.

I have attached all my pics from the 1st HT to the 4th HT. The pics are not great; I don’t really have too many pics after the 3rd procedure. I will just show you what I have and you can form your own opinions. I thank you for your time and support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2  wks-scars.JPG

Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	3705   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 wks-scars.jpg

Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	3706   Click image for larger version

Name:	2wks-scars.JPG

Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	3707   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 week HT 4.jpg

Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	3708   Click image for larger version

Name:	day 2 HT 4.JPG

Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	3709   Click image for larger version

Name:	day  2 HT 4.JPG

Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	3710   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 month HT 4.jpg

Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	3711   Click image for larger version

Name:	1month HT 4.jpg

Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	3712   Click image for larger version

Name:	2months HT 4.jpg

Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	3713   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 months after HT 2.JPG

Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	3714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 week after HT 1.jpg

Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	3715   Click image for larger version

Name:	before 1.JPG

Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	3716   Click image for larger version

Name:	before 3.JPG

Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	3717   Click image for larger version

Name:	before2.JPG

Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	3718   Click image for larger version

Name:	before 4.JPG

Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	3719   Click image for larger version

Name:	before 5.JPG

Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	3720   Click image for larger version

Name:	15 months HT 1.jpg

Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	3721   Click image for larger version

Name:	15--months HT 1.jpg

Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	3722   Click image for larger version

Name:	15-months HT 1.jpg

Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	3723   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 days HT 3.jpg

Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	3724  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1week HT 3.jpg

Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	3725  

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Alan Bauman, MD's Avatar

NK,

My staff and I were quite surprised by your posting, considering the consistently good communication we’ve shared and the care we have provided over the course of more than five years and four procedures, including your most recent FUE procedure we performed for you within the past ninety days and the recent contact you’ve had with the office this month.

For your first procedure in 2005, we opted for a linear harvest as opposed to FUE due to the numbers of grafts we anticipated needing for the frontal and crown area. With each subsequent medium-sized procedure, we discussed the pros and cons of harvesting hair vs. removing previous scar tissue from your donor area and the FUE option. The choices we made together were a result of weighing the goals of achieving the hairline, frontal and crown coverage against the risk of additional scars.

Though not an easy decision, if you remember our discussions, in each case we agreed to harvest in a ‘new’ area because:

1. The removal of a previous scar would certainly decrease the number of follicles we’d be able to also harvest during that procedure. (Removal of scar plus transplantable follicles typically yields far fewer than 1000 grafts.)

2. From our discussions, your hairline/coverage goals always took precedence over additional scars or scar revisions.

3. Your hairstyle has always easily covered the scar tissue.

As we just recently discussed, while you were here in the office just recently, there is more than adequate donor hair available to camouflage the scars if that is a goal in the future as well as to touch-up areas of future thinning, if needed. Additionally, I’m confident that all of the hair we harvested was from healthy, permanent areas of donor.

In the meantime, as we discussed today, remember that areas of visible scar can be

1. Camouflaged in the short-term FUE recovery-phase by using products like Toppik or Derm-match

2. Possibly reduced using a scar-revision procedure to reduce their size in the future, or

3. Eventually camouflaged using FUE/NeoGraft.

My staff and I all understand that you are going through the cosmetically awkward ‘in-between’ time. Waiting for the growth of the recent transplants and the coverage of the donor scars to occur can be difficult, so patience is needed and we are here for assistance and support 24/7--as we always have been for you over the years. Please let me know any questions or concerns you have.

Sincerely,
    Alan J. Bauman, M.D.
    Medical Director
    Bauman Medical Group
    Alan J. Bauman, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile
    Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    My website: http://www.baumanmedical.com

I think the up side to all of this is that it looks like you still have a decent full head of hair from a few inches behind the hairline back. Judging from your one month grown out picture you can easily cover the scars with your existing hair so you won't look like you were disfigured in anyway. Ok, if you shave the head very close it looks odd, bit it is still cosmetically salvageable. It’s hard to tell how much actual growth you have compared to what you might have lost since your first surgery. From everything that I’ve learned this past year on these forums is that hair transplants are just not a perfect science and sometimes people don’t get the results they expected. I doubt your doctor expected you to turn out like this either.
    In whatever you decide to do, I hope you can get to the point that you’re happy again with your appearance.
    Good luck!

Default Hello

Im very sorry this happen to you. I had almost the identical experience with bauman. He took no responsibility and refused to refund me one cent.

Exclamation Get Real

Seriously - how bad can this doc be that you went back 4 times...?????
    I'm wondering what's up with you. I live up North.....word is he is the
    "Dude" to see....

This certainly doesn’t look too good. My first thought was why three scars? I read Dr. Bauam’s reply and while I don’t think I would let him take three strips from different areas, he stated that this guy said okay to it. I would have said no, but that’s me. I think Winston made some good points when he said that you look like you will be able to cover the scars when your hair grows.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    This certainly doesn’t look too good. My first thought was why three scars? I read Dr. Bauam’s reply and while I don’t think I would let him take three strips from different areas, he stated that this guy said okay to it. I would have said no, but that’s me. I think Winston made some good points when he said that you look like you will be able to cover the scars when your hair grows.

Bauman said the same to me. He stated i agreed to things i didnt agree to. I also have multiple scars from bauman from 3 HT with little to no yield.

Though I rarely write, I feel I must chime in on this as well, for whatever it is worth. What has been bothering me most about the threads on this patient is that there is such viciousness, not on the part of the patient, but from the other posters who write who have given their thoughts on other sites. I feel bad that a patient would have to be subjected to such anger. I can certainly understand why this patient may not be pleased with his outcome, but why the hostility and abrasiveness from everyone? Who wins from that? Certainly not the patient. I think people think they are punishing the doctor by saying those things, but I think they are hurting the patient. I am jaw dropped when i read people use the term "Disfigured" to describe this patient. If this was me, I'd be so hurt by reading that. I don't think k10 is disfigured at all. I do hope you find peace and a resolution.

Default Yes

I agree with Lola.....does it really matter .......what's important is that people only fuel on this kind of unnecessary rhetoric......bashing the doctor, making the patient feel worse.....move on....

Arrow

[QUOTE=seriously1;8541]I agree with Lola.....does it really matter .......what's important is that people only fuel on this kind of unnecessary rhetoric......bashing the doctor, making the patient feel worse.....move on...