+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Its rather pathetic how propecia promoters use certain facts only in the way that suits them. First they claim how all the doctors and MDs are behind propecia. But suddenly when people with high end reputation, top scientists, top universities, and a very good number of them, all professors, MDs make these new findings.. propecia promoters start throwing mud on these people, calling their studies pop, unscientific and what not.. Why ? Simply because they've told the truth and the truth is that propecia is a health hazard.

Again, common sense, would You take advice for professors and MDs or a few propecia promoters. The answer is very simple and straightforward.
    A "very good number of top scientists, universities, professors and MD's have made these findings"? You got that from Irwig's unfunded, 71-man study?

And I said your examiner.com article is pop media, because it is. Don't rely on infotainment journalism for information on hair loss treatments.

And it's not even news. For the hundredth time, it was covered on this site early last year.

If you're just here to spam every active thread with this rubbish, admins should consider suspending your account. You are doing a horrible disservice to people who come here and are serious about hair loss.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    Out of curiosity, can I ask what dose you where taking? I was taking 70mg a day for 9 months. Worked for the skin but I wonder did it kick start the process of mpb for me. I doubt it did but then I never really noticed hairloss until it got bad.
    It was 7 years ago, so I can't 100% recall the exact dosage I went with - I recall I insisted on the max. and went with it, it was body weight related, it might have been 80mg ! But I took it less months I think, maybe 7 or 8 months.

It worked for me too, BUT I still had smaller issues since, although never as serious as it used to be before the drug.. I always tend to have a few smaller inflamations.. so although it did cure me 90%, I still wish it was 100%..

Same here, I always had a bad frontal line, receding and all, but its only way too late that I noticed the huge loss on my crown.. I've became truly aware of it in my very late 20s.. several years after I finished Accutane. Too late sadly, now when I think of it, knowing that I always had receding hairlines.. I should have started some kind of treatment, not now, but when I was a teen !

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Do you guys listen to The Bald Truth? Spencer Kobren has been on finasteride for like 17 years. Most people will NEVER have any side effects and if you haven't had them after taking it for five years, why would you stop taking it if it's working for you? Stop panicking, there are no real studies showing that these persistent effects are caused by Propecia. You should really listen to the show if you don't!
    Excuse me, but are You discrediting top 2 US Universities studies ? And trying to compare and portray the value of one personal experience with the reputation and credibilty of top scientists, professors and MDs ? Calling these people are their studies 'not real', now thats a proper insult.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Excuse me, but are You discrediting top 2 US Universities studies ? And trying to compare and portray the value of one personal experience with the reputation and credibilty of top scientists, professors and MDs ? Calling these people are their studies 'not real', now thats a proper insult.
    All that those studies say is that for SOME people finasteride MAY cause problems....
    The risk is extremely low as it's been proven through many many studies with thousands of participants. Do you discredit THOSE studies?

But I'm willing to bet *everyone* experiences side effects. To what degree is the ultimate question. You can't just diminish a potent male sex hormone (DHT) and diminish other 5AR conversions and think everything will be fine.

If your (sex) hormone levels allow you to slide without noticable sides - awesome, more power to you brotha - FIST PUMP.

Quote Originally Posted by notbelievingit View Post
    but i'm willing to bet *everyone* experiences side effects. To what degree is the ultimate question. You can't just diminish a potent male sex hormone (dht) and diminish other 5ar conversions and think everything will be fine.

If your (sex) hormone levels allow you to slide without noticable sides - awesome, more power to you brotha - fist pump.
    but what about the ****ing studies!? How come so few people reported side effects??? You think most of the subjects lied and kept quiet about it??

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    but what about the ****ing studies!? How come so few people reported side effects??? You think most of the subjects lied and kept quiet about it??
    No, they didn't lie. As I said, its ultimately a question of how much of an effect, in addition to realistic correlations.

If you can't get it up quite as frequently 5 years from now or feel less urges, is that simply because of the change in your hormones naturally or is it the Fin? You can't answer that. You simply can't, its just not possible. Its even less possible the older a guy gets. Would going off Fin make a difference? If it didn't, is that because its a permanent side effect or your hormones? Oh dear god you can't answer that either.

In other words - until we truly understand *why* the side effects occur, they should not be ignored or thought of lightly.

Bob13,
    You make it sound like armageddon, please rest assure there are thousands and thousands of people that take Finasteride, and will continue to do so without any sides. There are no alarms going off, except maybe in your head.

StressedToTheBald means well, but he isn't adding any new information to this topic. Everything he is saying has been quoted and discussed a million times before. I suggest you do a simple search, specially since it appears you're simply looking for a validation to quit. You can find plenty of that all over the internet.

No one can and will tell you what the right decision is. But given that you have been on the drug for years, I would suggest you use your own experience, and not listen to anyone that has never tried Finasteride and is simply repeating stuff he has heard on other anonymous forums.

As to one of your questions, well, if you keep stressing out and freakin out like this, than your life will become depressing. And when that happens please don't blame Finasteride.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
    What the hell is going on.
    Merck has shut down their website. Warnings are becoming alarming.

Should I quit . Should I stay on Propecia.

Is this drug gonna make my life depressing.

To tell you the truth I'm scared after taking the drug for 5 or 6 years.

Are you people even considering quitting?

Talk about it changing your brain.

Does anyone really know?
    This is serious folks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    All that those studies say is that for SOME people finasteride MAY cause problems....
    The risk is extremely low as it's been proven through many many studies with thousands of participants. Do you discredit THOSE studies?
    It actually says in the Traish study that in some patients the side effects from 5a-reductase inhibitors are persistent. For people thinking about going on propecia they should definitely read through the papers by Dr Irwig and Traish before they make up their mind with regard to whether or not they go on propecia. This would probably be a lot better than taking advise from a consumer advocate who says that its still considered an extremely safe drug.

At the end of the day though you cant blame someone for going on propecia even though it is dangerous because hair loss sucks.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by seattle30 View Post
    It actually says in the Traish study that in some patients the side effects from 5a-reductase inhibitors are persistent. For people thinking about going on propecia they should definitely read through the papers by Dr Irwig and Traish before they make up their mind with regard to whether or not they go on propecia. This would probably be a lot better than taking advise from a consumer advocate who says that its still considered an extremely safe drug.

At the end of the day though you cant blame someone for going on propecia even though it is dangerous because hair loss sucks.
    They indeed say so. Both Dr. Irwig and Dr. Traish point out to permanent ED and also link propecia to previously less known side effects such as depression and cancer.

And very good point as well - regarding whom to trust. These doctors actually come with undeniable reputation, unlike propecia promoters who still try to portray this drug as beeing 'generally safe'. The reputation of these studies is so significant that it has triggered first class lawsuits as well ! Dr. Irwig's percentages of side effects are also outstandingly higher than ones presented by the manufacturer. Take care and beware !