+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I wouldnt take too seriously this thining87 guy. he can be a bit of a troll sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Tenma View Post
    I wouldnt take too seriously this thining87 guy. he can be a bit of a troll sometimes
    He's trolling.... this is what gail naughton has to say:

The study is "interesting and scientifically important," said San Diego biotech executive Gail K. Naughton. She is chief executive of Histogen, which is developing a hair regrowth treatment. Creation of stable and functional DP cells has so far eluded researchers.

"Short term, a stable source of lab-created DP cells that are at a younger developmental age could potentially be an important screening assay to test efficacy in new hair growth treatments," Naughton said by email. "Longer term, these cells may be a treatment for baldness once safety and efficacy of the cells are conclusively shown in vivo."

To me, it sounds like she is worried this could make histogen irrelevant histogen. She is sitting around fingers crossed this doesn't pass safety and effcacy. IF it does, histogen goes bye bye.

I'm surprised they got her for comment. THis is a nice article.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...skikh-burnham/

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    I asked them about this, they didn't even know the article would be published.
    Doubtful that they had no prior knowledge. From the journals guidelines: http://www.plosone.org/static/guidelines

"All authors must approve the final manuscript before submission. PLOS ONE will contact all authors by email at submission to ensure that they are aware of the submission of the manuscript."

I have published there myself, and can confirm this is the case.

Well guys I understand your comments and that it sucks to hear what I'm saying. I myself jumped up the chair when I saw my roommate and my friend's names on that thing. The first thing I did was to start an email and a whatsapp conversation with both of them. The one that doesn't live with me guaranteed me this stuff isn't going anywhere. He gave me scientific details but I don't have a PhD in a biology related field so I didn't understand what he was saying.

I am actually going to play poker at a friend's house tomorrow night and he will be there. I will ask him personally to give me two paragraphs in English as to why this isn't going anywhere.

By the way I hope like everyone else here that he is wrong, but he was so confident about it I had to stop asking him why (especially because I wasn't understanding the reasons he was giving me anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by bboy5 View Post
    Why do you say it's far? We've already seen studies using DP cells on Human skin grafted on the back of mice. There's been an escalating stream of studies exploring different approaches to this for the past two or three years. The limiting factor in all of these was the induction problem. Now it looks like we have a viable solution for that problem. Moving to some form of Human study seems like the next obvious and logical step. Are you just being guardedly pessimistic or are you aware of further technical hurdles that are yet to be overcome?
    The 'induction' problem, what makes you think it's solved ? The 'induction' problem is NOT anymore the problem of generating DP's that can induce hairlike fibers. That's solved already. No, the problem is growing hair that is cosmetically viable.

Now, these researchers didnt even manage to grow hair that pierced the skin. On mice. Apart from that, they concluded: "However, the transplantation of GFP-positive BJ16 IPSC-DP cells resulted in formation of hairs with GFP-positive dermal papillae and dermal capsules albeit with much lower frequencies (1 hair out of 50) then in case of hESC-DP cells."

So, we're only interested in IPS cells of course, but their yield was only 1 hair on 50 DP's cells. So that's worse than what Jahoda already achieved some time ago.

Again, really nice work, but still so much to be done. "Thinning87" just said in the other thread it was his roommate and that it was done 5 years ago. Let's hope he's right, that would at least put us 5 year forward already

You misinterpreted what they wrote. hESC-DP cells ARE the cells they made from IPS cells. They are the cells that matter. Now, yes, they were used on mice, and are far from knowing how to implement this cosmetically. Hopefully other research teams have come to similar conclusions and are working on all of it.

Who knows how much they've figured out since this was published.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    You misinterpreted what they wrote. hESC-DP cells ARE the cells they made from IPS cells.
    No. hESC stands for "Human Embryonic Stem Cells". IPS stands for "Induced Pluripotent Stem cells'. The first comes from an embryo, the seconds comes from any other type of cells, usually skin. So the first are stem cells that never have been something else. The second are cells that were developed into for example skin cells and then are being turned back into their 'original stem cell state'. However these INDUCED stem cells are still not 100% the same as their original counter parts. And that's why the DP cells that formed out of these cells, only could generate hair like fiber in 1 in 50 DP clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    No. hESC stands for "Human Embryonic Stem Cells". IPS stands for "Induced Pluripotent Stem cells'. The first comes from an embryo, the seconds comes from any other type of cells, usually skin. So the first are stem cells that never have been something else. The second are cells that were developed into for example skin cells and then are being turned back into their 'original stem cell state'. However these INDUCED stem cells are still not 100% the same as their original counter parts. And that's why the DP cells that formed out of these cells, only could generate hair like fiber in 1 in 50 DP clusters.
    Couldn't they increase the dp clusters? Even one 1 out 50 doesn't seem that bad when you look at how small the cells are. What I'm asking is do you know of a reason why they couldn't implant thousands upon thousands of dp clusters? Also what is your opinion on replicel? They shown impressive results at 6 months, do you think that it could be a potential cure?

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Damn you're right. I reread it and was hoping you had misread it but you didn't. This kinda changes everything. No way they are going to use embryonic cells for large scale studies and cures, and the success with the IPS cells was barely more than what they have come up with DP cells from the back of the head.

I knew there was a time base, infancy related aspect to this problem. I really hope that the current researchers are paying close attention to this, and feel that it is useless to try to use adult skin and hair cells to induce hair. I wonder if there's some way to make IPS cells more like embryonic cells. It just doesn't make sense that DP cells, which have been subject to age and epigenetic changes, would be able to induce the right kind of new hair. It just seems like common sense beyond the scientific evidence that this recent paper, among others provide. Suddenly I have even less hope for hair cloning as a reality anytime soon. I really hope replicel doesn't crash and burn.