+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hair Transplant Failures

I think I posted this in the wrong area so I am posting it here as well. I just got a procedure done at Bosley 3 weeks ago and wouldn't you know it after all my research beforehand it is now afterwards that I am seeing so many negatives online after I had it done. It seems that all the positive things I see online are connected to doctors and hair clinics and all the negative stuff is from patients on blogs and forums and websites that had a procedure. I see stories of botched procedures, pain, numbness, and things like that but also stories of the transplanted hair falling out over the next couple of years after the procedure and damage done to good hair causing it to fall out also. I have seen just a few of these stories where guys end up worse than when they started. I am wondering if there are guys out there that can verify this or come here with stories of their own. Is it common to end up worse afterwards than before you started?

Hey Jimmy,

Yes, you definitely CAN end up worse than when you started. I started receding very slightly at my hairline at around 28 and totally panicked. I've added a picture of my hairline in March of this year. A month after the pic was taken i met with a reputable HT surgeon and 1 month after that, had 1,250 grafts to my hairline. The bottom line, i'm now 9 months post op and here is the outcome:

1) No growth of transplanted hairs (and i mean nothing !!)
    2) 3 weeks after the op i started to shed crazy amounts of hair
    3) The shedding has continued for 9 months
    4) You can see my scalp around my hairline and it's impossible for me cover it without toppik
    5) I've lost 1,250 grafts
    6) I've lost out on 6K Euros
    7) Most importantly, i'm mega depressed and pissed off !!

Looking at the picture of my hairline back in March, i can't believe i had a HT. I've lost so much hair since then it's unreal. Biggest mistake of my life. I'd do anything to go back to that time. I'm such a moron it's unbelievable !!

Don't get me wrong, if the transplanted hairs had grown, it would have been the best decision ever. I probably wouldn't have had to worry about my hair for the next 6-7 years. Especially since i'm now on propecia and my hair loss isn't progressing that fast. But i don't know what happened after the surgery, i've just been shedding and shedding. My grafts have actually grown and fallen out but i don't know why. I'm still 9 months post op, so maybe they will grow back, but i doubt it.

Anyway, to answer your question...Yes, you can end up much worse than when you started. To add to the insult of none of your grafts growing, a lot of you native hair can disappear too and not just the vellus hairs. I believe i have lost terminal hairs too that haven't grown back. Worst thing is, a failed HT can turn you into a right disgruntled b#stard :-) .

Can you imagine someone going from the hair in this picture, to 9 months later not even being able to hide a receding hairline ? That's what happened to me !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hairline.JPG

Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	12733  

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyhair View Post
    I just got a procedure done at Bosley 3 weeks ago...
    Worrying abut it now is going to do you more harm than good. Stressing out over whether the procedure will be a failure or not can make it a failure.

Relax and take care of yourself. It will be at least a year before you will know how much good the procedure has done for you. I had my second surgery 15 months ago and I still have hair comming in.

Folly I only see one picture and it looks like you have a nice head of hair on your head. Did some of the pictures not download? I would be interested in seeing your before and after pics in order so we could see what you are actually talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Folly View Post
    Can you imagine someone going from the hair in this picture, to 9 months later not even being able to hide a receding hairline ? That's what happened to me !!
    From that picture the doc should have told you that you did not need a HT

I think I posted this in the wrong area so I am posting it here as well. I just got a procedure done at Bosley 3 weeks ago and wouldn't you know it after all my research beforehand it is now afterwards that I am seeing so many negatives online after I had it done. It seems that all the positive things I see online are connected to doctors and hair clinics and all the negative stuff is from patients on blogs and forums and websites that had a procedure. I see stories of botched procedures, pain, numbness, and things like that but also stories of the transplanted hair falling out over the next couple of years after the procedure and damage done to good hair causing it to fall out also. I have seen just a few of these stories where guys end up worse than when they started. I am wondering if there are guys out there that can verify this or come here with stories of their own. Is it common to end up worse afterwards than before you started?
    Yes, it is usually because the patient needed hairloss medication, NOT A TRANSPLANT! Then you end up with some permanent shockloss as a result and yes a person can end up looking like they have less hair.

That is why I always tell patients to never inform the doctor that you have the money to pay for a procedure.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Folly I only see one picture and it looks like you have a nice head of hair on your head. Did some of the pictures not download? I would be interested in seeing your before and after pics in order so we could see what you are actually talking about.
    Jimmy, the pic in my first post is of my hair, 1 month before the surgery. I just had a little thinning at the front. Here is a pic of my current hairline, showing the areas where the 1,250 grafts were placed (within the red perimeters). So at 9 month post op, almost none of the grafts have grown and i have lost LOADS of hair i had there to begin within. All the hair which you can see within the surgical area is my native hair. Before the op, i had 3 times that amount of hair within the area. So not only have my grafts not grown, i've lost loads of the native hair i had there to begin with. And it wasn't hair that i was going to lose anyway, which is what i always read about on HT sites. They always say hair that doesn't grow back from shock loss was on its way out anyway. I don't believe that. I believe i've lost other 'good' native hair from this surgery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Post op hairilne - 9 months.JPG

Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	12816  

Quote Originally Posted by Folly View Post
    Jimmy, the pic in my first post is of my hair, 1 month before the surgery.
    You did not need a hair transplant. Do your best to stop worrying and stressing over it. All this worry and stress is doing you more harm than good.

Thanks Tracy C. I'm trying not to stress, but i can't stop myself from getting on these forums and reading about HT in general. I'm definitely gonna try to stop all this though.

I've been on propecia for the last month, so hopefully i will regrow a little hair using that and i can forget about hair transplants for the next 2-3 years. Just hope propecia doesn't cause me a big shed initially. I've stopped shedding hair for the past 3 weeks or so, after 9 - 10 months of intense shedding after the HT. Fingers crossed i can get back to where i was pre-op. Thanks.

Folly,

Have you been formally diagnosed with MPB by a reputable HT docotr, NOT the ones who did your procedure?

I mean you may not even have genetic hairloss (MPB) and then you are taking Propecia? Feel free to contact me for a referral to someone reputable in ideally your area.

Also, Propecia is not going to regrow anything in the frontal zone of your scalp. If you had that much density there to start with, they could have potentially transected much of the hair there already, and not much to do with shockloss as you are thinking.

Transection is permanent damage to exisitng hair and/or follicles.

I don't like being the bearer of bad news but you need to know what you are dealing with. With the head of hair that you had, you may have just been experiencing a natural upward movement of your once juvenile established hairline, NOT MPB.

That's why I am somewhat skeptical of what you have been told by the clinic and you need to get advice from someone honest and reputable that does not need your business.

I wish you the best as you get things worked out for yourself!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin