Dutasteride success after Finasteride failure?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dispare
    • Oct 2014

Dutasteride success after Finasteride failure?

I was just wandering if anyone had success with Dutasteride after not responding to Finasteride.

I've been on Finasteride for almost 12 months and my hair has significantly thinned diffusely, so I've decided to jump to Dutastride.

The success stories I've read tend to be from those who initially responded to Finasteride and switched once it's effects began to wane or started on Dut, bypassing Fin altogether.

I'm just a bit concerned that as I didn't respond to Fin at all, I shouldn't be too optimistic about Dut.

Thanks in advance for your input.
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

There is a certain genotype that does not respond at all to fin and 1-2 that respond but very weakly. Hopefully you are one of them cause for dut you will respond!

*by 'respond' i mean fin does not sufficiently inhibit DHT in some (there is even a genotype where dut suppresses more 5ar2 than fin!)

Comment

• rdawg
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Dispare
      I was just wandering if anyone had success with Dutasteride after not responding to Finasteride.

I've been on Finasteride for almost 12 months and my hair has significantly thinned diffusely, so I've decided to jump to Dutastride.

The success stories I've read tend to be from those who initially responded to Finasteride and switched once it's effects began to wane or started on Dut, bypassing Fin altogether.

I'm just a bit concerned that as I didn't respond to Fin at all, I shouldn't be too optimistic about Dut.

Thanks in advance for your input.
      I'll let you know man, had the same issue where FIN was not doing anything and/or just slowing the process, I maintained roughly the same frame of hair(NW3) but thinned considerably since starting on FIN.

switched to DUT in mid-november, so going on two months, not much shedding or anything since switching and this stuff is more powerful so I only take it 1-2 times a week(stays in your system for 3 weeks as opposed to 2 days on fin)

hopefully I stabalize on DUT, dont expect growth at all with my aggressive hairloss, however I can dream that something like BIM will come out soon and I start gaining ground again, but we'll see

Comment

• Simon007
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by rdawg
        I'll let you know man, had the same issue where FIN was not doing anything and/or just slowing the process, I maintained roughly the same frame of hair(NW3) but thinned considerably since starting on FIN.

switched to DUT in mid-november, so going on two months, not much shedding or anything since switching and this stuff is more powerful so I only take it 1-2 times a week(stays in your system for 3 weeks as opposed to 2 days on fin)

hopefully I stabalize on DUT, dont expect growth at all with my aggressive hairloss, however I can dream that something like BIM will come out soon and I start gaining ground again, but we'll see
        Hi
        what amount of Avodart are you taking? i been on .5mg for more then a month and still losing hair, unlike with Propecia where noticed less hair shedding on the 2nd day

Comment

• Dispare
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Dan26
          There is a certain genotype that does not respond at all to fin and 1-2 that respond but very weakly. Hopefully you are one of them cause for dut you will respond!

*by 'respond' i mean fin does not sufficiently inhibit DHT in some (there is even a genotype where dut suppresses more 5ar2 than fin!)
          Thanks Dan.

I hope I do, as it's my last resort.

Fingers crossed that I can post a success story on here in 12 months.

Comment

• Dispare
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by rdawg

I hope it work it out for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Seems like we are in exactly the same position.

My biggest concern is that with the extent of my thinning I won't be able to get a decent HT.

Comment

• rdawg
              • Jun 2012

I hope it work it out for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Seems like we are in exactly the same position.

My biggest concern is that with the extent of my thinning I won't be able to get a decent HT.
              That's my #1 issue, not that i'm convinced of getting a HT, it's just that it's literally not an option right now after asking some reputable peole and going on some HT forums(just sent in an online consult) essentially being a diffuse NW2-3 at under 25 makes you a very poor candidate.

Which is why If I stabalize it hopefully I can actually have an HT as an option within a year or two. But I have no idea if DUTs working yet, only been 2.5 months or so.

Comment

• FFS
                • Dec 2014

I took fin for almost a year and lost a riduclous amount of hair, im now 2.5 months into Dut and think im hitting a pretty heavy shed now which is scary my hair is getting worse by the week and im not exaggerating at all!!. How can I tell if this is a healthy shed where hair is getting pushed out to grow later or rapid continual loss? I was a healthy nw2 a year ago now im below nw3 and I have no idea what happened. : (

Comment

• Buster
                  • Jul 2012

I'm curious to see how this pans out for you. You say that you've thinned significantly over the last year, did it seem to escalate shortly after starting Finasteride? A few months after starting Fin my hair loss seemed to speed up, just wondering if Dut is a good idea for me.

Comment

• Buster
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Simon007
                    Hi
                    what amount of Avodart are you taking? i been on .5mg for more then a month and still losing hair, unlike with Propecia where noticed less hair shedding on the 2nd day
                    Not possible, just a coincidence that you didn't notice it.

Comment

• Dispare
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Buster
                      I'm curious to see how this pans out for you. You say that you've thinned significantly over the last year, did it seem to escalate shortly after starting Finasteride? A few months after starting Fin my hair loss seemed to speed up, just wondering if Dut is a good idea for me.
                      Like everyone else's hair loss it's a long story but I'll try to summarise it.

I have always had very fine hair but lots density and a double crown, so difficult to style. So, I always kept it short and cropped.

Started noticing thinning in the crown 5 years ago but with my fine hair and double crown I didn't think much of it as it didn't seem like it was progressing and I was happy with the rest.

Last year I noticed it thin significantly in the crown and now thinking back I do remember having a couple of bouts of intense itching the previous year but didn't make a correlation. But by last year the crown had thinned noticeably to a point where friends commented on it but my hairline and front density was still intact. So you could only see it from on top or from the back.

I saw a HT consultant who said I had too much hair and that I wasn't bald just had miniaturised hair which would respond to Fin. I took it for a month and then stopped for a month as I had exams to sit and thought it was giving me headaches (it wasn't). During the month off Fin I started getting sharp pains on my scalp and subsequent miniaturisation in those areas. Got back on Fin after the month off and took it everyday for the next 12 months.

During this time I have had regular bouts of scalp itchiness, at least once a week and continued miniaturisation. Basically, the double crown thinning has encroached further and has reached the hair line on the right and is about half way on the left. Front has lost 50% if not more of it's density.

I thought it was a shed so kept taking it but I realised that a shed shouldn't last this long and even if it was I wouldn't be miniaturising and having scalp irritation. I don't think Fin accelerated the loss, I just think that I took Fin at a time when my hairloss was accelerating and I didn't respond to Fin.

So at the moment I'm not a candidate for a HT as I have too much hair but not enough to style and large areas of see through scalp.

Fingers crossed for Dut.

Comment

• Dispare
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by FFS
                        I took fin for almost a year and lost a riduclous amount of hair, im now 2.5 months into Dut and think im hitting a pretty heavy shed now which is scary my hair is getting worse by the week and im not exaggerating at all!!. How can I tell if this is a healthy shed where hair is getting pushed out to grow later or rapid continual loss? I was a healthy nw2 a year ago now im below nw3 and I have no idea what happened. : (

Stay strong. I think if it goes beyond 5-6 months then you might not be responding.

Dreading the shed too, my hair is no fine right now that a heavy shed would just leave fuzz on top.

Comment

• Dispare
                          • Oct 2014

6 week update:

First week: My itch resolved and in the course of the week my hair started feeling stronger; could have been psychological.

Weeks 2-4: Started shedding heavily and scalp became itchy. Started get red spots where the itch was and it shifted everyday around the scalp. That said it was a different shed and itch then when I was on fin. I started seeing a lot more thinner and shorter hairs shedding. But the shed was bad. I'd be sitting at work and 1-5 hairs would fall at a time. Run my hands through my hair 1-5 would come out. Shower, again after washing my hair again I'd find hairs in my hand.

Week 5: Shedding seem to decelerate noticeably. No hairs even after vigorous rubbing of my hair or 1 at the most. Thought I'd turned the corner. Experienced a noticeable decrease in libido but nothing catastrophic.

Week 6: Shedding or miniaturisation started again, along with an itch. This time it was similar to what I was experiencing on Fin. Libido back to normal.

So at the moment my hair looks pretty bad and is continuing on the hair loss pattern i was on when taking Fin.

I hope it's a shed that I'll recover from but I'm fearing the worst.

Comment

• Simon007
                            • Jan 2015

6 week update:

First week: My itch resolved and in the course of the week my hair started feeling stronger; could have been psychological.

Weeks 2-4: Started shedding heavily and scalp became itchy. Started get red spots where the itch was and it shifted everyday around the scalp. That said it was a different shed and itch then when I was on fin. I started seeing a lot more thinner and shorter hairs shedding. But the shed was bad. I'd be sitting at work and 1-5 hairs would fall at a time. Run my hands through my hair 1-5 would come out. Shower, again after washing my hair again I'd find hairs in my hand.

Week 5: Shedding seem to decelerate noticeably. No hairs even after vigorous rubbing of my hair or 1 at the most. Thought I'd turned the corner. Experienced a noticeable decrease in libido but nothing catastrophic.

Week 6: Shedding or miniaturisation started again, along with an itch. This time it was similar to what I was experiencing on Fin. Libido back to normal.

So at the moment my hair looks pretty bad and is continuing on the hair loss pattern i was on when taking Fin.

I hope it's a shed that I'll recover from but I'm fearing the worst.
                            I tried Avodart for 2 months and the shedding was so strong and also it got worse from week to week, so eventually cut it off and not back on Propecia.
                            i have tried so many things and came to conclusion that for the money wasting then might as well get the best permanent solution which is hair transplant,
                            hey for $6k and no worries for the next decade i think its a win win
                            good luck to you man
                            Miami Beach here i come wowo

Comment

• TinTin
                              • Jul 2015

Sorry to bump this thread but did any of you fellas benefit or lose from your switch over from finasteride to dutasteide in the end?

I'm in the same boat at the moment, zero progress (in terms of healthier hair, stronger hair, or regrowth) after being on fin for 13 months. I may have maintained but it's hard to say really as I would need to wait at least another year to notice any further loss i.e. with my diffuse hair loss always being so gradual over the past decade.

So now I'm tempted (through sheer sleepless desperation) to try dutasteride.

One thing I will say (which may or may not be of any interest) is that I had my DHT blood levels tested before starting fin and I already had DHT levels in the "low end of normal".

Comment

Working...