How often to shampoo while using Rogaine? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default How often to shampoo while using Rogaine?

I was curious how often to shampoo when using Rogaine.

People with success using Minoxidil, how often have you shampoo'd? And the routine/products you use (how often you shampoo, what shampoo you use, if you use nizoral, if you shampoo before using nizoral, etc.)

I would think it's a possibility that Rogaine MIGHT absorb better with a gentle daily shampoo... However, my scalp doesn't get too oily, I also haven't experience the "greasy" feeling some seem to get using the liquid Rogaine. I currently only use Nizoral 2-3 times per week. There's alcohol in the Rogaine though, so when I rub it in, it'd probably cleanse the scalp anyways.

I appear to be getting a little flaking on my scalp, I've just been using Rogaine for a week now. I've seen some apparently solve the flaking issue by shampooing daily (I would think this would dry the scalp up).

Also, how long do you leave your Nizoral in?

Quote Originally Posted by awakeodin View Post
    ...(how often you shampoo, what shampoo you use, if you use nizoral, if you shampoo before using nizoral, etc.)
    Hello,

Nizoral is shampoo so there is no need to wash your hair before using it. Use Nizoral in place of your regular shampoo. If you are using 2% Nizoral, you should not use it more than once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often. If you are using the 1% Nizoral A-D, you can use that up to twice per week if you want to but not more often than that. I am reading that a lot of people are over using Nizoral. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people, but if you over use it you can make your hair problems worse. It is a good idea to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner when you use Nizoral.

You should wash your hair whenever it needs washed. You should also give your hair a break from washing as often as you can get away with doing so.

Shampoos and conditioners are a very personal choice. Whatever you like is fine. I can give you a list of what I have and use to give you an idea.

I use Nizoral A-D twice per week. On those days, I use Aveeno Nourish+ Mousturize conditioner.

Now that the weather is better I am outside working out much more. Therefore I need to shampoo and condition more often. Following the advice of Dr. Charles from this forum, I am now using a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner most of those day unless I am going out. The sulfate free shampoo and conditioner I am currently using is Aveeno Pure Renewal shampoo and conditioner.

On the days that I am going out I use volumizing shampoo and conditioner because I want to look as nice as possible. The volumizing shampoo and conditioner I use on those days is Aveeno Nourish+ Volumize shampoo and conditioner.

As you can probably tell, I like Aveeno products. I also use Aveeno Nourish+ Condition leave in treatment to help me de-tangle my hair and protect it from my styling tools (curling iron, straightening iron and blow dryer). The hair spray I use is Aveeno Nourish+ Style hair spray.

How you care for your hair is also very important. Guy's usually do not know how to care for their hair properly and often abuse their hair. When you wash your hair, do not scrub vigorously. Massage your scalp gently with the pads of your fingers. Rinse shampoo and conditioner out thoroughly and carefully. When you dry your hair with the towel, don't rub your hair vigorously. Gently pat your hair dry with the towel. When you de-tangle your hair, don't force a comb though it. Gently de-tangle your hair with your fingers first, then use a de-tangler comb to finish de-tangling. If you use a blow dryer, use it on the lowest settings. Be gentle with your hair, especially when it is wet.

Take care,

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Hello,

Nizoral is shampoo so there is no need to wash your hair before using it. Use Nizoral in place of your regular shampoo. If you are using 2% Nizoral, you should not use it more than once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often. If you are using the 1% Nizoral A-D, you can use that up to twice per week if you want to but not more often than that. I am reading that a lot of people are over using Nizoral. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people, but if you over use it you can make your hair problems worse. It is a good idea to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner when you use Nizoral.

You should wash your hair whenever it needs washed. You should also give your hair a break from washing as often as you can get away with doing so.

Shampoos and conditioners are a very personal choice. Whatever you like is fine. I can give you a list of what I have and use to give you an idea.

I use Nizoral A-D twice per week. On those days, I use Aveeno Nourish+ Mousturize conditioner.

Now that the weather is better I am outside working out much more. Therefore I need to shampoo and condition more often. Following the advice of Dr. Charles from this forum, I am now using a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner most of those day unless I am going out. The sulfate free shampoo and conditioner I am currently using is Aveeno Pure Renewal shampoo and conditioner.

On the days that I am going out I use volumizing shampoo and conditioner because I want to look as nice as possible. The volumizing shampoo and conditioner I use on those days is Aveeno Nourish+ Volumize shampoo and conditioner.

As you can probably tell, I like Aveeno products. I also use Aveeno Nourish+ Condition leave in treatment to help me de-tangle my hair and protect it from my styling tools (curling iron, straightening iron and blow dryer). The hair spray I use is Aveeno Nourish+ Style hair spray.

How you care for your hair is also very important. Guy's usually do not know how to care for their hair properly and often abuse their hair. When you wash your hair, do not scrub vigorously. Massage your scalp gently with the pads of your fingers. Rinse shampoo and conditioner out thoroughly and carefully. When you dry your hair with the towel, don't rub your hair vigorously. Gently pat your hair dry with the towel. When you de-tangle your hair, don't force a comb though it. Gently de-tangle your hair with your fingers first, then use a de-tangler comb to finish de-tangling. If you use a blow dryer, use it on the lowest settings. Be gentle with your hair, especially when it is wet.

Take care,

Tracy
    Thanks the reply : )

Most people around here seem to use Nizoral at least 2-3 times per week... I guess based on the studies that have been done claiming it can reduce hair loss. I haven't had a problem with it, and I'm not shedding any hair, so I might continue that.

While using Nizoral, they also seem to shampoo daily, and this is what I'm most curious about when using Minoxidil - if cleansing your scalp daily might help absorption (or if the alcoholic content in Rogaine is enough to help penetrate the scalp). I called the Rogaine maker's, and they have no comment other than a recommended "wash at least every other day".

My scalp doesn't also doesn't seem to get oily, but since starting Minoxidil a week ago it has gotten a tiny bit flaky and little itchy occasionally. I've read a number of users online have gotten rid of this by washing their hair daily (which seems to be counter productive to an itchy scalp, as I would think washing daily would only dry it out more).

I guess I just have to experiment and see if my scalp feels less itchy from washing daily? And maybe I'll rub in a bit of emu oil in the morning a few hours or so before I wash (while like you said, gently cleansing my hair).

Quote Originally Posted by awakeodin View Post
    Most people around here seem to use Nizoral at least 2-3 times per week... I guess based on the studies that have been done claiming it can reduce hair loss. I haven't had a problem with it, and I'm not shedding any hair, so I might continue that.
    Hello,

Using Nizoral 2-3 times per week is over using it. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people when used properly - but over using Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp and make your hair situation worsen.

There is absolutely no need to wash with regular shampoo before washing with Nizoral. That is just plain silly.

What brand of Minoxidil are you using and what strength is it?

Take care,

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Hello,

Using Nizoral 2-3 times per week is over using it. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people when used properly - but over using Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp and make your hair situation worsen.

There is absolutely no need to wash with regular shampoo before washing with Nizoral. That is just plain silly.

What brand of Minoxidil are you using and what strength is it?

Take care,

Tracy
    Rogaine Liquid 5%, I don't have any issue's with it being greasy like I've seen many complain.

Thanks for your help