Threaded View

Default Reporting on Finasteride usage. 3 months on 0.2-0.3 mg every 5 days

I'll make a quick (but accurate) report on my experience, as promised time ago. I hope my thoughts aren't too confusing.

My objective was to use the least effective dose of finasteride to avoid an unnecessary overdose of a dangerous substance. After researching user experiences and trying minimal doses of it, i have stabilized to taking 0.20-0.25mg every 5 days.
    I was using clinical trial data and the oiliness of my scalp as an indicator of its efficacy.

For all doses between 0.2mg to 0.635mg the oiliness of my scalp unfailingly disappeared entirely for 5 days, appearing slightly the fifth day and causing acne by the seventh practically without fail.

This way, for about three months, i have taken less than 0.5mg of finasteride once every 5 days, tapering off the usage at start and end of my "trial", albeit doses under 0.2mg showed no effectiveness at all.

-Side effects appeared at day 2. Non-restorative sleep. I never imagined such a bland name could describe the worst physical feeling i had ever experienced to that point in my life. It however progressively disappeared in around a week.
    -After 2 weeks i started noticing sexual side effects. After taking a new dose my libido and penis sensitivity increased mildly. At the same time, after 2-3 days since taking the dose they received a noticeable decrease instead.
    -Around two weeks i started experiencing the effects of estrogen excess, joint clicking (but no soreness) and stray pains in the chest. I also experienced ulnar nerve entrapment despite doing the barest physical exercise, which i had done for years before. It took 4 months to heal.
    -Around one month in, after reducing my carb intake, i started experiencing strong symptoms of adrenal insufficiency (adrenal fatigue), like difficulty getting out of bed and constant fatigue. It resolved after discontinuation of finasteride and raising carb intake. It's unclear whether finasteride played a role in this, but i read of many others experiencing the same. Low carbing isn't supposed to cause disabling adrenal insufficiency, even when adopted suddenly, which is something i did not do.

After discontinuation of finasteride i experienced a period of 2 weeks of high libido and excellent sexual performance, after which everything seemingly normalized, then my "emotionality" and penis sensitivity suffered a tumble. No visual change occurred in body composition, size or even function. While emotionality seems to have recovered after one more week, penis sensitivity has not. I'll wait until the two months mark since discontinuation to call it a "permanent" side effect.
    Finally, what i mean by "emotionality" is the emotional response to stimulus. For a good week no song, social exchange or activity could get me "excited", "pleased" or "satisfied", yet i can't call it depression. Just a form of emotional bluntness without apparent cause.
    Last edited by Aston; 09-01-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Corrected sexual side effects. First increase, then decrease.