+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry At 25 quickly aggressive hairloss ruined my modeling career, and now my life.

Hair one day. Gone the next.
    I had always had a genetically high hairline, something I was only a little concerned about until I turned 18 when I saw a gradual thinning at my temples. By 21 it was so bad I had to start wearing my bangs out long to cover it. I started modeling at 17, and now I cannot get gigs anymore due to my hairloss, and the gigs I do get they have to really doctor my photos to lower my hairline. I have thinning now in the crown and the temples. I have always had baby fine curly hair even as a child my hair was a problem. I remember my hair was so fine if I combed it too rough It was come out in patches as a kid. Which has exacerbated the problem, making my head look 10 times worse than it really is as you can tell in the before and after photos below. I still wear my bangs a little low and super curly to give off the illusion of a symmetrical hairline and no thinning on top, so far it has worked, until this year where it has gotten so bad I can’t even hide it anymore. My bangs are just too sparse to get any coverage on my forhead, and my hairline has moved a mile back. I feel like my confidence level has fallen through the floor due to this, I look at least 10 years older than I really am with this problem and feel like I am now in a rush to find someone to date before I get too old looking. I actually ordered some Toppik yesterday to see what it can do for me. I am really crossing my fingers with this one. I also ordered Nioxin to try and combat the problem. I am willing to throw as much money and energy as I can at this problem to try and solve it, short of an actual HT (that I cannot afford at this time in my life). I already tried Rogaine, which DID NOT work on me.
    Genetically, I am literally the ONLY male in my family to suffer from hairloss on BOTH SIDES. My father still has a full head of hair and all of my mother’s brothers and my grandfather all have full heads of hair. I must have drawn some kind of unlucky straw at birth, or my hormones are all out of whack. When I went to the doctor to get blood tests done, they said everything came back normal. I also have slight gyno that developed during puberty that never went away which I think has something to do with this problem. I also noticed my hairloss grew progressively worse when I started to grow major facial hair this past year. Another weird trait I should not have inherited. I have a lot of Native American, Portuguese and African American blood in me. I should have a beautiful full head of thick hair and little to no facial hair. It is all connected in my mind and confusing.
    Whatever the issue is, I am willing to hunt to the ends of the earth to solve it. I know many people aren’t going to have sympathy for me because their hairloss issues are far worse, but thanks for listening to me at any rate. Take care.

First two photos are from 2004-5, (Back when I was 17 and 18)
    The latest ones are from yesterday

Dont mind the buzzed part of my hair in the third photo, that is just the hairstyle I currently have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hh.jpg

Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	15574   Click image for larger version

Name:	l (2).jpg

Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	15575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120619_022418.jpg

Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	15576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120619_022115.jpg

Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	15577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120619_022509.jpg

Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	15578  
    Last edited by Hairlossvegas; 06-19-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add an icon

Inactive

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hairlossvegas View Post
    Whatever the issue is, I am willing to hunt to the ends of the earth to solve it. I know many people aren’t going to have sympathy for me because their hairloss issues are far worse, but thanks for listening to me at any rate.
    I'm sure plenty of people here are sympathetic (whether they're better or worse off than you), as everybody here wants the same thing you do. We're all in this together.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people here are sympathetic (whether they're better or worse off than you), as everybody here wants the same thing you do. We're all in this together.
    Thank you so much. :'(

holy shit man, im so so sorry. maybe you should buzz cut it ... man life isnt fair.. you guys ever wonder why we even go through hairloss? Like yeah i get it.. DHT blah blah but i just dont get what the point of men losing their head hair is from an evolutionary, or for that matter any point of view. Like why are our head hair follicles even negatively affected by DHT? like what purpose does that serve?

P.S you said you tried minoxidil but did you try finasteride..?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefalcon109 View Post
    holy shit man, im so so sorry. maybe you should buzz cut it ... man life isnt fair.. you guys ever wonder why we even go through hairloss? Like yeah i get it.. DHT blah blah but i just dont get what the point of men losing their head hair is from an evolutionary, or for that matter any point of view. Like why are our head hair follicles even negatively affected by DHT? like what purpose does that serve?
    Well if you think about it, man first was covered completely in body hair and over thousands of years we lost most of our body hair. So maybe the evolutionary changes of the future of Man we will all be baldies and on the same playing field. If everyone is in the same boat it won't matter anymore.

I honestly empathize with you....I turned 23 in April, and I have horrible hair loss. I haven't cut the top part of may hair in going on 2 years and it's still hard to hide. I have come to the conclusion that I'm probably meant to be a Norwood 7.....and I already have God awful self esteem issues, then I had this thrown at me. Lost my dad at the age of 22 unexpectedly, losing my hair so, so fast, trying to financially make it through college.....so I very much feel your pain. I'm trying desperately to hold out until 2014-15 when I truly think at least one of the current trial methods will be released. But my hair is falling out too fast for that sadly.
    To top it off, I'm the ONLY one losing my hair on both sides of the family, I too have Native American genes, and my family has never had any noticeable hair loss for generations. Guess we were all the lucky ones lol.

You look like you've got the right face "design" that a buzz would work well with actually.

Whether that gets you modeling gigs or not is another question. Its all about the look. Hair loss is a "bad" look.

Quote Originally Posted by JRQ View Post
    I honestly empathize with you....I turned 23 in April, and I have horrible hair loss. I haven't cut the top part of may hair in going on 2 years and it's still hard to hide. I have come to the conclusion that I'm probably meant to be a Norwood 7.....and I already have God awful self esteem issues, then I had this thrown at me. Lost my dad at the age of 22 unexpectedly, losing my hair so, so fast, trying to financially make it through college.....so I very much feel your pain. I'm trying desperately to hold out until 2014-15 when I truly think at least one of the current trial methods will be released. But my hair is falling out too fast for that sadly.
    To top it off, I'm the ONLY one losing my hair on both sides of the family, I too have Native American genes, and my family has never had any noticeable hair loss for generations. Guess we were all the lucky ones lol.
    Have you tried fin?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    WHAT NOW GUYS? ARE YOU GOING TO TELL HIM PEOPLE LOOK BETTER BALD TOO!?

OP, I feel you. I am going through the same thing. I'm young and had gyno - but my hair loss is from meds. Anyway, just get on fin, minox, and nizoral ASAP. Ride out any possible shed, then look for a HT after a year and a bit. Make sure to also be tested for hormonal imbalances and all that.

Hopefully a cure is just a little bit away, so you can still make it. You've got a bit more room to give, so that is good. Best of luck, but don't show any sign of weakness on here. People will pounce on you and call you all sorts of names.

NW1 OR DEATH AT NW3!!
    wow you're pathetic or a troll. Either way, I have started to report your posts. You're getting banned soon. Enjoy your last days

Don't mind Highlander. He's the annoying little brother that won't leave you and your friends alone.

You should do some research around the forum. There are a few treatments out currently (the "Big Three") that have shown some effectiveness, but none that work perfectly. Be careful of snake oil, nearly everything does nothing at all.

On a positive note, there are a few treatments in the pipeline that are showing some promise for ending baldness. Histogen is one of my favorites. Then there are experimental chemicals like RU, CB, and OC. OC000459 is my favorite prospect at the moment.

I would recommend getting Nizoral for sure and seeing how often you can tolerate using that. Then look into Minox and Fin and see if the side effects are something you can deal with. A full spectrum vitamin E supplement (like Toco-8 or Tocosorb) also couldn't hurt. Just look stuff up. Most of this is too complex to tell you in one post, or even one thread.

Most important of all, try not to let hairloss consume your every thought. Worrying won't speed up any current research or bring back any hair (if anything, it will help you lose it).