I want a transplant, but I have little idea where to begin. - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default I want a transplant, but I have little idea where to begin.

Well, maybe more than a little - but I'd like to leverage the knowledge base around here if at all possible to save myself some headaches.

A little about myself - hair loss started at 16, I'm now 27. I do have hair on top, but it's very, very thinned out. That being said, I think my eventually pattern will be a NW6 like my dad.

I was taking propecia for around 6 months. I'm pleased to say it seems to have halted my loss, and with rogaine I made significant regrowth - the kind where people actually comment - but unfortunately I've been off it for 3 months. I'm restarting now, however.

I am prepared to have multiple procedures, but I'd like the first to be as comprehensive as possible nonetheless.

I'm not really sure what's possible for me, so I'd like someone to take a look at my head.

Here's the problem - I'm in Kentucky - the only transplant surgeon in this state seems to have a strict preference for the over 30 age, which is fine with me, but I feel like I know where I'm headed already.

I am realistic about what can be achieved - of course I want a good result, but even though I have a pretty severe pattern, a few things make me think I would make a pretty good candidate nonetheless.

So - does anyone have any doctors in my area I should reach out to? I've also been impressed with the work of Hasson and Wong... so travel is not really an issue, but travel for consultation might be problematic for me.

How long am I looking at? If I do decide to go through with the procedure - and I very much want to - how long is the waiting list? I'd ideally like to have this done before age of 30. It's also entirely possible I'm just not a good candidate. I have a very large, thick donor area, and the balding area, while it does constitute the majority of the top of my head is still relatively small.

I have a naturally high forehead, (maybe just an inch or two from the top of my head) and want to preserve that, and I don't mind a lack of crown density either.

Quote Originally Posted by Foligone View Post
    Well, maybe more than a little - but I'd like to leverage the knowledge base around here if at all possible to save myself some headaches.

A little about myself - hair loss started at 16, I'm now 27. I do have hair on top, but it's very, very thinned out. That being said, I think my eventually pattern will be a NW6 like my dad.

I was taking propecia for around 6 months. I'm pleased to say it seems to have halted my loss, and with rogaine I made significant regrowth - the kind where people actually comment - but unfortunately I've been off it for 3 months. I'm restarting now, however.

I am prepared to have multiple procedures, but I'd like the first to be as comprehensive as possible nonetheless.

I'm not really sure what's possible for me, so I'd like someone to take a look at my head.

Here's the problem - I'm in Kentucky - the only transplant surgeon in this state seems to have a strict preference for the over 30 age, which is fine with me, but I feel like I know where I'm headed already.

I am realistic about what can be achieved - of course I want a good result, but even though I have a pretty severe pattern, a few things make me think I would make a pretty good candidate nonetheless.

So - does anyone have any doctors in my area I should reach out to? I've also been impressed with the work of Hasson and Wong... so travel is not really an issue, but travel for consultation might be problematic for me.

How long am I looking at? If I do decide to go through with the procedure - and I very much want to - how long is the waiting list? I'd ideally like to have this done before age of 30. It's also entirely possible I'm just not a good candidate. I have a very large, thick donor area, and the balding area, while it does constitute the majority of the top of my head is still relatively small.

I have a naturally high forehead, (maybe just an inch or two from the top of my head) and want to preserve that, and I don't mind a lack of crown density either.
    You started correctly by starting your research here.

I have to ask, why did you stop taking the medication if you were seeing positive results? I think you should forget about your goal of having surgery before you're 30 and try the medication for two years. This is how long you should theoretically see benefits improving as the efficacy will then plateau. By waiting the full two years you'll not only see the final result it can give you, it will give you the time you need to properly research your options and what it is exactly that you want to do. In the meantime, reach out to doctors and get an assessment for what they think and weigh the differences between each assessment.

Hair restoration research is a long game and shouldn't be rushed. Just when you think you've learned what you need to know, you learn that you've got ten times more to learn.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

To add to what Joe said. I would definitely not hesitate to consult with clinics either online or in person, if you can. Another thing to keep in mind is money. If you go to a Western clinic, a decent size op will cost about as much as a small car (or a big one). So, save up the funds. That way you don't need to cut corners. Wait lists for the better clinics tend to be from 2-3 months to a year. Although you can get on sooner in the event of a cancellation.

-Joe ... Thanks for your response. I hope you find this message well. Why did I stop taking fin? Dumb reason, really. Despite never experiencing side effects from using fin on and off over the years, I allowed talk online of side-effects to put me off taking the drug, this despite the fact that I really don't know of experiencing any whatsoever. At this point, I think I will just take it for granted that I will not. I'm back on the drug now. Hopefully being off it for 3 months didn't set me back too far. Rogaine and fin combo, I definitely saw some regrowth, but the overall aesthetic result is very lacking. At this point I'm happy to be able to have a pretty decent look when my hair is buzzed.

People have told me I have a good head shape, I can grow a very nice beard, and in spite of the fact that I shave my head, I have been matching with women on Tinder of all places. (Not a large amount of matches, but far more than I expected I would with the look). Women (even young women) often seem attracted to me, although I am proposition a lot less now, which is the worst sting in terms of attracting a mate.

I tell you all this to make it clear that the issue is not with how I look - I've been told by random people I look like a certain bald celebrity (people have literally approached me to do this) and I will not mention the name of that celebrity because I do not want to be identified, but the gist is, he is considered an attractive bald man.

Again, the issue is not how I look - let me clarify - to others - the issue is with my own self perception. I don't know if a hair transplant can remedy that at this point, but I'll always have the question on my mind - could it have? How much could it improve my self-image. I'd certainly like to explore the option.

Right now I have a consultation with a AHRAIS doctor scheduled for June. But I'm really leaning towards someone like Hasson and Wong if I decide to take the plunge. I'm growing my hair out currently to submit for a consultation with them.

So my main issues so far are the surgery itself - I've never had surgery, never had a tooth pulled, nothing. The idea of getting my head cut open... I don't know how to come to terms with that. It's not so much the pain - I'm guessing the meds make it manageable - but the experience of being exposed like that, while conscious. I'd likely have to fly, which is also an issue of anxiety for me, but that one I look forward to conquering. The fear of getting my head sliced open somehow seems more reasonable even in modern times.

Then, I wonder if the donor hair will thin out. I seem to remember my dad having a thick thick horseshoe in his younger days, but now as he approaches 70, it seems to have thinned out. I realize he is getting up there, but I wonder if the same will be in my future, and how this would impact a potential transplant. I don't know if I would care at the age of 50 or 60 to be honest.

For now though, it's going to take a couple of more months to grow out my hair to the appropriate length for consultation. I kind of look forward to this period, as I feel a bit like Sean Connery, which is great, except I feel like the old version of Sean, and I'm 26. (That's not the actor I mentioned earlier, by the way, heh.)

So to sum up, I'm taking steps to actually speak to some doctors now. If I'm going to do it, I want someone who is as good as possible. Expense is not a major concern. I'd frankly rather have hair than that "dream car" or even a bigger house. Those things just don't mean so much to me. And of course, I'm still coming to terms with being SLICED OPEN. Ha.