+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just filled my first script of Propecia

Hello everyone. I am 23 and just had my first Propecia script filled, it should arrive in the mail in a couple days. Insurance doesn't cover it so lucky for me my parents are paying for it out of pocket. I feel like a bit of a douche for that, but then again I feel like more of a douche losing my hair.

Naturally, I am a bit concerned about the sexual side effects, but I am thinking of not taking the full 1mg/ day right away. Instead, do perhaps a Mon/Wed/Fri thing to gauge my susceptibility to the negative effects, as I have read that for many people, decreasing the dose/frequency often alleviates negative symptoms with out loss in benefits. I also realize that permanent side effects are rare, so I am trying to think positively.

So far, I have been using Nizoral 1% twice a week (now on 2%) + Minoxidil foam once per day. I know people say you should use it twice per day, but I have read posts by at least one doctor on here saying that with the foam it is only somewhat more effective to use it twice because it stays in one place. It is generally too much of a hassle to remember to use it twice daily, but once I can do.

I have had decent results so far. My hair does seem overall somewhat healthier and thicker, the Nizoral seems to notably reduce the number of hairs I shed on a daily basis, and the "crack" on the crown of my head has closed in enough so that it is now difficult to find my scalp to apply the rogaine. (I am only applying it on my bald spot at this time.) Before, I could easily feel the foam going on because there was more skin exposed and I could feel the coldness. Now, a lot more seems to get in my hair, so although it takes more time to apply now, I am glad to be getting good results.

Anyway, just wanted to share what is going on with me in this arena. I have been so stressed that I am doomed to go bald for the past 1-2 years, and lately that worry has been diminishing. Hopefully with Propecia added to my regemin, I can at least halt the loss and stop worrying in general.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You need to give the Propecia at least 9-12 months to do its job. You should now if you have any negative side effects within the first few weeks.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    You need to give the Propecia at least 9-12 months to do its job. You should now if you have any negative side effects within the first few weeks.
    Will do. Although I think I've heard of initial results within the first 3. My hair loss is not horrendous yet, just becoming more noticable and so I think I have good odds.

Took 1/8 of a pill last night, first time taking it. No morning wood today, feel less desire. Can get hard but takes effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Is this entirely accurate? Oftentimes people experience fin sides a couple months in or, perhaps worse, only after they've stopped using the medication.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyBird View Post
    Took 1/8 of a pill last night, first time taking it. No morning wood today, feel less desire. Can get hard but takes effort.
    Fuсk, hope all is well mate, keep us updated and stay safe. Could be placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Fuсk, hope all is well mate, keep us updated and stay safe. Could be placebo.
    It could be an unknown designer drug I took a couple nights ago. Was extra horny yesterday after taking it, now not at all.

According to the dose response curve, 1/8mg should reduce DHT by ~50%.

I plan on not taking anything for today and seeing how things go. Will keep people updated.

On the bright side, just got a hair cut. It seems that the 2% Nizoral is doing a nice job of thickening up my hair as coverage seems to be noticeably better.

Just wacked off. Penis feels a bit insensitive but everything went alright. I think this could partly be placebo, and also partly being messed up the other night. I'm going to take a few days off and see where I'm at. Hair loss should not be this difficult. Gah.

CurlyBird, this kinda surprises me. At first I actually experienced heightened libido. It took 2 months before I crashed. Tempted to say you may be just anxious, but who really knows?

Freakin out hours after taking FDA approved medication when you'll take a drug whose contents you are unsure about... lulz.

Dude some days I'm more horny than others... and that is not different from when before I took fin. Of course I don't know, but you might be freaking out a bit. If your side effects are psychological, I doubt you'll last taking fin second guessing every boner you don't get.