+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Inactive

Lightbulb Like/regret your hair transplant?

Has anyone here undergone a hair transplant with an IAHRS member surgeon and regretted your decision? Or are you glad you went through with your transplant, even if it didn't fully meet your pre-op expectations?

Default Need some advice, story inside!

Sorry! For that!

Sorry it has taken me some time to respond to this; Spencer pointed this post to me a few weeks ago, and since then I haven’t had the chance to put together an intelligent answer.

I have had 3 hairs transplants: one with Bosley Medical in year 2000 (regret) and 2 with IAHRS doctors (Doctor McAndrews in 2008 and Doctor Alexander in 2009). I do not regret my hair transplants with my IAHRS doctors. I love my new head of hair. It’s restored the feeling of comfort in my own skin, it has improved my general attitude, especially in social settings, and it has given me back a high level of confidence. I enjoy it so much that I do not even think about the linear scar I have as a result of the hair transplant surgery. In my opinion, if hair transplant surgery is approached with the right attitude and research, then the chances of regretting one’s decision are very low, and perhaps not even possible. In my case, I was unwilling to be bald. My social life is hard enough as a man of short stature, and I was not willing to exacerbate it with hair loss. I don’t foresee regretting my hair transplants in the future, but I also acknowledge that anything is possible.

In terms of approaching hair transplant surgery with the right attitude and research so that you acquire the highest probability of never regretting hair transplant surgery, based on my experience and things I have learned from The Bald Truth and Spencer Kobren, I’d recommend the following:

1. Always treat hair transplant surgery as a last resort to treating your hair loss – as Spencer says, hair transplant surgery “will always be there”. Remember this, too: “one you’re cut, you’re cut.” Hair transplantation is irreversible. Using it as a last resort makes perfect sense. If you try FDA-approved medication for example as a first resort, you may be lucky with excellent success, and delay the need for hair transplant surgery for years. And who knows? By then your attitude may have shifted about your hair loss and surgery, and you may never have to undergo surgery, thereby eliminating the possibility of regretting it. Also consider other possible therapies, such as PRP, to see how your hair loss responds to it.

2. If you do choose to have hair transplant surgery, do your research! If you ever seek advice before getting hair transplant surgery, you’ll hear the words “do your research”, over and over again. Great! But how do you do it? First, in my opinion, choose a doctor under the umbrella of the IAHRS – they are the elite. You seem to understand this already. In the past I wrote an entire blog specifically on the topic of doing research in hair transplantation, and Spencer, being as cool as he is, was kind enough to publish it on his website. You can check it out here, if interested: http://www.thebaldtruth.com/author/teejay/

3. Lifelong commitment. If you do leap into the hair transplant abyss, remember too that you should be committed to it for the ultimate long haul – your whole life! But that’s a good thing: a lifelong head of hair. In my opinion, and based on the advice of my doctors, one should be willing to (i) acknowledge that more than one hair transplant may be needed in one’s life in order to reach a cosmetic result that is pleasing to the patient and (ii) take medication – such as Propecia® - for life. The reason for ongoing medication is twofold: to prevent further hair loss of any remaining native hair you have and to protect your investment in your hair transplant. It can be expensive – I have spent just under $30K.

4. Keep your expectations in check. If you’re one of the unfortunate that didn’t dodge the bullet of the hair loss gene, then remember that if you choose hair transplantation, you need to keep your expectations in check. This is critical. We can never get our teenage hairlines or teenage density back, nor should we. Hair transplants can only redistribute remaining hair across the head; it’s not a cure and it doesn’t create hair. It’s a cosmetic band-aid; a cosmetic illusion. But it can be an awesome one! Remember that you only need 50% density restored to create the illusion of 100% fullness, since the eye cannot distinguish the difference. Coupling this with an “age appropriate” hairline (a naturally higher hairline than a teenage hairline, which requires less hair to create), that looks good NOW and long into your future, the art of redistributing remaining hair can give a man a head of hair that makes him incredibly happy.

5. If you “aren’t sure” if you may one day regret your hair transplant, no matter how much research you have done, no matter how much you dislike your current state of hair loss, no matter how much your expectations are in line with what is possible, then put your hair transplant on hold. This of course is my opinion. But I’d say that if you have even the smallest inkling that you may regret your hair transplant some day, then put it on hold. Why not? Sure, it may absolutely suck to live through your current baldness, but remember, hair transplant surgery will always be there. And by putting it on hold, this gives you time to try FDA-approved medications and up-and-coming therapies, such as PRP. But also, and very importantly, it gives your emotions about hair transplantation time to stabilize. And once they finally stabilize, you may be in a very different place – emotionally, physically, mentally etc. – with respect to your hair loss and interest in getting surgery.

Hope this helps!

TeeJay

This is a great post full of really solid advice, TeeJay!

I regret it. I would give anything to go back in time and undo this hair transplant. I would love to be able to shave my head

The hair transplant just does not look natural, even though I was promised a naturally appearing hairline from a "recommended" surgeon. And the strip scar? Even though my strip scar is not very wide, it is still THERE. And there is no way that I can ever buzz my hair short because of this permanent scar. EVER. I have a permanent line in the back of my head, just like all the other strip victims who have posted.

The bottom line? Do NOT get a hair transplant. Accept that you are balding and that you still look good. Do not make the same mistake I made. If I can persuade just one person to stay away from a hair transplant, then I will feel like my suffering is not in vain. Good luck with your decision.

Don't Do It

I think an important question must be asked about the future of hair transplants and whether they are a good idea. My current thinking is that if Histogen pulls off their new therapy, hair transplants will be a bad idea, because transplanted follicles will interfere with the rejuvenated ones.

On the other hand, if Aderans comes up with the goods, it won't really matter.

Personally, I'm going to wait for a few years first and stick to the big three. I'm used to looking awful and a few more years won't hurt in order to get it right.

Also, I'm looking at emigrating somewhere hot and seriously thinking, no matter how much I hate the look, that I might need a shorter cut for a while. I've learned recently that it doesn't matter if you look like a twat, as we baldies do; it's our intelligence and experience that sells.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by don'tdoit View Post
    i regret it. I would give anything to go back in time and undo this hair transplant. I would love to be able to shave my head

the hair transplant just does not look natural, even though i was promised a naturally appearing hairline from a "recommended" surgeon. And the strip scar? Even though my strip scar is not very wide, it is still there. And there is no way that i can ever buzz my hair short because of this permanent scar. Ever. I have a permanent line in the back of my head, just like all the other strip victims who have posted.

The bottom line? Do not get a hair transplant. Accept that you are balding and that you still look good. Do not make the same mistake i made. If i can persuade just one person to stay away from a hair transplant, then i will feel like my suffering is not in vain. Good luck with your decision.

Don't do it
    omg what a downer!!

Don’tdoit, who was your “recommended doctor” and who is he recommended by? Was he recommended from this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I think an important question must be asked about the future of hair transplants and whether they are a good idea. My current thinking is that if Histogen pulls off their new therapy, hair transplants will be a bad idea, because transplanted follicles will interfere with the rejuvenated ones.

On the other hand, if Aderans comes up with the goods, it won't really matter.

Personally, I'm going to wait for a few years first and stick to the big three. I'm used to looking awful and a few more years won't hurt in order to get it right.

Also, I'm looking at emigrating somewhere hot and seriously thinking, no matter how much I hate the look, that I might need a shorter cut for a while. I've learned recently that it doesn't matter if you look like a twat, as we baldies do; it's our intelligence and experience that sells.
    What are "the big 3"? Rogaine, Propecia, and . . . ? Thank you! I only know of big 2

Nizoral shampoo is the third.