+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    How did you style your hair in your younger days, and did you use any meds?
    I didn't use any meds until 13 years ago and before that every time I came back from getting a haircut I would change it up. sometimes long with a
    body-wave then I went onto spiky and short and finally before it began to get thinner I grew it past my shoulders and wore it long in a ponytail.
    It wasn't until my cousin sat me down once and said don't freak out but I'm going to cut it short. She was right though it looked better.

Quote Originally Posted by mlao View Post
    I didn't use any meds until 13 years ago and before that every time I came back from getting a haircut I would change it up. sometimes long with a
    body-wave then I went onto spiky and short and finally before it began to get thinner I grew it past my shoulders and wore it long in a ponytail.
    It wasn't until my cousin sat me down once and said don't freak out but I'm going to cut it short. She was right though it looked better.
    And the thinning happened 3 years ago?

And the thinning happened 3 years ago?
    For the first 9 years on meds it was changing but is was imperceptibly slow.
    It wasn't until 2009 that it began to bother me (age 55)

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    ~6 years pre fin about 6-7 years post fin. Got the hairline regrowth in the early years. Mostly around forehead and small amount in corners. It was not much but better than nothing.Adding Fin worked far better as I actually saw my hairline come forward. After dropping fin, hairline slowly went back over the past 6-7 years so trying lose dose of fin to see if I can stop it.

Good luck getting the hair back. I dropped minox for 3 months for health reasons late last year. I lost a lot in the back. It looks like I will get some but not all of it back. Another reason I am giving fin another shot....
    Just to clarify the things: You were losing your hair after 6 years on minoxidil and that was the reason, why you added finasteride? You shouldn't quit minoxidil at any cost - your hair is dependent on it and you would be bald within 6 months. Finasteride can support the effect of minoxidil, yet it can't keep the hair saved by minoxidil.

No he had MPB all along, it just started then stopped for 2 decades.
    This persistent foolish denial isn't doing you any good. It isn't hurting either but it certainly isn't doing you any good.

No first 4 of the first 6 I was simply trying to get back my hairline. I did get some mild regrowth at first but not for too long. Then I found I was starting to thin out in the back and tried for 2 years to stop it on Minox. But after 2 years it was obvious that I had lost a lot of ground so I went on Fin. Yes it was Fin + minox and I had really good results. But after 3-4 years stopped Fin due to sides and it was minox only from that point only. Minox has worked pretty good in the back though I have lost ground recently. Hairline has just gradually gone back over the past ~6 years I have been off fin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    This persistent foolish denial isn't doing you any good. It isn't hurting either but it certainly isn't doing you any good.
    I can't be bothered to argue, when it is clearly obvious that there are many men that do not develop a mature hairline.

And if say they do later in life, it is due to MPB gene expressing itself.

No first 4 of the first 6 I was simply trying to get back my hairline. I did get some mild regrowth at first but not for too long. Then I found I was starting to thin out in the back and tried for 2 years to stop it on Minox. But after 2 years it was obvious that I had lost a lot of ground so I went on Fin. Yes it was Fin + minox and I had really good results. But after 3-4 years stopped Fin due to sides and it was minox only from that point only. Minox has worked pretty good in the back though I have lost ground recently. Hairline has just gradually gone back over the past ~6 years I have been off fin.
    It was a crucial mistake that you had used it only on hairline! You must use it on the whole area affected by MPB from the start! Furthermore, considering that you started your treatment ca. 15-16 years ago, it means that you used only the 2% minoxidil version at the beginning? I would never quit an effective treatment against hairloss, unless it would amputate my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    It was a crucial mistake that you had used it only on hairline! You must use it on the whole area affected by MPB from the start! Furthermore, considering that you started your treatment ca. 15-16 years ago, it means that you used only the 2% minoxidil version at the beginning? I would never quit an effective treatment against hairloss, unless it would amputate my hands.

1- When I started minox I only had the elusive mature hairline and nothing else.

2 - Back in the 90's there were several hairs web sites that said not to worry about the mature hairline because once it stops , you are home free. As in forever. But several older guys on one of the hair boards said that it would sooner or later start up again, most likely in the back. So I did start using it in the back even though I didn't need it. But within a couple of years it my vertex started forming despite already being on minox. It was too aggressive for minox to stop by itself so I added Fin.

3) Never stopped Minox other that this past winter to see if it was contributing to health problems. It wasn't so back on it.

2 - Back in the 90's there were several hairs web sites that said not to worry about the mature hairline because once it stops , you are home free. As in forever. But several older guys on one of the hair boards said that it would sooner or later start up again, most likely in the back. So I did start using it in the back even though I didn't need it. But within a couple of years it my vertex started forming despite already being on minox. It was too aggressive for minox to stop by itself so I added Fin.
    Wait until Tracy chimes in and tries to dispute you.

Got any pics of your mature hairline from that time?