+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I change from Finasteride to Dutasteride as a 19 yo?

Hello fellas, I'll make it quick!

I've been taking finasteride (1mg) for the past 1 year and a half + minoxidil, and it doesn't seem like it's doing much. It's still thin, and it keeps falling. So right now I'm trying to guess if it's not doing anything to me or if it's at least slowing it down...

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of my hair before I started taking the drug because everytime I'd do that, it'd put me completly depressed so I just tried to avoid looking at the mirror/taking any photos.

But since my hair is curly and quite oily, I have to wash it every day. And so far, it doesn't look like it's helping me that much...

So I would like to know what you guys think about trying dutasteride as a 19 yo boy, or increasing fin's dousage.

I'd take any risk to see my hair back ! I just want to be happy and enjoy my life once again ..... Because ignoring this problem is something that I REALLY cannot do :'(

Thank you for reading this and helping me out.. you guys are the only ones that I can speak about this problem, because neither my parents nor my friends can understand how stressful hairloss on a teenager can be !

It seems that Fin is not powerful enough in your case to completely fight off your hair loss, so I'd say go for it and make the switch to Dut. It is pointless increasing your dosage of Fin to try to get better results, because Fin has an essentially flat dose-response curve. The younger MPB starts, the more aggressive it usually is. Since you are only 19, your hair loss is probably very aggressive. Therefore, you need to treat it with the most powerful option available. In other words, definitely give Dut a try. Others on here may disagree with me, but this is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Y gwningen llwyd View Post
    It seems that Fin is not powerful enough in your case to completely fight off your hair loss, so I'd say go for it and make the switch to Dut. It is pointless increasing your dosage of Fin to try to get better results, because Fin has an essentially flat dose-response curve. The younger MPB starts, the more aggressive it usually is. Since you are only 19, your hair loss is probably very aggressive. Therefore, you need to treat it with the most powerful option available. In other words, definitely give Dut a try. Others on here may disagree with me, but this is my opinion.
    Well, I still have a "decent" amount of hair, the thing is that I started taking fin as soon as i started noticing that my hair was thinning.

But yeah, I think I'll give dut a try ... Can i start taking it from now or should I take a break from Fin before starting?

Thanks for ur opinion btw man Really appreciated

@Edit: Also, If i change to Dut, will i suffer any further hair loss from stopping fin/starting dut?

Quote Originally Posted by Vunoo View Post
    Can i start taking it from now or should I take a break from Fin before starting?
    You should switch straight from Fin to Dut without taking a break in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Vunoo View Post
    @Edit: Also, If i change to Dut, will i suffer any further hair loss from stopping fin/starting dut?
    No. There's no way that would happen. Dut will be expected to halt your hair loss even better than Fin will.

Quote Originally Posted by Y gwningen llwyd View Post
    You should switch straight from Fin to Dut without taking a break in-between.

No. There's no way that would happen. Dut will be expected to halt your hair loss even better than Fin will.
    Thank you very much for your help man :') Cheers!!