+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hey

Default Hey

Hi everyone, just thought i'd introduce myself and my hairloss. My name is Will and i am 18 years old, born and raised in South Australia. I first started experiencing hair loss maybe a year or year and a half ago and given my age it has been quite a difficult thing to come to terms with, although i am still (I believe) in the very early stages of hair loss. The first sign i experienced was shedding when washing my hair or when i would run my hand through my hair. I thought nothing of it until i started to notice my hair line receding. Right now my hair line has receded perhaps 1/4 of a cm, i have a couple of thinning (almost bald) spots above my hair line and my crown is thinning somewhat.

Now I know what you're thinking, these are all very minor things and i agree, the only reason i am so worried about it is because there are VERY clear signs of hereditary hair loss in my father's side of the family, my dad is 51 and almost completely bald and started losing hair around my age, my granddad (84) has just enough hair to pull of a combover, but worst of all my 23 y/o brother is experiencing severe hair loss with about half of his hair gone already, my other brother (25) has experienced a little hair loss but can still easily hide it.

Personally this has been very difficult, as my hair used to be long, curly and thick, now i have to style it in very specifically and constantly redo it.

So here are some pics (please excuse the selfpic style lol :/ )

links in case the images don't work:

http://imgur.com/a/NSUAm#0
    http://imgur.com/a/NSUAm#1
    http://imgur.com/a/NSUAm#2
    http://imgur.com/a/NSUAm#3

As you can see its still early days, however i would like to be proactive in preventing further hair loss and have considered nizoral and possibly minox, but not propecia at this stage. Do you think these would help slow down the process. Please comment with how you think i should proceed, thanks!!

p.s. this site has been really good so far and has helped with all of the negativity that i felt towards my hair loss.

nizoral and minox won't help slow down the progression of your hair loss, if you've got any. only propecia will do this. minox encourages regrowth, but it's rather unsubstantial, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by WilloH View Post
    As you can see its still early days, however i would like to be proactive in preventing further hair loss and have considered nizoral and possibly minox, but not propecia at this stage. Do you think these would help slow down the process. Please comment with how you think i should proceed, thanks!!
    Hello,

Your hairline is just a normal adult male hair line at this time and as such is really nothing to worry about. The thinning on the crown however is an indication of hereditary hair loss (androgenetic alopecia/MPB). Minoxidil can regrow hair but it can only do so much because it can do nothing to block the hormone that is triggering the hair loss. Propecia blocks the hormone that is triggering the hair loss. Nizoral is only an adjunct treatment and not a stand alone treatment.

Your best chances of arresting and possibly reversing the thinning and loss is to use both Propecia and Rogaine (or generic equivalents). Nizoral may be helpful but don't use it more than once per week. You may also benefit from the laser comb.

Book an appointment with a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. You are catching this early so your chances are very good. If however you are unwilling to use the medicine that will help you, you need to learn how to come to terms with your hair loss and live your life to the fullest anyways.

Take care,

Tracy

Thanks for the reply's guys