+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Strip method vs FUE? So confused!

I am a 43yr old female with diffused thinning on the top front of my head, I am confused at what method would be best. My thinning has remained the same for the last 4 or so years, I don't see it getting worse, yet. I was ready to make an appointment for the FUE method getting 1000 grafts but after reading a few posts I am really nervous about what the results may be and I don't want to do something out of desperation that may end up disastrous.

Is it a little more tricky with diffused thinning?
    Can I end up worse that before?

Help!

Rae,

Have you seen a doctor about your hair loss yet? If not, make sure you see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss - and make sure he or she is a member of the IAHRS. Here is a link to help you find one.

http://www.iahrs.org/member/

Also, have you tried managing your hair loss with medications or possibly low level laser therapy yet? If not, you should talk about these options with the doctor you choose. Surgery should be considered a last resort, especially for women. With that said, you need to make sure you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery. The doctor you choose will help you.

I wish you the best.

Transplanting to areas of diffuse thinning is definitely considered trickier, but doesn't present a massive challenge and will be routine for most surgeons. However, it does depend on just how thin the hair is. If your hair density hasn't dropped that far below what it once was then yes, you do risk making things worse with HT surgery, as planting follicles too close to the existing 'native' hair can cause damage to that hair, leading to it being lost. Basically, the advice a surgeon would give you on whether you are a candidate or not would depend on what he or she sees when examining you.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the post, Tracy..

This is definitely last resort, I have done all of the things you mentioned and feel that I am done with the temporary methods that have cost me thousands. It's very frustrating for a woman to deal with hair loss, it has totally wrecked my self esteem and my social life.

Thanks for the info, Matt..

I have been told I am a candidate for HT, I was interested in Neograft because it is done without cutting. What you are saying is what worries me, my follicles are still sort of close together which makes me nervous. I have a spot in the front where my hair parts to the side that is very noticeable, I was thinking of doing just that area to see how it works out. Would that be a wise thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    It's very frustrating for a woman to deal with hair loss, it has totally wrecked my self esteem and my social life.
    It is devastating. You need to be stronger than you ever thought you could be. It is much more diffucult to determine if a woman is a good candidate for hair transplant surgery. You need to be very careful about the doctor you choose. The doctor may need to monitor your hair for a while to determine if you have a stable zone.

Did you choose a doctor who is an IAHRS member?

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I have done all of the things you mentioned and feel that I am done with the temporary methods that have cost me thousands.
    Rae,

Can you tell me everything you have tried up to this point - and for how long? Please be as specific as you can.

Prior to having my surgery, I had not spent thousands even though I treated it for two years prior to surgery - and continue those treatments after surgery. So your statement makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Rae,

Can you tell me everything you have tried up to this point - and for how long? Please be as specific as you can.

Prior to having my surgery, I had not spent thousands even though I treated it for two years prior to surgery - and continue those treatments after surgery. So your statement makes me wonder.
    Tracy, can you post an email so I can send you the details?

Rae,

I do not know how to share my e-mail address with you privately.

Can you look at my "statistics" page and tell me if you can read any of the conversations I have had with other members? If you can't, then I know I can give you my e-mail address that way.

I am doing a friend request for you right now just in case we can have some privacy that way.

If a mod reads this and wants to help, please feel free to send my e-mail address to Rae.

It looks like we cannot do private messages here. I am looking in the women's hair loss project forum to see if we can do private messages over there.