+ Reply to Thread

Default Don't know if I have something here or not..opinions please, ty

This seriously has driven me to the brink of insanity.. what do you all think? Thinning, balding, suck quality of hair or just don't worry about this and things look alright? Thanks everyone for your time. BTW, 37 and haven't started any treatment at all. Also do you all think maybe I should throw some Rogaine in there for prevention? Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10045443996879_ORIG.jpg

Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	13351   Click image for larger version

Name:	45444069657_ORIG.jpg

Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	13352  

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Hi there,
    It is difficult to see with your length of hair. Seems you have a strong crown with no or very little thinning.

Would not worry now if I were you. If it is on your mind constantly, and you feel that you can see a change, I would consult with a Doctor specialized in hair loss.

I would not start using Rogaine on the crown. If you do not have any loss - you might make it worse with Rogaine now, but that is just my 2 cents.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It does look like you still have strong hair in the crown area. One of the reason why it might appear in certain angles that you are experiencing hair loss is because you have a very strong cowlick (swirl) in that area.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you everyone for your comments. Yeah I was blessed with a huge cowlick so that definitely makes sense why I may envision things that may not be reality. Thank you again everyone!!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

You have what appears in the single photo to be a very early case of hair thinning consistent with male pattern hair loss. I typically advise young men like yourself that if you want to do whatever you can to help slow down any possible progression of hair loss, to take Propecia/finasteride.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Thanks for the reply Dr. Epstein. I am in bad situation as far as income right now and know I won't be able to take Propecia and I know it's a hypothesis but from over your years, at my age 37, if I cannot take Propecia at this moment, could it bald pretty severly in a short time or end being a higher NW? Also do you have any other suggestions that could help, does taking a multi-vitamin help the quality of hair? Thanks for your time.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Epstein, MD View Post
    I typically advise young men like yourself that if you want to do whatever you can to help slow down any possible progression of hair loss, to take Propecia/finasteride.
    I hope Dr. Epstein that You also respect full disclosure policy before giving such advice. Even FDA says that however small, the risks are very real and can be very serious. In that sense, every patient should be presented with the full set of potential side effects, including the worst case scenarios and reports by the latest Boston and Washington study by Dr. Traish and Dr. Irwig.. only after having full insight into all risks related, the patient himself should make the decission on his own whether to take the drug or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jasinfla View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dr. Epstein. I am in bad situation as far as income right now and know I won't be able to take Propecia and I know it's a hypothesis but from over your years, at my age 37, if I cannot take Propecia at this moment, could it bald pretty severly in a short time or end being a higher NW? Also do you have any other suggestions that could help, does taking a multi-vitamin help the quality of hair? Thanks for your time.
    If you can't afford Propecia, ask a doctor to prescribe 5 mg finasteride pills and then cut those into quarters. You will save a lot of money.
    This method will give you about 1.25 mg of finasteride per day, instead of the 1 mg that Propecia would give you, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that the extra .25 mg makes a noticeable difference in effectiveness or side effects.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Not to ask you but by looking at my photos, does it look like I have a bad thinning problem or at the moment hair loss? Thank you.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by jasinfla View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Not to ask you but by looking at my photos, does it look like I have a bad thinning problem or at the moment hair loss? Thank you.
    I don't think so. Except for the line You have in the crown, but I don't think thats balding related, it probably comes natural. If You had thinning - it would be much more visible, in front and in the back.. first lines start to recede and circle pattern would be visible in the crown.. You don't have that.