Does hair dye contribute to hairloss? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Does hair dye contribute to hairloss?

Hey guys,

I first noticed I was losing hair about 3 years ago, when I was 25, and I found that by dying my hair black, I was able to camouflage it quite well. I still dye my hair, but I have noticed a progression from norwood 2 to the early stages of a norwood 3.

I began taking finasteride 30 days ago, and while researching studies of the efficacy of this drug, I found that study participants were not allowed to dye their hair whilst they were on finasteride.

This has made me wonder if hair dye has contirubted to the progression of my hairloss. Does anyone know if there any evidence out there that dying your hair can make MPB related hairloss worse?

Based on everything that I have learned (I am not a doctor!), the answer is no. Coloring and/or dying your hair cannot make hair loss worse, because hair loss is a medical condition that is, in a sense, within your body. The production of DHT within your body attacks the hair follicles from within, and slowly withers them away. Once hair has grown out of the hair follicle, it is really lifeless. So, you can do whatever you want to it.

TeeJay

Junior Member Richard Keller, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Hey guys,

I first noticed I was losing hair about 3 years ago, when I was 25, and I found that by dying my hair black, I was able to camouflage it quite well. I still dye my hair, but I have noticed a progression from norwood 2 to the early stages of a norwood 3.

I began taking finasteride 30 days ago, and while researching studies of the efficacy of this drug, I found that study participants were not allowed to dye their hair whilst they were on finasteride.

This has made me wonder if hair dye has contirubted to the progression of my hairloss. Does anyone know if there any evidence out there that dying your hair can make MPB related hairloss worse?
    Good question River,

Hair dye does not usually cause hair loss. However, harsh chemicals and bleaching could irritate the scalp and cause breakage. A healthy scalp provides a healty enviornment for hair.

The finasteride study would have controlled variables, so hair dye use would not be allowed during the study. Male pattern baldness is caused by genetic inheritance and DHT.

Regards,
    Dr. Richard Keller

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Based on everything that I have learned (I am not a doctor!), the answer is no. Coloring and/or dying your hair cannot make hair loss worse, because hair loss is a medical condition that is, in a sense, within your body. The production of DHT within your body attacks the hair follicles from within, and slowly withers them away. Once hair has grown out of the hair follicle, it is really lifeless. So, you can do whatever you want to it.

TeeJay
    Apologies for bumping a zombie thread, but can anybody (including TracyC) actually confirm that hair dye does not affect MPB?

Thanks

I can confirm. In my early stages of hair loss (Norwood 1.5-2A), I was advised by a hairdresser to dye my hair my natural colour so as to make my hairline appear thicker. I did that for a few years until it no longer really helped. I started doing this eight years ago, and I'm still only a Norwood 3A.

Maybe some very caustic colours could cause non-MPB hair loss, however. It's best to talk to a barber or hairdresser before using colour.

HiI recently tried the best hair growth for women and have been blown away by the results. Not only have I noticed significantly less hair falling out in the shower, but my hair also feels thicker and fuller overall. I highly recommend giving it a try if you're struggling with hair loss.

There is currently no definitive scientific evidence suggesting that dyeing your hair directly contributes to the progression of male pattern baldness (MPB). MPB is primarily caused by genetic factors and the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) affecting hair follicles. While some studies have explored the potential impact of hair dye on hair loss, the results have been inconclusive. Hair dye typically affects the hair shaft and does not directly target the hair follicles or interfere with DHT production. However, it's important to note that excessive or aggressive hair dyeing practices, such as frequent bleaching or chemical treatments, can weaken the hair shaft and potentially lead to hair breakage or damage. This can give the appearance of thinning or hair loss but does not affect the underlying MPB process. If you have concerns about the impact of hair dye on your hair loss, it's recommended to consult with a dermatologist or trichology's who specializes in hair and scalp health. They can evaluate your individual situation and provide personalized advice based on your specific needs and concerns.

gogrades.org reviews