+ Reply to Thread

Default 19 and smelling the coffee

I am a 19-year-old kid with a self-diagnosed receding hairline. I have not spoken to any professionals yet, I’ve barely spoken to anyone about my insecurities about my hairline, just a few close friends. I’ve always had a very large forehead, it sort of runs on my mother’s side of the family. My mom has a big forehead, as does her sister, as does her father, as well as my younger sister but there are no records to my knowledge of hair-loss on either side of the family. Growing up it was easy to talk to girls, and I was often the “class crush” of some of the girls in class many times the prettiest ones. Around the age of 16, I began to notice my hair beginning to thin on the left corner of my forehead. I didn’t think much of it, maybe I wear too many hats, I thought. Around this time I started to grow my hair longer than before, which was very short and I was growing it out to 3, 4, even as long as 5 inches. When my hair was shorter I would just let it fall over my forehead, but as it grew longer I would always push it back using hats or mousse or gels to hold it in place. This is when I really noticed a lot of hair falling off (age 17-18) in the shower, on my pillow, in hats, etc. Not an outlandish amount, but 20-40 hairs every time I showered. I ignored it and just kept on doing what I wanted with my hair. I figured that I was too young to be suffering from hair-loss or a receding hairline, up until recently. One day I was on a website called Omegle on which one can video chat with random strangers online (I don’t know what I was doing there, wasting my time in hindsight). Some friends had told me about it and claimed to have met really weird, funny people on the sight and I was bored so I gave it a try (lame excuse I know). The first person I came into contact with was a blonde guy, maybe a couple years older than me (I was 19 at this point) and the first thing he said was “Whoa dude, HUGE forehead.” I was really surprised at this statement and panicked, hitting the skip button to go to the next random stranger. To my surprise, the next person I talked to made a very similar comment. Offended and worried, I left the site and began to research cases of young males falling victim to balding and found that the ages where much younger than I had anticipated and that I may be balding. I looked at older pictures of myself and compared them to present day me and saw that my forehead had become slightly larger. At first, I wore hats all the time, every day, everywhere I went. Then I found that hats don’t help balding at all, especially not when the hair is forced back so I went to school with no hat for about a week. It seemed as though girls avoided talking to me, and I even heard a couple talk about me and laugh as if I wasn’t there. So naturally, I went back to the hat. I even bought a new one to spruce things up. At this point, I’m scared that by ignoring it my condition will only worsen. In fact, I know that’s exactly what will happen. I need help, I’m just too embarrassed to ask someone I know. I realize I might be making a big deal about this and blowing it out of proportion but I could really use a second opinion. I would be glad to see a doctor and consider treatment options but my monetary resources are extremely limited. I’m sure it sounds pretty dumb that some college kid thinks he’s balding but isn’t certain and is asking the internet to be sure, yet isn’t ready to pay for treatment. I don’t know man, they say ignorance is bliss but I like to face these sorts of things head on. Haha, no pun intended.

Get to a dermatologist or a doctor and they'll examine your scalp and give you all the answers. You'll probably get prescribed finasteride if it's as bad as you say it is which will most likely improve your hair A LOT or you can consider minoxidil but finasteride is easier to use and more effective.

Hey man! I'm also 19 and have some pretty bad recession going on. Do you have any pictures of your situation? I've been on propecia for like 7 or 8 months now and I feel like it hasn't gotten better at all. I just want to compare experiences with people my age dealing with this shit.