+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine or Propecia...which one?

Hello all,

In the summer, I started to notice a bit of hair loss, but played it off. I still do not think it is bad yet...but I want to stop it in its roots. I went to the dermatologist, who really wasn't nearly as helpful as I had hoped (wasted 75 dollars!). I asked him a few questions about treatment, of course we talked about Rogaine and Propecia. The Propecia is a bit pricy (70 for a month I think). I asked him about generic, but he said there was no generic 1 mg propecia (which he said was the theraputic dosage for hair loss). But I have seen otherwise online...

Really, I can only afford one, Propecia or Rogain. I am only 23, so I am worried the harmones in Propecia will mess me up (the Dr. said they will not). Rograin is cheaper, correct? Does it work as well? Right now, I am fine with what I have; I do not need to regrow hair, I just need to keep what I have.

Which do you think is better for me to use, if I can only go for one, and not the Big 3? Propecia or Rogain? Anything else I might want to use instead?

Anytips on someone just starting down this scary path of fighting hair loss?

thanks to all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg

Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	17516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.jpg

Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	17517  

kinda sounds like you already made up your mind. rogaine is cheaper and doesn't mess with your hormones. just give it a try and hopefully it works for you.

proscar

10char

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    proscar

10char
    This, Proscar is about 70 bucks for a years supply, just cut it into quarters.

Proscar will give you more benefits than rogaine will(it will most likely halt the loss and potentially reinforce what you have.). That's if you're not scared of the small chance of sides.

Try Big Mountain Drugs in Canada.

This is where I get the generic Propecia at a 1/3 the price of USA based pharmacies.

Type Finasteride Tablet
    [Generic version of Propecia] 1 mg Generic 200 tabs 65.00

One stimulates hair growth as a vasilodilator providing blood supply to feed starved hair follicles choked off from growth... in this case Minoxidil.

The other works internally to clamp down on the hormones that are giving the orders for that process to happen negating both 5AR reductase enyzme types I and II and inhibiting DHT...aka finasteride and known as the following as well( Proscar, Propecia, and Finpecia ).

SO whereas one is more expensive.. one does more damage control than the other based what it is doing overall. This is why people combine both in concert with Nizoral a dandruff and psoriasis combating shampoo which has Ketoconazole a known anti-androgen inhibitor at 1 pecrent and 2 percent ratios. With all of those in concert used for a year or more the battle can be won.. At best with just Rogaine you can retain what you have or at least slow the shedding process that will still be happening albeit slower.

If you are concerned about the price buy proscar and split into 4 (5 is a hard work to do as a result of the shape of the pills) and if you worry about that broken pieces will lose effectiveness just take one piece after splitting and throw the rest away it would still be cheaper than propecia.