+ Reply to Thread

Default Dr Edward Maitland Ball and UK Clinics in General

Hi,

I have been doing research on and off for a few years now but this is the year I think will take the plunge. I am based in the UK and the one thing I always hear on forums is... "Don't get it done in the UK!"

Is this still the case? I would be interested in hearing genuine advice from people who actually know, not those who are repeating the same views I have heard around the web. I'm seriously looking at the Maitland Clinic and Dr Edward Ball. Among all the noise about UK clinics, he does seem to stand out above the rest as a highly reputable surgeon. He actually does the procedures too, which is important to me.

My hair situation is - 37 years old, not massively losing hair and quite stable. I'd guess somewhere between N2 or 3. I would be looking mainly at frontal and temple regions.

I was on holiday in Turkey last year and took a day out to fly to Istanbul and spoke to 2 clinics there (one of which is very high profile). To be honest, I didn't leave either with a great deal of confidence. Yes, they said they could offer me great results but I got the feeling they say that to everyone.

Any advice greatly welcome, especially anyone with first hand experience with Dr Edward ball.

Thanks.

Kudos for being able to withstand the temptation that is the Turkish hair transplant marketing machine. Dr. Ball is supremely talented in both FUT and FUE. Yes, ,we have a financial relationship, but we wouldn't if I didn't believe him to be one of the best on the planet, let alone the UK. The Harley Street Clinic is also quite talented, and that's with no relationship aside from knowing the owner.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTillman View Post
    Kudos for being able to withstand the temptation that is the Turkish hair transplant marketing machine. Dr. Ball is supremely talented in both FUT and FUE. Yes, ,we have a financial relationship, but we wouldn't if I didn't believe him to be one of the best on the planet, let alone the UK. The Harley Street Clinic is also quite talented, and that's with no relationship aside from knowing the owner.
    That's exactly what it felt like... a sales pitch. One of them had given me the price before they actually did any checking of my hair! The "very high profile" clinic (i'm sure we all know where i'm talking about) were a bit more thorough but the thing that stuck with me was the famous name above the door would not be doing the surgery. I know there are some very good surgeons in Turkey but the whole market there is a bit of a minefield, its hard to know who to trust. Dr Keser is another on the possible list but I couldn't get a consultation that fitted in with my visit.

You mentioned the Harley Street Clinic, Dr Reddy is another that I have considered and would probably be the only other UK based surgeon.

Hey Ross, I was in the same boat as you with what sounds like a similar stage of hairloss. After a year or so of research I had an FUE H/T done last summer with Dr Ball and can recommend him and the team (note to self: must update my thread!) I found him to be ethical and meticulous. As a bonus you also get to talk to his representative David Anderson, who is a wealth of information and has always been willing to answer all of my q's both before and after surgery. I would seriously recommend heading down to Portsmouth to have a chat with him & David. I'd imagine you'd notice a big positive difference from the Turkish places you visited even at the consultation stage. Feel free to drop me a message if you'd like any further info.

I would only ever consider 2 surgeons in the UK with one being Dr Ball and the other Dr Reddy. Throwing the dice with the other options there imo.

Quote Originally Posted by RossDUFC View Post
    That's exactly what it felt like... a sales pitch. One of them had given me the price before they actually did any checking of my hair! The "very high profile" clinic (i'm sure we all know where i'm talking about) were a bit more thorough but the thing that stuck with me was the famous name above the door would not be doing the surgery. I know there are some very good surgeons in Turkey but the whole market there is a bit of a minefield, its hard to know who to trust. Dr Keser is another on the possible list but I couldn't get a consultation that fitted in with my visit.

You mentioned the Harley Street Clinic, Dr Reddy is another that I have considered and would probably be the only other UK based surgeon.
    Issue with Turkey is there seems to be literally hundreds of clinics scattered around and out of all those, probably only 5-7 worth considering and even some of those may be ruled out due to not fitting a certain criteria. Been impressed by some of the work coming out of Dr Pekiner's clinic in Ankara. Believe he does the whole procedure himself and sounds pretty ethical.

Hi mate,

First post in here. Have viewed these forums for a while though.

I took the plunge and had my surgery at the Maitland Clinic on Friday.

Obviously I can’t speak for the results as of yet, but Dr Ball is a top guy.

I travelled to meet with him and David Anderson in London last November and booked my surgery thereafter.

Surgery was smooth, relaxed and most importantly sensible. No mad 18 year old hair line. If you want that then best go somewhere else. Currently the result is very tidy, so much so you can hardly tell I’ve had anything done.

Looking forward to the months ahead.

Any questions feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers.

So who did u choose mate at the end. Dr Maitland seems terrific. So does Dr reddy

Hey mate,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hows your hair growth so far after the surgery? I am new on this forum and looking for advice. Been researching about Dr Ball, and it would be helpful if you can share your results after the surgery.

I have recently started loosing considerable amount of hair (since the lockdown) and hoping to get H/T before it gets worse.

Thanks

I had 2500 FUE done with Dr Ball last Friday.

The whole experience was flawless and I'd make the same choice again.

I'll do a topic and post some pics a little later when I have time later.