What happens if you take finasteride with no hair loss? On the verge of ordering - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default What happens if you take finasteride with no hair loss? On the verge of ordering

Made a thread a few days ago. Might've been a couple of weeks ago, no idea what day it is with this pandemic. Anyway, I have been heavily researching finasteride.

Right now I don't know if my hair is thinning, or has thinned. I was worried about my hair when I was around 19, and started to obsessively take pictures and post them online. The verdict came back that my hair was light coloured, fine, straight, and I have a red scalp, I think it's psoriasis, but no shampoo has helped. Was also told I have a centre-ish parting coming from my crown. I'm 30 now.

I periodically take pics of my hair, maybe once every two months to monitor it and I haven't really seen a change - I still don't think I can see one particularly - but after cutting my own hair I started to panic, and then after my most recent hair cut, I'm concerned - yet again.

I know I've hacked at my hair so that won't help. If I take a pic directly downwards onto my hair you can't really see any scalp. If I do it under direct light, sun or artificial, you can see some scalp near my "parting" which is what bothered me years ago, but otherwise, it looks much the same as it did then. My issue is when I take a pic of the top my hair at a slight angle - you can see more scalp, especially in direct light. Now, my hair does stand up naturally, but even with product in flattening my hair, you can see scalp at this angle. Also, I haven't included a pic, but if I wet, or use product in my hair and stick it up, take a pic against light, you can see right down to my scalp and it looks terrible. Now I don't know if that is thinning, or just straight, fine, light coloured hair standing up, which means light is able to get through and then show scalp... I don't know.

So yeah, I don't know whether to jump onto finasteride, just in case. My only worry is, if this is just my hair, and it's not changed in 10 years, would I be taking the medication for no reason - and potentially going through the side effects it brings.... for no reason?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSFix_20200527_225333.jpg

Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	67441

Light shines through hair. My wife parts her hair and you can see her scalp, it's no biggy. If your major concern is that 'when you stand in direct sunlight with your hair wet and cut a certain way and you look at it from the top at a certain angle' you don't like the way it looks, I don't think you have much to worry about.

If I was you, I'd just start taking finasteride. If you start to experience side-effects, then stop taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by clee984 View Post
    Light shines through hair. My wife parts her hair and you can see her scalp, it's no biggy. If your major concern is that 'when you stand in direct sunlight with your hair wet and cut a certain way and you look at it from the top at a certain angle' you don't like the way it looks, I don't think you have much to worry about.

If I was you, I'd just start taking finasteride. If you start to experience side-effects, then stop taking it.
    Yes basically what you've said. Certain angles, direct light, wet hair etc are my concerns. Realise that not everyone will look at your hair at these angles but still, it bothers me. Especially when I took the pic downward and my hair was sticking up, that didn't look good, especially under light.

So there wouldn't be any harm taking it? My concern is if I take it and it didn't do anything because "this is just my hair", then I stopped, whether that would kickstart MBP or something. Or I could just start and carry on, and I'll never know if it's working. You know?

Quote Originally Posted by jholway View Post
    Yes basically what you've said. Certain angles, direct light, wet hair etc are my concerns. Realise that not everyone will look at your hair at these angles but still, it bothers me. Especially when I took the pic downward and my hair was sticking up, that didn't look good, especially under light.

So there wouldn't be any harm taking it? My concern is if I take it and it didn't do anything because "this is just my hair", then I stopped, whether that would kickstart MBP or something. Or I could just start and carry on, and I'll never know if it's working. You know?
    Would there be harm in taking it? I dunno man, it's a drug, there's always possible side effects. But I take fin, and so do millions of others, and it has no real impact on my life except being a little pill that I take.

The irritating things about a drug like fin are that 'you never really know if it's working' because it has an effect over a long period. It's prevention rather than cure - would your hair have done that anyway? No real way of knowing, unless you have an identical twin or something who doesn't take the pill, and you take it for a few years. All that being said, and while I have no doubt that a lot of guys who experienced side effects from fin are completely sincere, I think a lot of the controversy about finasteride side effects is 'internet talk' and should be taken with a large pinch of salt.