Quitting Finasteride after 10 months? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Quitting Finasteride after 10 months?

hi,

i am 24 years old and experiencing hairline recession since i am 20. i decided to use proscar (a generic finasteride) 10 months ago. my daily dosage varies between 1.25 or 1 mg (i cut 5mg pill into 4-5 pieces to obtain it).

during my experience, i haven't noticed any benefit. my hair is still thin and i have lost some hair from the temples. my hairline has receded a bit. especially, the corner areas of my hairline has been lost.

i have experienced some side effects from the drug. i have put on some weight and i have no longer "morning woods". my testosterone level has decreased a little bit and i have a "brain fog". i have lost my concentration.

that's why i am thinking about quitting.

although i have lost a lot of hair in recent years, i still have hair because i am in the early stages of hair recession (between nw2 and nw3) (i'll upload some pics to show my situation, i haven't washed my hair for about 2 days. so my hair is a bit less lively and less bulky)

my question is:

1) should i really quit?

2) if i quit, am i going to have a sudden hair loss in the short run? i have read that people who quit lose hair that has been kept on the scalp due to drug usage (the condition of absence of dht)?

3) my father is 56 and have a receded hairline (norwood 3 vertex) but he is not bald. things are really good on my mother's side (my grandpa has a better hair than me although he is 90) does it mean that my hair loss will progress until nw3 vertex and stop?

i will really appreciate your recommendations..

thanks for the answers guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 15-10-2017, 11 23 32 AM.jpg

Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	54185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 15-10-2017, 11 23 52 AM.jpg

Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	54186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 15-10-2017, 11 23 39 AM.jpg

Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	54187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 15-10-2017, 11 24 00 AM.jpg

Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	54188  

R those ur before and after pics? I do not see much loss after 4 years. Your hair actually looks pretty good to me for a 24 year old. Most ppl probably can't even spot ur hair loss.

None of us can tell you what will happen to your hair if you quit.

they are not before after. it is my current situation from different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by johndalton View Post
    hi,

i am 24 years old and experiencing hairline recession since i am 20. i decided to use proscar (a generic finasteride) 10 months ago. my daily dosage varies between 1.25 or 1 mg (i cut 5mg pill into 4-5 pieces to obtain it).

during my experience, i haven't noticed any benefit. my hair is still thin and i have lost some hair from the temples. my hairline has receded a bit. especially, the corner areas of my hairline has been lost.

i have experienced some side effects from the drug. i have put on some weight and i have no longer "morning woods". my testosterone level has decreased a little bit and i have a "brain fog". i have lost my concentration.

that's why i am thinking about quitting.

although i have lost a lot of hair in recent years, i still have hair because i am in the early stages of hair recession (between nw2 and nw3) (i'll upload some pics to show my situation, i haven't washed my hair for about 2 days. so my hair is a bit less lively and less bulky)

my question is:

1) should i really quit?

2) if i quit, am i going to have a sudden hair loss in the short run? i have read that people who quit lose hair that has been kept on the scalp due to drug usage (the condition of absence of dht)?

3) my father is 56 and have a receded hairline (norwood 3 vertex) but he is not bald. things are really good on my mother's side (my grandpa has a better hair than me although he is 90) does it mean that my hair loss will progress until nw3 vertex and stop?

i will really appreciate your recommendations..

thanks for the answers guys
    1. Up to you. I know I was on propecia for several years and still had some loss, not a lot but some, then I figured it wasn't working so I went off for a few years and lost a lot more hair than I had in the previous few. I think for most propecia just slows the loss down. that means if your 22 and taking propecia you might have the same hair at 30 as you would at 26 without taking it.
    2.no way to tell.
    3. One of the frustrating things about hair loss is there is no real pattern. I have friends who started losing hair at 20 and at 40 are still only NW3's. On the other hand I have a friend who had really good hair at 30 and is completely bald at 40 and his dad is probably a NW3 at 65! Its almost impossible to tell how the baldness gene will represent. Some become NW6 but have diffuse thinning and are still able to look like they have some hair. you just never know unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    1. Up to you. I know I was on propecia for several years and still had some loss, not a lot but some, then I figured it wasn't working so I went off for a few years and lost a lot more hair than I had in the previous few. I think for most propecia just slows the loss down. that means if your 22 and taking propecia you might have the same hair at 30 as you would at 26 without taking it.
    2.no way to tell.
    3. One of the frustrating things about hair loss is there is no real pattern. I have friends who started losing hair at 20 and at 40 are still only NW3's. On the other hand I have a friend who had really good hair at 30 and is completely bald at 40 and his dad is probably a NW3 at 65! Its almost impossible to tell how the baldness gene will represent. Some become NW6 but have diffuse thinning and are still able to look like they have some hair. you just never know unfortunately.
    thanks for the answer mate. have experienced any side effects? and if so, was it disappeared after you quit?