My surgery with Dr LUpanzula 13/10 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My surgery with Dr LUpanzula 13/10

I initially met Dr Lupanzula and his wife Sandra in London in January at one of his seminars which I was made aware of by Joe Tillman's bulletin on his site. I would also say that Joe Tillman has been incredibly helpful in corresponding with me over the last 18 months.
    Having had my front, mid area of my scalp restored by Dr Rahal in 2007 (and a brilliant job he made of it) with almost 3000 grafts via strip. I thought it was getting high time to look into getting my crown covered as it was becoming more noticeable as well as affecting my self esteem. In 2015 I suffered a mild form of a major stroke. This came as a shock being perfectly fit and healthy but my blood pressure and cholesterol are sadly high due to hereditary. I did email Dr Lupanzula before the trip to London with my concerns about whether he would consider surgery on a stroke sufferer. Surprisingly, he still seemed willing to see me despite this setback. I had a very positive meeting with the Dr and his wife Sandra with a view to restoring the crown. I was pleased to hear that as long as I was taking my meds I should be fine for surgery. He told me that I am a good candidate for a transplant. I came away feeling positive and had a good feeling. I liked the fact that it is a small, family business with good ethics and we also share the same Christian faith.

Last week I had an offer of a cancelation 13/10 so I had to make quick arrangements for my flight. I booked a very cheap Ryanair flight from Manchester on the 12th to return on the 14th. I was kept informed by one of the team, an extremely nice person called Gianluca who was to meet me off my shuttle bus from Charleroi airport (an hour's drive into Brussels which ironically cost more than my flight at ) He also showed me to my hotel and was very obliging. Later that day I had my consultation with the Dr which went very well. In fact, there is a genuine warmth from the person who completely put me at ease having travelled into an unfamiliar country facing the prospect of surgery.
    The next day I had 1995 grafts in my crown by Dr Lupanzula. The care, and professionalism from the team was above and beyond my expectations. The surgery went very well except for some bleeding which my blood thinning meds were the obvious cause. Dr Lupanzula was getting quite concerned when it was still bleeding well into the evening but he gave me some medication to counteract the flow which eventually worked. When something unexpected like that happens ( and it's a first for the dr) it's very reassuring to know how capable he is, not just as a hair surgeon. The next morning I was expecting to feel swollen and groggy. Not a bit of it ! I felt great and had a breakfast before my post op with the doc. He was very pleased the bleeding had stopped and washed and dressed my scalp. I like the fact that they give you a bag of after care products that again have a professional quality. Even a cool black bandana for wearing on the way home, something I was worried about being self conscious. I would also like to say that Gianluca was exceptional in his help with the logistics of the whole trip, right down to the small details. A lovely, patient person who is an asset to the team. I was given a usb stick with the photos Dr Lupanzula took before and after surgery of which I will share here. One week on from surgery and I am doing fine. I would say that about 4 days after surgery I started to get some pain from my donor area which lasted a couple of days and has subsided. Interestingly I had no pain the first 3 days after surgery. Perhaps the anesthetic has fully worn off ?
    Anyone considering to go from the UK I would highly recommend. It was suggested that I take the Eurostar to get direct into Brussels but being based in the North West I would have the cost of getting to London by car or rail (not cheap) as well as the more expensive Eurostar. Flying out for £7.99 seemed a no brainer but if you are based in the South perhaps the Eurostar would be a better option.
    Anyway, here are my first images.

http://soundgrower.weebly.com/

And 8 days post op

Thank you for your comments, Soundgrower. Your photos look great and I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Hi, Here is my 1 month update. As you can see the hair has started to fall out which is expected. Everything is healing well and feeling itchy. Had a bit of a worry as I bumped my head, not too bad but enough to be sore the next morning, in the crown area but hopefully 1 month on I should be in the safe zone.

10 weeks in and no growth to speak of. Seems like thin patches around the donor areas but this would be shock loss ?

3 months 2 days

Hello Soundgower, just read your blog. how is the result 4 years after the operation?

Not quite the full density I was expecting but better than it was. Still looks like a patch in the centre, which looking at the even amount of grafts in the above photo, you would think wouldn't show. Its hard to say really as I don’t see the back of my head. I suppose the coverage was quite wide so probably not wise to pack too dense. Micro pigmentation might be the best compromise for the full effect but that doesn't last and costs almost as much as a transplant. Lets just say that I am still conscious people stood behind me might be staring at my crown, which is part the reson for the surgery in the first place. Again its far better than it was and looking in the mirror under different light is hard to judge as sometimes it looks thicker.

thanks for your feedback.

Hi
    Would you have any current pictures to see the progress?